• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Rant on ENTPs

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is an invitation for all members to compile information on ENTP-problem-areas in the interest of ENTP-self improvement. Anecdotes, analysises, excercises, all are welcome as long as it deals with ENTP problems/ and growth.

And remember: Just because a type has a potential problem area, it doesn't mean that you, the actual person necessarily suffers from this problem, even if you are that type.

The classics

Can't follow through on projects

One-Upmanship

Social Machiavellinism

Intellectually superficial and unreliable

Over-competitive, pressuring others for fun

Conjure up far-out connections between ideas that as perhaps not really connected (Foucault is a good example here)

Prone to grow bored with a stable partner

Impatient, ever so very impatient

Poor external judgment, better at understanding others points of view than their own.

Take big risks

Also I make exceedingly insensitive jokes and then mock people when they tell me that I did so. It usually consists of the following:

1. Joke of poor taste
2. Complaint
3. "well you shouldn't be so damn sensitive"
4. "and neither should anyone else this whole country is full of..."
5. perhaps an anecdote to prove my point, which I am of course, incontrovertibly correct about.

They actually say out loud the crazy shit we INTPs think.

Once again, I am stranded between being an INTJ or an ENTP. Every time I'm around people, I'm extremely bouncy and witty like an ENTP, and people think I'm really funny. But at the same time, I never really had an interest in things like parties -- all of my relations took place at either work or at school. I'm pretty much a loner, but I don't think strangers have ever perceived me as an introvert.

I'm so confused...I hate not being able to identify myself...

tramnineteen

MBTI Type
eNxp
Hotmale

Well no need to get touchy and defensive digest. I was just throwing out some ideas out there, and you didn't have to take it as a personal attack. :) I'm just curious about your personality type is all.

It's interesting you say you self-analyzed yourself since birth. It indicates that you are what you personally analyze which it typical of introverts. However, given that your personality type is accurate of you (and remember I'm just a newbie to the MBTI theory ;) ) I would think you would want to integrate other people's analyses as well.

Oh well, we're all so different aren't we?

You are way off man. I am an ENTP and I think you are way overanalyzing some of her statements.

There is only so much you can understand about someone else's personality type from what you read and what they say or do. Only someone WITH that personality can truly understand their motivations and predict every possible type of statement.

To be more concrete. I do not like defending something that I know to be true about myself to someone I am not very close to.

If you are a stranger I care less about wether or not you believe me, and if it is a routine topic for me, I'm not interested and will just tell you to fuck off.

I think you might be having trouble admitting you're wrong, but like I said, I can't know for sure. I can only ask you for confirmation.

tramnineteen

MBTI Type
eNxp
The Problem with Judging the type of Others

You're just contradicting yourself. One one hand you say you value autonomy and that you do not care about what others think, on the other your post shows that you are getting all worked up about this issue and that you do care.

If you are sure of your ground, why don't you just brush off comments? You sound overly defensive.

I stand my ground on this one that hotmale and maverick can't claim to understand the complete picture of being an ENTP without being one. There are really complex interactions that go way beyond the descriptions provided on the internet and even from us ENTP's.

The logic both of you are using is flawed anyway. For example:

Premise 1: ENTP's usually aren't defensive.
Premise 2: Digest seems defensive.
Conclusion: Digest isn't an ENTP.

The key words there are usually and seems.

That is the problem with judging the type of other people. You can't be sure.

swingliner

MBTI Type
ENTP
Actually I'll do a real rant- ENTP's can make you feel like you're the only person in the world and then they'll have nothing to do with you for a while and then you'll be their whole world again. One may feel like they are going back and forth between a relational dessert and then a relational lush tropical jungle. You have to be able to be an emotionally equipped camel in relationships with them.

