• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Rant on ENTPs

Usehername

On a mission
ENTPs are Ne-dominated, which means they are interested in the thought processes/ behaviors of others and how that interconnects and relates to others- even if they know something they personally feel is wrong or right. For you to assert and dominate that your judgment is correct over all others without asking their opinion indicates an ISFP personality, which is what I think you are. :)

I highly doubt this is simply Ne related. Look at all the types on this board seeking to understand.

p.s. i'm pretty confident of her being an ENTP.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I highly doubt this is simply Ne related. Look at all the types on this board seeking to understand.

Alright then, I would have to ask what makes you so confident? Since ENTPs seems to be a minority on this board:

1. How many ENTPs have you known in person?

2. What is your relationship to digest to make you think she is an ENTP?

3. What is your personality type?

4. What is your population sample? And your personal judgments on ENTPs?

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
God, I want to smack ESTJs sometimes... No offense, I'm just basing it off the Very Large Population Sample I have known For A Long Time.

I've known digest for quite a while on the boards. She's an ENTP. Get over it.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP

God, I want to smack ESTJs sometimes... No offense, I'm just basing it off the Very Large Population Sample I have known For A Long Time.

I've known digest for quite a while on the boards. She's an ENTP. Get over it.

thank you!

ENTPs are Ne-dominated, which means they are interested in the thought processes/ behaviors of others and how that interconnects and relates to others- even if they know something they personally feel is wrong or right.

yes, we are. very much so. however, that doesn't mean we never come to a conclusion about our findings. if we didn't, we'd never be able to move on to the next thought. what, you think that because we're curious that we just stay confused indefinitely about the same thing?

in order to learn, you have to decide at some point that you've figured something out to a reasonable degree.

For you to assert and dominate that your judgment is correct over all others...

am i supposed to not know myself? am i supposed to think you know me better and give you an ear because you read a few posts? i've self-analyzed myself since birth. i guarantee you, i know who i am as well as you know you.

...without asking their opinion indicates an ISFP personality which is what I think you are. :)

really. well, i don't think you're hot or male. you'll have to prove it to my satisfaction.

Alright then, I would have to ask what makes you so confident? Since ENTPs seems to be a minority on this board:

1. How many ENTPs have you known in person?

2. What is your relationship to digest to make you think she is an ENTP?

3. What is your personality type?

4. What is your population sample? And your personal judgments on ENTPs?

i know the one you're speaking about better than you or anyone else does. concentrate on you, and try waiting for others to ask for your opinion about their innermost workings before giving it. that'll be your big clue that they need you.

as for me and my type. i never asked, so think what you want, i'm done defending something i shouldn't have to defend in the first place.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For you to assert and dominate that your judgment is correct over all others without asking their opinion indicates an ISFP personality, which is what I think you are. :)
:happy2:

I must remember this for the future...

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
thank you!

yes, we are. very much so. however, that doesn't mean we never come to a conclusion about our findings. if we didn't, we'd never be able to move on to the next thought. what, you think that because we're curious that we just stay confused indefinitely about the same thing?

in order to learn, you have to decide at some point that you've figured something out to a reasonable degree.

am i supposed to not know myself? am i supposed to think you know me better and give you an ear because you read a few posts? i've self-analyzed myself since birth. i guarantee you, i know who i am as well as you know you.

really. well, i don't think you're hot or male. you'll have to prove it to my satisfaction.

i know the one you're speaking about better than you or anyone else does. concentrate on you, and try waiting for others to ask for your opinion about their innermost workings before giving it. that'll be your big clue that they need you.

as for me and my type. i never asked, so think what you want, i'm done defending something i shouldn't have to defend in the first place.

Well no need to get touchy and defensive digest. I was just throwing out some ideas out there, and you didn't have to take it as a personal attack. :) I'm just curious about your personality type is all.

It's interesting you say you self-analyzed yourself since birth. It indicates that you are what you personally analyze which it typical of introverts. However, given that your personality type is accurate of you (and remember I'm just a newbie to the MBTI theory ;) ) I would think you would want to integrate other people's analyses as well.

