• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Rant on ENTPs

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
no, i'm not contradicting myself, and i am sure of my ground.

one, i did attempt to brush it off at first, and that was called defensive and unENTPlike. which led to two, while i don't care what others think about me, i DO care about truth. so, i was attempting to straighten out a type confusion. the fact that i'm the one whose type is being challenged is why i'm using myself as an example.

and, now i'm put in a position to where i either answer you and try to explain my reasoning and be misinterpreted by yet another asshole... this time as having low self-confidence, or ignore you to what, just prove to you that i do have self-confidence by brushing off your comment?

blow it out your ass.

Your attitude and response are out of proportion to the question asked. You are rude and lack respect to someone who only lightly challenges you.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think she does at all... I can imagine her saying all of that with a quite calm voice - it's the kind of thing I'd just say deadpan too, in a casual way, sorta 'FYI', while barely looking up from my newspaper. :)

which is exactly how i was saying it. i'm simply not a big emoticon user, and unfortunately, a lot of people seem to need that.

as an example, because i'm amused by the absolute absurdity of how so many people can be so wrong and yet still be so very ballsy as to accuse someone else of motivations they can't possibly know, i was grinning when i told maverick to blow it out his ass. actually, i'm grinning when making most of my posts.

it would seriously take a hell of a lot to make me angry.

Last edited:

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Your attitude and response are out of proportion to the question asked. You are rude and lack respect to someone who only lightly challenges you.

...and with that, i like me even more.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Something I have noticed about ENTP's online is that there language often comes across as very angry or aggressive. Then I think to myself, "wait a minute, I hardly ever talk with that tone". The thing is that ENTP's in RL are not particularly aggressive (compared to say ExTJ's), but they are unusually blunt. So when you take away the laugh and grin and general jovial nature of the ENTP and just listen to what they say it can sound pretty aggressive or angry. So I think that is why it can sound that way when you read what they say on the internet. In reality the ENTP is usually laughing to themself while making fun of you. ;)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
You're bang on Laser.

I've often thought to myself that I don't know why I bother posting on forums because I find it so draining, exhausting and stressful sometimes to have myself constantly misread as aggressive and mean. I wonder why the hell I'd want to sit here and be seen that way, when in RL I'm just as you say - very laid back, jovial, friendly etc., and at least half what I say is mocking myself!

It's like the text format presents us a whole new challenge - to try to put across our happy go lucky nature in text format, stripped of all those face-to-face intuitive cues and body language stuff that we so much rely on and thrive on in person. I do find it amazing though, how things I say here that I know I'd get away with in RL and nobody would hold against me, I get really pounced on.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Something I have noticed about ENTP's online is that there language often comes across as very angry or aggressive. Then I think to myself, "wait a minute, I hardly ever talk with that tone". The thing is that ENTP's in RL are not particularly aggressive (compared to say ExTJ's), but they are unusually blunt. So when you take away the laugh and grin and general jovial nature of the ENTP and just listen to what they say it can sound pretty aggressive or angry. So I think that is why it can sound that way when you read what they say on the internet. In reality the ENTP is usually laughing to themself while making fun of you. ;)

except for the wording of that last line as i generally 'make fun of' things and situations and 'tease' people (though, i'm pretty sure that's what you meant), i couldn't agree with you more!!

it is so true, and other than just letting people get to know me, i haven't found an answer for this problem.

an emoticon would make things much easier, but sadly, i haven't been able to find a 'grin' one that conveys this kind of thing. it would have to be a very special emoticon because when i tease then i do it with a grin while speaking in a deadpan way or sometimes only grinning afterwards. it's a hard one to explain, but i wish i could find one that could do it.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
You're bang on Laser.

I've often thought to myself that I don't know why I bother posting on forums because I find it so draining, exhausting and stressful sometimes to have myself constantly misread as aggressive and mean. I wonder why the hell I'd want to sit here and be seen that way, when in RL I'm just as you say - very laid back, jovial, friendly etc., and at least half what I say is mocking myself!

