• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Rant on INTPs

ygolo

My termites win
There is the top 3 reason INTs sick thread and INTPs and Sociopaths thread.

Is that enough? Maybe. But since an self-typed ENTP started a similar thread (and I'll let an INTJ and ENTJ do the honors for the other NTs)....

Seems like a good time to start a rant on INTPs as well.

Then we can do a comparison.

The common ones I hear are:
space cadet/absent minded professor/disembodied mind
insensitive
overly-critical
overly self-critical
arrogant/sees self as "prime mover"
lazy
easily distracted
difficult to understand

But in the interest of improvement, say we add implementable suggestions for improvement as well.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Non-thorough when it comes to lists.

(There, that's enough to hold us, isn't it?)

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
1. They can't just stick to a decision, or just move ahead with something.

2. They always find excuses to act in opposition to what they actually want to do.

3. They project negative emotions onto others.

4. They can't stand social customs, and rebel against them even when there's no reason to.

5. They're too monotone and have inexpressive faces.

6. They're too accepting of nature and truth, and don't question anything or anyone's right to exist/be true.

Is that enough, or do you need more?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
There's this one INTP that:
  • Leaves his boots in the walkway where I'll trip over them
  • Has an alarm clock that is way too bright
  • Messes up the blankets and only makes them worse the more he tries to fix them

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, I liked these:

1. They can't just stick to a decision, or just move ahead with something.
2. They always find excuses to act in opposition to what they actually want to do.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Let's see if I can come up with something...oh yes here are a few things:

-Get stuck inside their own head to the point that they can't see any other viewpoint

-Can leave family and friends behind for weeks with absolutely no contact

-Seem to have absolutely no emotions

-Bland, monotone, dry

-Theoretical to the point that no practicality can be extracted from their ideas

-Critical of others without any encouragement to balance

-Unaware of many of their personal feelings

-Can be overly rigid in their thinking

-totally inconsiderate of others feelings

I'll be merciful and stop there....:hug:

Helfeather

MBTI Type
IXTX
GET IT DONE DAMMIT.

YOU HAVE SOME -GREAT- IDEAS, WHY NOT VOICE AND BRING THEM INTO REALITY!?

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
4. They can't stand social customs, and rebel against them even when there's no reason to.

6. They're too accepting of nature and truth, and don't question anything or anyone's right to exist/be true.

*rolls eyes*

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
They're too accepting of nature and truth, and don't question anything or anyone's right to exist/be true.
Quite right.

In the name of licitness, I command you to disappear!

Seems like a good time to start a rant on INTPs as well.
Inclined to furtiveness not for concern for privacy but to limit social or public consequences of action.

May believe efficiency of cognition will undoubtedly extend to that of implementation.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
- Lazy and likes to work the least amount possible
- Negativistic and sees the glass half empty
- Unreliable. Holds word depending on self-interest/mood.
- Passive-Aggressive. Tends to value covert aggression and manipulation of people's thoughts instead of direct confrontation.
- Secretive and holds information to keep power and upper-hand
- Autocratic and does not consult others in decisions
- Pours cold water on people's enthusiasm and happiness, as any manifestation of positive emotion is seen as superfluous
- Overvalues negative feelings such as sadness and even assimilates the ability to have these feelings with intellectual depth
- Pedantic and fastidious about spelling, grammar and theoretical frameworks
- Disagreeable and cold attitude towards people
- Lack of realism and interest in subjects that hold no practical value and benefit
- Overly critical in a non-objective way. Does not establish criteria before criticism, but adapts criteria in function of possibility of criticism
- Disagreeable. Will say the opposite just to say the opposite. If this is pinpointed to them, will agree. If it is shown to them that they agree when it is pinpointed to them, will disagree.
- Tendency to believe in intellectual superiority over other human beings, despite any measure of the real world gains of this so called intelligence.
- Undervalues facts, measures and any real world element that might contradict an internal thought system
- Hides behind philosophy to diffuse contradiction of own ideas (i.e. "there is no such thing as objective truth", "everything is relative anyway", ...)
- Lack of awareness of social dynamics
- Gets stuck in thought and is bad at making decisions
- Poor at managing people
- Bad at managing own finances
- Does not act responsibly enough with family
- Overly sensitive self while being overly insensitive to other people
- In romantic relationships, the type willing to spend the least possible amount of time with partner
- Bad eating habits

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
- Passive-Aggressive. Tends to value covert aggression and manipulation of people's thoughts instead of direct confrontation.

- Pours cold water on people's enthusiasm and happiness, as any manifestation of positive emotion is seen as superfluous
- Overvalues negative feelings such as sadness and even assimilates the ability to have these feelings with intellectual depth
- Lack of realism and interest in subjects that hold no practical value and benefit
- Overly critical in a non-objective way. Does not establish criteria before criticism, but adapts criteria in function of possibility of criticism
- Disagreeable. Will say the opposite just to say the opposite. If this is pinpointed to them, will agree. If it is shown to them that they agree when it is pinpointed to them, will disagree.
- Tendency to believe in intellectual superiority over other human beings, despite any measure of the real world gains of this so called intelligence.
- Undervalues facts, measures and any real world element that might contradict an internal thought system
- Hides behind philosophy to diffuse contradiction of own ideas (i.e. "there is no such thing as objective truth", "everything is relative anyway", ...)

- In romantic relationships, the type willing to spend the least possible amount of time with partner
- Bad eating habits

Several of those don't sound like INTP traits at all, actually. Many of them are terrible with spelling and punctuation, for instance (I highlighted in bold all the traits I know that INTP's don't possess.) Did you just write a generalized list of potentially negative traits a person might possess, and then just apply it to INTP's without adjusting for their particular idiosyncrasies? Did you think no one would notice?