Oh well, we're all so different aren't we?

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
:happy2:

I must remember this for the future...

I actually like ISFPs. But being that they are coming from a completely opposite point of view, our thinking styles are responses are different, but most ISFPs I've personally known have been great people. :)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i'm done defending something i shouldn't have to defend in the first place.

You're good, gal, you're good. *slings an arm around you* I'd know an ENTP if I were blind in one eye and deaf in both ears. :D

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I actually like ISFPs. But being that they are coming from a completely opposite point of view, our thinking styles are responses are different, but most ISFPs I've personally known have been great people. :)

An ISFP would be an excellent match for you. My mother is an ESTJ and I've pushed her in the direction of ISFPs many a time because she has a great rapport with them.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
An ISFP would be an excellent match for you. My mother is an ESTJ and I've pushed her in the direction of ISFPs many a time because she has a great rapport with them.

I find them very intense and thoughtful. Why did you push your mother towards ISFPs out of curiosity? What sort of types were she dating previously?

I've never set my mother up on a date, but then again, we never really saw eye to eye on relationship matters.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find them very intense and thoughtful. Why did you push your mother towards ISFPs out of curiosity? What sort of types were she dating previously?

My sister and I just knew they fit with her. My mom is a very funny, dutiful, but oddly shy person, and ISFPs are the perfect counterpoint. Have you ever watched Ed Begley and his wife Rachelle interact? She's an ESTJ and she's hilarious, dedicated, insubordinate, but supportive. The ISFP brings out every ESTJ's internal demolition derby driver that might otherwise be surpressed, and the ESTJ helps to ground and focus the ISFP's willy-nilly-ness.

I've never set my mother up on a date, but then again, we never really saw eye to eye on relationship matters.

Ha, well, me and my DNA clone push on the old lady to keep her circulation up! ha ha! Keeps her spry! She grouses but she likes it!

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What sort of types were she dating previously?

My parents aren't allowed to pick ANYONE anymore. They've messed up repeatedly. My own father is an INFJ and all my mother can say to that pairing was "brain madness". He himself keeps picking extroverted S-function women which invariably ends in disaster. I'm not saying S's and N's can't be happy together, but overall, I'd say there's a key component on the most primal-intimate level that one or both parties in the relationship wind up missing out on, and that's not fair to either one. My father wants to continue to be a mystery, I guess. I have no patience for that.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well no need to get touchy and defensive digest. I was just throwing out some ideas out there, and you didn't have to take it as a personal attack. :) I'm just curious about your personality type is all.

i'm not being touchy (but even if i were, thanks for telling me how i shouldn't react). actually, i'm almost too easygoing. however, you just happened to stumble upon one of my few buttons, and then push it. i'm just not the type to allow someone else to tell me who i am, what i think, what i feel, where i'm coming from, etc. based upon what they themselves think without my saying something in return.

try to understand that autonomy is huge on an NTs list of values. i not only fiercely defend my own, but i'll do the same for anyone else as well if i deem it necessary. while i'm not effected in the least by what others think of me, that's their own issue, (unless of course, i value the person), i do not like to be told who i am by someone (even a valued person) who is not me thus is speaking out of their ass. it feels like confinement. it feels like a jail, and i can't stand it or (and especially) the nerve it takes for someone to approach me with it. particularly while saying i should care and listen to them whether or not they're right.

i don't think anyone, not just me, should have to put up with that.

if you're really curious about my type, or anyone's type, or type in general, then in order to actually learn based on facts, you need to trust that others, not you, know themselves better than you do. from there, you can observe, ask questions (without accusing or 'tossing out' your ungrounded opinions), and actually gain true knowledge. start not with a basis of your own, but with the assumption that the other person is not you thus different, then simply ask/observe/etc., trust those answers are more correct than your assumptions, and analyze your findings from there.