It's like the text format presents us a whole new challenge - to try to put across our happy go lucky nature in text format, stripped of all those face-to-face intuitive cues and body language stuff that we so much rely on and thrive on in person. I do find it amazing though, how things I say here that I know I'd get away with in RL and nobody would hold against me, I get really pounced on.

bingo bingo fucking BING-GO.

as a matter of fact, just approach the last two quotes as if this ENTP said them too.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Somehow I don't think this was the intention of the thread, but fuck it...

ENTP group hug!!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

LMAO :rofl1:

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I haven't read everything you guys wrote, but in case this hasn't been mentioned, I'm a pretty domineering conversationalist. I'm also always right. Never been wrong in my whole life. And when people disagree with me, I go FIND something to prove them wrong with, and belittle them for even questioning me.

Also I make exceedingly insensitive jokes and then mock people when they tell me that I did so. It usually consists of the following:

1. Joke of poor taste
2. Complaint
3. "well you shouldn't be so damn sensitive"
4. "and neither should anyone else this whole country is full of..."
5. perhaps an anecdote to prove my point, which I am of course, incontrovertibly correct about.

I also tend to think I know more than everyone else. Actually with most people I do, but even with people who I decide later on turn out know more than me I never let them have it.

I think the reason is because when someone mentions something I can always make sense of it instantly (seriously - most of the post is kind of a self-roast but this is one of my upsides) and can explain why or how it works a certain way, and what can be done with it. I'm always right. But the ability to figure things out as I go and continue to expound on anything to no end has made my pretty cocky.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
i don't know if you were trying to be funny and failed, or what, but in case you were serious, i want it on record that my version of being ENTP doesn't mesh with any of that.

LucrativeSid

A friend of mine randomly showed up. Neither one of us had been smoking lately, but just seeing him made me want to smoke. I told him that. He didn't have any smokes and didn't sound very excited about the idea. (He had only resorted to smoking due to a break up, while I have been smoking on and of, mostly on, for 8 years.) Without consciously thinking about it, not only did I manage to convince him to buy a pack of a cigarettes, I convinced him that my brand was better and that his brand was shit. And I made it seem like he would enjoy the experience and that it wasn't just for me.

So, we were sitting around, playing guitar, talking, and basically just hanging out and he didn't seem to like my, I mean his, cigarettes very much so I just kept on taking them out of the box and smoking them. When he left, I was glad that I got to smoke, but didn't have to get stuck smoking a whole pack.

He was so easy to persuade that I didn't even realize that I was doing it, so it's partially his fault for being weak like that. Maybe he's just a "nice" guy, fully aware of what I was doing.

I am not a selfish person at all. Throughout the years, I've probably helped him a lot more than he's helped me. (I never ask for anything.) I just can't believe I did that, though. I get so caught up in a challenge that I forget about everthing else and I just zoom right through it. I had my own money, I'm the one that wanted them, I could have at least let him have his kind, and I shouldn't be smoking anyway!

You can call some of that ENTP traits, or you can just blame me.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I haven't read everything you guys wrote, but in case this hasn't been mentioned, I'm a pretty domineering conversationalist. I'm also always right. Never been wrong in my whole life. And when people disagree with me, I go FIND something to prove them wrong with, and belittle them for even questioning me.

Also I make exceedingly insensitive jokes and then mock people when they tell me that I did so. It usually consists of the following:

1. Joke of poor taste
2. Complaint
3. "well you shouldn't be so damn sensitive"
4. "and neither should anyone else this whole country is full of..."
5. perhaps an anecdote to prove my point, which I am of course, incontrovertibly correct about.

I also tend to think I know more than everyone else. Actually with most people I do, but even with people who I decide later on turn out know more than me I never let them have it.

I think the reason is because when someone mentions something I can always make sense of it instantly (seriously - most of the post is kind of a self-roast but this is one of my upsides) and can explain why or how it works a certain way, and what can be done with it. I'm always right. But the ability to figure things out as I go and continue to expound on anything to no end has made my pretty cocky.

Do you suppose it's out of some sort of insecurity that makes you act like this? I always tend to think people who are overly defensive and have no sense of humor (except for their own of course) is out of some sense of competition and getting the last word in.

