• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Rant on ENTPs

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
substitute, could it be that some lonely ENTPs actually do show off how clever they are? I've known ENTPs (and INTPs, incidentally) who talked to hear themselves talk and I believe it is because they had been understimulated for so long that they had become disillusioned and started taking what they could get.

It could be, sometimes, but rarely... that kind of thing, well I can't see it appealing to me personally... having spent my childhood being 'talked at' by an Aspies dad and the last 6 years being talked at by my Aspies daughter, I know how it feels to be used as an audience/listening post, and I'm loth to do it to others.

If I feel understimulated, then I know plenty of people, ENxP's in particular, who love nothing more than to talk the hind legs off a donkey and are just as talkative as I am. An afternoon at the pub talking random shit over a few pints with my ENFP brother or ISTP friend, both of whom give as much as they receive, is FAR more satisfying than just randomly talking to someone to show off. I mean... my intuition very easily picks up when someone is judging me negatively because of what I'm saying, so I just wouldn't want to do it because that kind of thing doesn't help - it hurts!

At all times, it's not just to talk at someone that I want - that never stimulates me - it frustrates me and bores me to death and just makes me feel worse, to be talking to someone who isn't responding. What I want and crave - and I believe all ENTP's do - is interactive discussion. We want the person to talk back - it's INPUT that Ne craves, not to 'output', and 90% of output is only done with the aim of obtaining input in return. So the last thing I'd do would be to chose an IxxJ to talk to, who I know would not cooperate!

I think you'd have to be a very socially starved ENTP - which I can't imagine many of us ever being really - to reach a point where you're like a hermit who never sees anyone and so goes for it with the first person who doesn't run away!

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
At all times, it's not just to talk at someone that I want - that never stimulates me - it frustrates me and bores me to death and just makes me feel worse, to be talking to someone who isn't responding. What I want and crave - and I believe all ENTP's do - is interactive discussion. We want the person to talk back - it's INPUT that Ne craves, not to 'output', and 90% of output is only done with the aim of obtaining input in return.

I know; that's why I'm talking about understimulation and disillusionment.

I think you'd have to be a very socially starved ENTP

No. Blackwater and I are currently wondering what to do with a young, very socially active ENTP we know who talks to hear himself talk. (To be fair, I should mention that he's politically active which of course provides an added incentive to showboat.)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
No. Blackwater and I are currently wondering what to do with a young, very socially active ENTP we know who talks to hear himself talk. (To be fair, I should mention that he's politically active which of course provides an added incentive to showboat.)

Depending how young, I'd say not to worry about it - he'll learn in time. It's just a question of experience, if you look at the ENTP profiles you'll see that we often start out misjudging when it's time to talk and when to STFU, and we get better at it as we get older. Just leave him to it, with enough trials and errors he'll figure it out.

If I feel disillusioned, I still can't imagine myself doing that... if I didn't have enough faith in other people to want to or be able to join in or interact with me, then I'd just withdraw - "it's all pointless, so why bother?" - that's what I have done in those situations - and spend time alone, reading or just going for walks and stuff, trying to stimulate myself through non-human sources. And too much of being forced into that kind of thing would probably make me hit the bottle a bit, to drown out the boredom and loneliness. I can think of several other half-assed solutions I'd go for, long before plumping for "just talk at people anyway whether they like it or not". Generally, understimulation leads to boredom, boredom to depression, and depression to withdrawal from social action, not the opposite.

ENTP's are often very insecure deep down, and have a great need for approval and positive reactions, so doing something that I know would make people hate me or make my company unwelcome just doesn't seem in keeping with my aims and methods. But I can see where 'showing off' might be a badly thought out way of trying to get the positive reactions and affirmations that an immature ENTP needs.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I kind of feel sorry for ENTPs.

They actually say out loud the crazy shit we INTPs think.

I bet a significant amount of them wind up in looney bins.

:rofl1: My girlfriend is an ENTP, and she's quite sane, I assure you.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:rofl1: My girlfriend is an ENTP, and she's quite sane, I assure you.

If you haven't thought, "wtf are you crazy?" on a weekly basis I doubt your typing!

Hell, I think that about myself on a daily basis.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
If you haven't thought, "wtf are you crazy?" on a weekly basis I doubt your typing!

Yeah, totally. In fact, she might even be offended by what hotmale just said about her... heheh... I know once when someone asked for my opinion by opening with "Substitute, you're pretty normal - tell me..." I was crestfallen.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ

Well supposedly only insane people never question their sanity.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
My ESTP friend (good friend) favourite end line when emailing with me and the folks is, "you're nuts!" or "you guys are nuts!" Tho it's in an affirmative meaning, in the sense of out-of-the-box, unusual, non-mainstream. It's so that he is in essence an extremely counter-culture person, maintaining surface conformity (which he reveals and jokes around with friends). He trusts my capabilities and just notes his style that I can pull of some wild things (or present some image) and get away with it, socially and image wise.

He's an extremely multi-talented gamer and a bit better than me in almost every game. For a reason I don't understand he seems to seriously appreciate me as a strategic. I haven't won him in any game requiring such talent. I sometimes surprise him in the way how I dare to present some outrageous image of myself as a joke, something he wouldn't dare to do to such great extent. Yet he sees that I always pull it off and come off as someone reasonable, even tho it's hard to say why it is so. So he awes in how I can play with the image and conformity to the extent he can't, so he appreciates me as a gamer in another respect. He well knows that I'm wicked smart.