It's interesting you say you self-analyzed yourself since birth. It indicates that you are what you personally analyze which it typical of introverts. However, given that your personality type is accurate of you (and remember I'm just a newbie to the MBTI theory ;) ) I would think you would want to integrate other people's analyses as well.

this is a good example of what i mean. you saying "it indicates" as if it really does. it doesn't at all. the only thing it indicates is that you think it indicates something. that's it. read more about MBTI, and you'll see that introverts aren't the only type that self-analyze. i analyze by nature. EVERYTHING. including me.

i'm not sure where you get that i should need other's opinions in order to analyze myself. i don't. i do gather information by default based on reactions, patterns, etc., but i don't necessarily believe they're correct. i keep everything in mind if it meshes with reality and where they're coming from (like i'm doing with you).

i'd never know who i am if i believed everything others think of me. haha! that's crazy talk. everyone sees me differently!

Oh well, we're all so different aren't we?

yes.

You're good, gal, you're good. *slings an arm around you* I'd know an ENTP if I were blind in one eye and deaf in both ears. :D

i don't know what i did, but thanks. :)

Last edited:

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
My parents aren't allowed to pick ANYONE anymore. They've messed up repeatedly. My own father is an INFJ and all my mother can say to that pairing was "brain madness". He himself keeps picking extroverted S-function women which invariably ends in disaster. I'm not saying S's and N's can't be happy together, but overall, I'd say there's a key component on the most primal-intimate level that one or both parties in the relationship wind up missing out on, and that's not fair to either one. My father wants to continue to be a mystery, I guess. I have no patience for that.

I'm not certain if Ss and Ns can't be happy together. I can see however if there was something entirely lacking in their relationship with each other then that would translate as chronic dissatisfaction. I think thought that long-term attraction is quite different from initial immediate attraction. Perhaps the qualities that immediately attract us on a subliminal level are the ones that end up breaking people apart. I'm pretty satisfied with my ENTP girlfriend however. For the first time, I didn't think I was "rescuing" a woman necessarily- I was one with her.

i'm not being touchy (but even if i were, thanks for telling me how i shouldn't react). actually, i'm almost too easygoing. however, you just happened to stumble upon one of my few buttons, and then push it. i'm just not the type to allow someone else to tell me who i am, what i think, what i feel, where i'm coming from, etc. based upon what they themselves think without my saying something in return.

try to understand that autonomy is huge on an NTs list of values. i not only fiercely defend my own, but i'll do the same for anyone else as well if i deem it necessary. while i'm not effected in the least by what others think of me, that's their own issue, (unless of course, i value the person), i do not like to be told who i am by someone (even a valued person) who is not me thus is speaking out of their ass. it feels like confinement. it feels like a jail, and i can't stand it or (and especially) the nerve it takes for someone to approach me with it. particularly while saying i should care and listen to them whether or not they're right.

i don't think anyone, not just me, should have to put up with that.

if you're really curious about my type, or anyone's type, or type in general, then in order to actually learn based on facts, you need to trust that others, not you, know themselves better than you do. from there, you can observe, ask questions (without accusing or 'tossing out' your ungrounded opinions), and actually gain true knowledge. start not with a basis of your own, but with the assumption that the other person is not you thus different, then simply ask/observe/etc., trust those answers are more correct than your assumptions, and analyze your findings from there.

this is a good example of what i mean. you saying "it indicates" as if it really does. it doesn't at all. the only thing it indicates is that you think it indicates something. that's it. read more about MBTI, and you'll see that introverts aren't the only type that self-analyze. i analyze by nature. EVERYTHING. including me.

i'm not sure where you get that i should need other's opinions in order to analyze myself. i don't. i do gather information by default based on reactions, patterns, etc., but i don't necessarily believe they're correct. i keep everything in mind if it meshes with reality and where they're coming from (like i'm doing with you).

i'd never know who i am if i believed everything others think of me. haha! that's crazy talk. everyone sees me differently!