They simply don't like it when people disagree with their point of view, it makes them lose their sense of identity. Although typically speaking, that is not an ENTPish trait- but rather an XXFJ one.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey, crap!

I have all these problems too! Moreso then the ENFP ones!

Whatevs. You can't take my fluffy away.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
i don't know if you were trying to be funny and failed, or what, but in case you were serious, i want it on record that my version of being ENTP doesn't mesh with any of that.

And when people disagree with me, I go FIND something to prove them wrong with ,and belittle them for even questioning me.

Really?

It's neat how you contradict yourself not by saying two opposing things in separated sentences but rather how in a single sentence you make a fool of yourself.

Perhaps it's not an exact matchup, but you did search for mislogic or poorly found evidence and were clearly trying to trivialize my intelligence.

Why such hostility toward me? Not just here - on INTPc I mean. What exactly is it to where you don't say anything in response to any post I make unless it's highly negative and personally berating?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Do you suppose it's out of some sort of insecurity that makes you act like this? I always tend to think people who are overly defensive and have no sense of humor (except for their own of course) is out of some sense of competition and getting the last word in.

They simply don't like it when people disagree with their point of view, it makes them lose their sense of identity. Although typically speaking, that is not an ENTPish trait- but rather an XXFJ one.
I said, and accordingly meant nothing about getting the last word in. Also, that's really more of an E thing, if it's even attributed to type.

Combativeness != insecurity.

It's really got very little to do with identity, if anything at all. Consciously, it's nothing at all. I just like to fight with people. I generally avoid long-lasting grudges and the like. I much prefer situational arguments but if the other party is willing, so am I.

It really is a case to case thing and I exaggerated with the thing about never being wrong. Come on...

I do know more than one other ENTP who has a very difficult time being wrong. So it's not as if my assessment of the type is entirely flawed. Hardheadedness is in the build.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Not to rain on anyone's ENTP parade but have to point out that even if you are grinning as you tell someone to 'blow it out their ass' it doesn't necessarily mean they will laugh along with you and say, "yeah, I should totally do that! you're hilarious!'

Chances are if they were going to be annoyed at the content and context of such a comment in the first place, the fact that you are laughing or grinning or otherwise delivering it in a 'light-hearted' way, that could very well just piss them off even more.

And if you were rubbing them the wrong way because they thought you were 'rough around the edges' or straight up lacking in respect let's say, that delivery wouldn't change their assessment of you, it would reaffirm it.

I would be interested to hear what Maverick thinks after that explanation of ENTP banter and what gets lost in the translation to text and specifically that when he was told to 'blow it out his ass' it was done with a grin. -- Feel any better?

I agree that text is a horrible blocky crude dense way of communication. And you're right, I have NO IDEA what an interaction with you (plural) would be like IRL. And the nature of forums like this, especially about 'personality' and 'what makes you tick' etc. is totally artificial. That's kinda the beauty of them. I think it's unlikely you could walk into a bar or coffee shop and find the same type distribution or even the same 5 people and then sit around and spill your guts to everyone -- I kinda thought a lot of us were on this forum precisely because we CAN'T find something similar in IRL and for some of us, we dont' want to discuss these personal issues with our friends.

So we're left with this. Text. Where you are stripped of all the visual cues that make up the BULK of actual day to day human communication, people can sound different online than IRL, and basically unless you really know someone well IRL you are assuming a lot about the intended delivery and emotional state etc. about the person and the message.

But, this is pretty much all we got. And I just wanted to point out that just because we are online doesn't necessarily get people off the hook 100% when others take offense to something we say or 'how' we say it or even when we are 'misinterpreted'.

This might not be your intention in pointing out specifically the difficulties of ENTPs being understood online vs IRL, but even with the grain of salt/truth to that, it's such an easy cop out to chalk up any disagreement or conflict or negative assessment to the poor medium of "text". It's like telling someone "you had to be there" meaning "you had to be there, but you weren't, so no further discussion is possible and I don't owe you any further explanation or involvement"

That is all for now.

-From your wordy ENFP neighbor
:smile: --> Alright, and here's my frickin' smiley face emoticon to show you I'm not yelling or saying this whole missive with a seething hostile tone. Don't make me regret using it!