He knew before me I was bipolar, and that "insane" saying doesn't have anything to do with that. Are you familiar with the meaning of the word "insane" in the sense of "incredible"?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
While anaylitical thinking, problem diagnosis and solution finding, together with objectivity and openness to both our errors and correction are strong points, managing, controlling and understanding our emotions are our biggest weak points.

So this causes much trouble between us and the kinds of people who say "it's not what you say - it's how you say it". Because in the case of ENTP's, HOW we say it is almost entirely irrelevant. We put great effort into expressing in words EXACTLY what we mean, an opening our thoughts to others in the interest of transparency and clarity. To us, the fact that we might be angry, frustrated, exasperated, overly emphatic - none of these things are factors in our decisions, we're consciously and constantly ignoring our own emotions even while we're recklessly displaying them. So for the other person to pay too much attention to them and to attribute what we're saying to them paves the way for maximum miscommunication hell.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Are you familiar with the meaning of the word "insane" in the sense of "incredible"?

I wasn't referring to the popular usage of the word to indicate "coolness" but rather its psychiatric evaluation.

Sure, "you're insane" tends to mean "you're wickedly cool" and can refer to people who are known to take chances and still land on their feet, befuddling the nice conformists around them.

lazyhappy

Lol i think the only problem i have with entp's is that my entp shares the supposed-to-be-just-for-our-ears information i give her to other people. For example i might say 'that a girl looks slutty' (i don't recal saying this... but this is just an example so... yeah...) and my sister will then go to my mom and say
"Alex says that girls a slut and i agree"
-.-...
but.... out of all the people i know... my sister is the closest to me and the only person i can really get along with...

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I kind of feel sorry for ENTPs.

They actually say out loud the crazy shit we INTPs think.

ROFL!!! Thank you for confirming that. I've actually gone so far as to pin down a few INTPs and ask that very question. "Are you THINKING what that ENTP is over there is helplessly SAYING?! And if that's true, a hamster does NOT go into that bodily orifice, you freaky freaky person!! I'm calling your mother THIS INSTANT." lol I kid. ;)

And I say this with much admiration for NTPs, so it's not a slag, just a --WOW-- , alien approach to life. I tend to turn red and start laughing when NTP things get said. I'm not easily shocked in general, but I am. Paradox. :shock:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
They just wont SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!
The less I react to their stupid fucking jokes, the more stupid fucking jokes they make! Get a fucking clue!!!

HAHHAHHAA...you are hilarious.

Wow, never thought these 'rant' threads actually including ranting (folks seem awfully nice to us ENFPs) but this proved me wrong.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I know I've probably pissed quite a few people off lately, but please don't feel tempted to rant about things I've done here because I'm totally not acting like an ENTP lately, my life kinda got knocked for a loop a few months back and I've not been myself at all, so any annoying things I do, please don't think they're ENTP faults - they're my faults, geddit? Mine. I want the credit, dammit! You think fucking up this bad is easy???! ;)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
They just wont SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!
The less I react to their stupid fucking jokes, the more stupid fucking jokes they make! Get a fucking clue!!!
HAHHAHHAA...you are hilarious.

no he's not.

he's bad at typing people is what he is. ENTPs are funny (NTs usually are), and more often than not, they do know when to shut up.

dblhelix, for instance, is not an ENTP.

and substitute, when i find the sites about ENTPs under stress, i'll start a thread about it, and use you as an example and a learning tool, thus clearing up this mess while at the same time being educational. learning is fun! :alttongue:

edit: made the thread

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
no he's not.

he's bad at typing people is what he is. ENTPs are funny (NTs usually are), and more often than not, they do know when to shut up.

dblhelix, for instance, is not an ENTP.

and substitute, when i find the sites about ENTPs under stress, i'll start a thread about it, and use you as an example and a learning tool, thus clearing up this mess while at the same time being educational. learning is fun! :alttongue:

edit: made the thread

Hope you don't mind me commenting on this thread, but definitely digest- you seem quite the opposite of the ENTP personality. In fact, I would say you were closer to ptgatsby's personality type on this forum.

ENTPs have a great sense of humor and tend to be offended least in regards to PC stuff- I see you as being more "sensitive" and more "rigid" in your perception of the ENTP type- not at all typical of of ENTPs whom I know IN PERSON.

Just my 2 cents....:)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hope you don't mind me commenting on this thread, but definitely digest- you seem quite the opposite of the ENTP personality. In fact, I would say you were closer to ptgatsby's personality type on this forum.

ENTPs have a great sense of humor and tend to be offended least in regards to PC stuff- I see you as being more "sensitive" and more "rigid" in your perception of the ENTP type- not at all typical of of ENTPs whom I know IN PERSON.

Just my 2 cents....:)

you couldn't be more wrong.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
not if the ENTP already knows you're wrong. any person, regardless of type, doesn't go around asking for more information when they already know something.

it'd be like me repeatedly asking how to make ramen. i already know.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
not if the ENTP already knows you're wrong. any person, regardless of type, doesn't go around asking for more information when they already know something.

it'd be like me repeatedly asking how to make ramen. i already know.

ENTPs are Ne-dominated, which means they are interested in the thought processes/ behaviors of others and how that interconnects and relates to others- even if they know something they personally feel is wrong or right. For you to assert and dominate that your judgment is correct over all others without asking their opinion indicates an ISFP personality, which is what I think you are. :)