...guilty.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
And probably the worst part about being ENTP from all points of view is that really, you can list our flaws all day and we'll help you, enjoying it, and not feeling really the slightest tinge of guilt for any of them. Not really - we pretend we do sometimes because it's the done thing, but we often don't really understand why we're supposed to feel bad, and are more likely to feel bad about not feeling bad, than about the thing we're supposed to feel bad about... :shock:

How true!! :laugh:

That's the most accurate description I've read here, so far.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
they are surprisingly optimistic in the face of facts and reality
its crazy, maybe even stupid
but those kind of risks make dreams happen

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
how would you know?

I don't know lot of people who are able to self-loathe and be happy about it.

It implies a very uncommon form of self-awareness, something I've seen so far only in ENTPs or almost.

---

So, how would you know?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How true!! :laugh:
That's the most accurate description I've read here, so far.

:(

Heartless meanies.

And Sub, I'm surprised at you, you're such a cad.

;)

me... i'll criticize you... but i'll still feel bad about it on some level... even if I can't help but continue to criticize you.

So you can actually feel okay/good about self-loathing? Weird.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP

It implies a very uncommon form of self-awareness, something I've seen so far only in ENTPs or almost.

---

So, how would you know?

way to pick up on "nuance".

Tiamat

MBTI Type
INTP

---

So, how would you know?

Was that a reference to me?
or am I just that self-centered?

nvm...just answered my own question...

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
- Unrealistic ideas

I hate when ppl say that.

"Unrealistic"?? Nothing is unrealistic. If it weren't for ExxP's everybody would still be living on farms and riding around on horses.

I'm sure if 200 years ago someone said we'd have computers, cars, cell phones, video games, etc morons like you would say that would be 'unrealistic'.

ENTP in 1850: Why don't we create this device so we dont have to be in the same room to speak. So I can call you when I'm 500miles away. I'll call it a cell phone. I just pick it up, dial your phone number, it connects us and we can speak.

J-type in 1850: That's totally unrealistic. Now let's get back to milking some cows like we do everyday.

Get the point!?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate when ppl say that.

"Unrealistic"?? Nothing is unrealistic. If it weren't for ExxP's everybody would still be living on farms and riding around on horses.

I'm sure if 200 years ago someone said we'd have computers, cars, cell phones, video games, etc morons like you would say that would be 'unrealistic'.

ENTP in 1850: Why don't we create this device so we dont have to be in the same room to speak. So I can call you when I'm 500miles away. I'll call it a cell phone. I just pick it up, dial your phone number, it connects us and we can speak.

J-type in 1850: That's totally unrealistic. Now let's get back to milking some cows like we do everyday.

Get the point!?
I find it strange you reference cell phones twice, rather than just regular phones.

Must be young.

O

Oberon

In 1850, cell phones were unrealistic.

You'd have to start by inventing the technology to invent the technology to invent the technology to build cell phones.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think there are reasonable and there are unreasonable visions you can have of the future. I myself know, how frustrating it is, when you set yourself a goal that is reasonable and someone else brings it down, without even consindering it.

But that's part of getting an adult and maybe becoming more inclined with your Ti. It is never enough to have an idea about something and then to expect everyone to go as enthusiastic as you are about it. The master of ideas must now, how to sell them. :)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In 1850, cell phones were unrealistic.

You'd have to start by inventing the technology to invent the technology to invent the technology to build cell phones.

But Cyrano, he traveled to the moon on a series of rockets well before! Where is your innovation!?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
there are just way too many threads about ENTP's around here lately... sheesh!

I mean, when even I'm starting to squirm under the attention you know it's gotta be a bit too much!

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

If you seek those threads, you can only find them, and hence contribute to their visibility. That's a vicious circle.

Terian

MBTI Type
NeTi

I mean, when even I'm starting to squirm under the attention you know it's gotta be a bit too much!

I think it's because ENTPs are the most naturally interesting of the Rationals. Sure, the others are intriguing, but one of the many hallmarks of ENTPs is that they generate new and exciting ideas- we're practically defined as a group by our creative ingenuity.