Indeed, you seem very easygoing, digest! :)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Indeed, you seem very easygoing, digest! :)

thanks for reading what i took a lot of time to write just to point out one irrelevant comment to not only misinterpret but also once again imply that you know me better than i do.

this is what i get for trying to explain, why i very rarely bother anymore with explaining myself, and exactly why i first replied to you the way i did.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
thanks for reading what i took the time to write just to point out one irrelevant comment to not only misinterpret but also once again imply that you know me better than i do.

this is what i get for trying to explain, why i very rarely bother anymore with explaining myself, and exactly why i first replied to you the way i did.

FWIW, though I personally don't tend to get much gip from ESTJ's, I often get exactly this kinda treatment from my ESFJ mother...

She'll say something completely outrageously unfair to me, and then when I try to object, she'll brush aside and dismiss everything I say as me just getting 'het up over nothing', so then when I actually do get mad, and start to explain why, she'll just say she's not listening to me until I can calm down and talk like a rational human being!

This is why my stress-o-meter goes through the roof when she comes to visit...

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
FWIW, though I personally don't tend to get much gip from ESTJ's, I often get exactly this kinda treatment from my ESFJ mother...

She'll say something completely outrageously unfair to me, and then when I try to object, she'll brush aside and dismiss everything I say as me just getting 'het up over nothing', so then when I actually do get mad, and start to explain why, she'll just say she's not listening to me until I can calm down and talk like a rational human being!

This is why my stress-o-meter goes through the roof when she comes to visit...

*nods*

oh, believe me, i feel your pain. this shit is exactly why when people pull this crap, i'm much less likely to bother explaining, and much more likely to just go ahead and get to the inevitable ending by saying, "blow it out your ass".

it's a hell of a lot less stressful that way.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ

You're just contradicting yourself. One one hand you say you value autonomy and that you do not care about what others think, on the other your post shows that you are getting all worked up about this issue and that you do care.

If you are sure of your ground, why don't you just brush off comments? You sound overly defensive.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
You're just contradicting yourself. One one hand you say you value autonomy and that you do not care about what others think, on the other your post shows that you are getting all worked up about this issue and that you do care.

If you are sure of your ground, why don't you just brush off comments? You sound overly defensive.

I don't think she does at all... I can imagine her saying all of that with a quite calm voice - it's the kind of thing I'd just say deadpan too, in a casual way, sorta 'FYI', while barely looking up from my newspaper. :)

I think some people might mistake it for getting het up though in text form because the terms are quite certain and strong, but like I say, I think that's just a way NT's often talk without necessarily any actual emotion in it. Sometimes it's a sort of objective frustration/emotion, if that's not too much of a paradox to suggest... I often find myself in a situation where I'm looking from a few steps back at what's going on between me and the other person and seeing there an example or symptom of a wider problem that happens in other ways with other people, and I decide to see if I can do something to rectify it by sorta 'starting here'. I'm not directly concerned about me and this person's opinion of me personally right now, more the larger issue. But that's something that's perhaps not a particularly orthodox way of operating, so it doesn't tend to occur to other people that it's what I might be doing, when the more 'obvious' explanation is that I'm getting het up and personally involved and defensive etc.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
You're just contradicting yourself. One one hand you say you value autonomy and that you do not care about what others think, on the other your post makes it seem as if you are getting all worked up about this issue.

If you are sure of your ground, why don't you just brush off comments? You sound overly defensive, which suggests lack of self-confidence.

no, i'm not contradicting myself, and i am sure of my ground.

one, i did attempt to brush it off at first, and that was called defensive and unENTPlike. which led to two, while i don't care what others think about me, i DO care about truth. so, i was attempting to straighten out a type confusion. the fact that i'm the one whose type is being challenged is why i'm using myself as an example.

and, now i'm put in a position to where i either answer you and try to explain my reasoning and be misinterpreted by yet another asshole... this time as having low self-confidence, or ignore you to what, just prove to you that i do have self-confidence by brushing off your comment?

blow it out your ass.