O

Oberon

I have known an INTP to do this because the alternative was to concede an argument, which he was constitutionally incapable of doing at the time.

In fairness, I think it's more of a maturity thing than a type thing.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Several of those don't sound like INTP traits at all, actually. Many of them are terrible with spelling and punctuation, for instance (I highlighted in bold all the traits I know that INTP's don't possess.) Did you just write a generalized list of potentially negative traits a person might possess, and then just apply it to INTP's without adjusting for their particular idiosyncrasies? Did you think no one would notice?

LOL, sounds like someone had a very bad experience with a maladjusted INTP, morelike. I know I am pedantic about spelling, but I often find my grammar slipping here and there...

A well adjusted INTP exhibits much fewer of the traits Maverick has listed. I have always been rather good at managing my finances, for instance. "Unreliable" isn't a trait anybody's used against me. "Gets stuck in thought and bad at making decisions" is a good sign of an inexperienced INTP, but one who's been put in a position of serious responsibility learns how to "shoot first, ask questions later" after a while... and do so with the best guess possible in the scenario. (that's where an INTP's logic can shine, actually, and the ability to effectively roll with the situation as it unfolds, while simultaneously identifying potential problems before they happen, is one of my strong points... especially with technical stuff)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
- Bad eating habits

-

This statement is false. INTPs, as dominant Thinkers tend to value fairness and tough-minded decision-making. More so than the ETJs because the Thinking preferrence of ITPs is stronger.

- -
- Passive-Aggressive. Tends to value covert aggression and manipulation of people's thoughts instead of direct confrontation..

That's called projection. Passive aggressive is more along the lines of ETJs, and ETPs with their machiavellian manuevers. INTPs usually either avoid conflict altogether, or if they deem the problem important enough to take care of will be very direct. More direct in their approach than the ETJs because of a stronger focus (dominant Introverted Judgment) and stronger Thinking preferrence.

- - -
- Tendency to believe in intellectual superiority over other human beings, despite any measure of the real world gains of this so called intelligence...
Arrogance tends to be rare among healthy INTPs who have found a sense of higher purpose (this is the ultimate end of introverted judgment). Only INTPs who have not found anything bigger than themselves become arrogant. As Paul James pointed out, INTPs appear arrogant to others because of their aloofness and intense focus on private intellectual pursuits, yet real arrogance tends to be rare because they are absorbed in some esoteric pursuit of an internal purpose. Dominant Thinkers tend to be highly self-confident because they dont need approval, yet ITPs tend not to be arrogant because they are less likely to compare themselves to others. Whilst ETJs do tend to be arrogant because they are more likely to compare themselves to others and hold themselves and others to a standard observable by all. If they prevail by that standard, they will confidently declare themselves superior to the other person.

Again, projection on your part.

- - - -
-Hides behind philosophy to diffuse contradiction of own ideas (i.e. "there is no such thing as objective truth", "everything is relative anyway", ...)...

Relativism is very rare among INTPs, as the highest possible Ti purpose that one's imagine could possibly conjure is the pursuit of truth. In most cases when it appears the INTP hides behind philosophy it is highly likely that he is misunderstood as communication tends not to be his strong side. Moreover, INTPs tend not to be image conscious, hence they are unlikely to save face. That is more along the lines of ENTs. Projection, once more.

- - - -
-Overly sensitive self while being overly insensitive to other people..

Emotional sensitivity tends to be rare even among neurotic INTPs. They tend ot be highly self-critical, much like all strong Thinking types (especially NTs), the ENTJ is a kindred spirit in this regard. Though this does not make them emotionally sensitive in a way that Feelers tend to be. INTPs, just like all dominant Ts tend to be highly critical of themselves and others. Usually, introverts--being more intrapunitive than extrapunitive tend to be more critical of self than others. However, ETJs, on the other hand, being more extrapunitive than intrapunitive tend to be more critical of others than of themselves. So, another projection...

- Bad eating habits

-
-Pedantic and fastidious about spelling, grammar and theoretical frameworks

No, that is a J quality. INTPs tend to be fastidious about ideas rather than about grammar. EJs are the most likely to be fastidious about grammar because of their strong J preferrence. As J is about conventional regulations which grammar is one of.

- -
-Gets stuck in thought and is bad at making decisions

ITPs, as dominant T types tend to excell at impersonal decisions. INTPs tend not to do well with the common-place extroverted judgment decisions, though tend to make impersonal decisions well, the more complex--the better.

easily distracted

INTPs focus more intensely than any other type--dominant Ti preferrence (intense inner focus) backed up by Intuition. That of course is provided that they are interested in what they are doing, as their T applies focus internally and therefore requires that the activity be of importance to the INTP. Yet for the ETJs, this doesnt have to be as activities are externally defined and not internally.

Last edited by a moderator:

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
Come on, you can take revenge in the ENTJ rant thread

I have an ENTJ mother -- if I feel like ranting about ENTJs, I can always pick up the phone and bitch. ;)

I just usually find these "Vent All Things That Sux0rz About Type _____ Here!" threads to be unproductive, and frankly, boring.

But I'm sure someone will get around to making a thread for every single frickin' type -- all in the name of fair play, of course. :rolleyes:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I have seen a fair number of the behaviors Maverick has described on the two INTP forums I have participated in. Not all INTPs have all of them, of course, but they certainly aren't counter-indicated by the INTP label.