• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Rant on ENTPs

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
My ENTP friend lacks some follow through, and he also has a bad outlook on intimate relationships (basically he sees them as only a means to personal gain); other than that, he's good.

Maverick, what's the problem with this:

?

As long as ideas are better, they'll sustain themselves no matter what stupid "lines of power" say.

really...sounds like something I would do

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
This is true. I'm really bad at compromise. I always get my way, always have. To not do so would be unthinkable. I mean, even when I haven't been able to get my way (first draft), I've managed to redraft 'my way' sometimes beyond recognition so that what I want to happen always happens, even if sometimes it's more like what happens is always what I want; I want whatever happens. Hm. Rephrase: I can usually find a way to want whatever I know is going to happen, and also to strongly influence what is going to happen.

Yes I hate to compromise as well. If my way is the best way then I'm going to stick to my guns and do what it takes to get it. If the other person's way is better, or if I don't feel strongly about a situation then I will simply give the other person what they want instead of compromise. I would rather the other person get their way than neither person get what they want because of a compromise.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
It's usually just because we got distracted by something else, not because our feelings for you as a friend or whatever were not genuine. We usually don't spend time with anyone merely for social obligations, unless we actually enjoy their company. The fact they keep coming back, even if it's occasionally, is because they value you in some way.

completely agree.

also, i've had the absolute hardest time conveying this to people simply because they're someone i LIKE. how do you explain to them, in such a way that they'll believe you aren't just talking smack, that when you say, "if i didn't like you, you'd KNOW", you mean exactly that?

people always have to learn this the hard way. they don't get it until the relationship/friendship comes to an end, and THEN they see how they were different. it's a damn shame that if it doesn't come to an end, then they never see.

it's a conundrum i've lived with for as long as i can remember.

I've hurt some feelings in the past for being "unavailable" but when I see them again (in my mind, no time has passed). It's like the interesting conversation with that person was just paused for a while (even if it's years); I'm always baffled when occasionally, someone needs to re-acquaint themselves with me again - as if I might have changed in my time away. But I can see how my behavior might seem cold or flighty.

yes, yes, like it was only yesterday that we spoke. i do the same thing.

You call that a rant? Haha... no...

Flaw #34654a: Don't hold back or pull any punches when ranting.
Flaw #34654b: Don't take other people's rants seriously because they seem lame in comparison to the ones we just casually throw out whilst stirring our coffee. Laugh at people when they're angry.

true. assuming you meant "we" don't take other people's rants that seriously. it takes a whole hell of a lot to ruffle my feathers, and rants, are usually just amusing in an 'interesting thing to watch' kind of way. it's like watching a human pressure valve being released.

Flaw #34654c: Provoke other people to rant just so we can see if they have any real power or passion in them.

i don't do this that much. i'd only do that if it was something small, and there was absolutely nothing else to do at that moment. like bringing up gas prices or slow sunday traffic to an ISFJ male. and, no harm there, they LIKE bitching about that.

unless, of course, there's a context you're speaking of, that isn't coming to mind right now.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
And probably the worst part about being ENTP from all points of view is that really, you can list our flaws all day and we'll help you, enjoying it, and not feeling really the slightest tinge of guilt for any of them. Not really - we pretend we do sometimes because it's the done thing, but we often don't really understand why we're supposed to feel bad, and are more likely to feel bad about not feeling bad, than about the thing we're supposed to feel bad about... :shock:

so. fucking. true.

this pisses so many people off, and is taken as my not caring that they're upset, but it's just that i'm not judgmental... even with myself. and, the same thing that keeps me from getting down on myself is the same thing that allows me to let THEM slide! but, do they see the beauty in that? noooooo.

besides, it's not like i don't care. when someone that i care about points out that i've done something that's hurt them, then i really do care and try to fix it.

IF it makes sense, they matter, and they're being reasonable.

This is true. I'm really bad at compromise. I always get my way, always have. To not do so would be unthinkable. I mean, even when I haven't been able to get my way (first draft), I've managed to redraft 'my way' sometimes beyond recognition so that what I want to happen always happens, even if sometimes it's more like what happens is always what I want; I want whatever happens. Hm. Rephrase: I can usually find a way to want whatever I know is going to happen, and also to strongly influence what is going to happen.

ha. yes. deciding that what occurs, even if it wasn't what i wanted, is workable. i think it comes from a tremendously strong natural tendency to adapt... go with the flow.

however, when it really matters, the other person/people may as well be trying to stop a hurricane. it will happen, one way or another. but, even then, the tendency to adapt is still put to use... except as one more weapon in an arsenal.

This list is good, except that you've indulged in a little speculation and judgement as to the ENTP's motives for what s/he does, rather than just give the list of symptoms, so to speak.

a LITTLE indulging? that was flat-out indulging. while pointing out my faults doesn't bother me in the least, attributing faults to me that i don't have, does. to tell me (or anyone else) what their motivation is as if they KNOW, is annoying as hell. if indulging was done, it was indulging in mind-reading skills which clearly are on the blink.

For example, I agree that I act in eccentric ways, but I will deny to the death that I do it for attention - most of the time I'm not even aware that I am doing it, and it's just what comes naturally to me, I'm just being myself, which will obviously look eccentric since 'myself' is a pretty odd person.

same here. it's because i don't think about being watched that i so easily do the eccentric things. if i stopped to think about how others were seeing me or were thinking about me constantly, i'd freeze.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Similarly, I admit that I ignore social conventions but I also deny that this is for attention - it's either because I'm oblivious to them and don't actually notice, or because I sincerely believe observing them is pointless and unconstructive for the situation at hand.

agree with this too. i don't do that for attention. i wouldn't even know HOW to do that for attention. if i did, i'd feel fake as hell and self-conscious.

most of the time, what i'm doing that's against the social conventions is ignoring them altogether (the people, that is, with the conventions being ignored as a side-effect of my ignoring the people, or what people want me to think, care about, do, etc.), and that in itself seems to piss people off.

again, it's because i don't worry all the time about what others are thinking about me. they'll think what they want to think no matter what i do.

It can be quite hurtful sometimes when my natural enthusiasm is labelled as arrogance and attention whoring.

why is it so hard for some to believe that wanting attention is not a pre-requisite for getting attention?

i've come to the conclusion that it's people who want attention and aren't getting it that bemoan others that do, so when someone else does get attention, they simply can't believe that the person didn't TRY.

So maybe I'd put it in a list of non-ENTP people's flaws:

- Always assume that anyone who's passionate and enthusiastic is arrogant and egotistical.
- Always assume that anyone who gets attention wants it, loves it and did something on purpose to get it, rather than consider the possibility that they might've just merited it.

meh... why bother.

really...sounds like something I would do

ha. yes, the INTJs i've known have said the same thing. however, i won't lie, i do have that in common with them to a certain extent. people don't necessarily have to have a use set in my mind, but i know they have one. meaning, i don't have to consciously know what a person's use is, i just know there is one. everyone has uses. and, while i don't go beyond watching closely and noticing potential, it doesn't become completely conscious until it's necessary to use their skills.

which sounds worse than it is.

personally, i think all people do that to some extent.

(sorry, had to break that up to make sure it wouldn't get cut off. also, i said so much because you people made me by saying shit i agreed with.)

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
As long as ideas are better, they'll sustain themselves no matter what stupid "lines of power" say.

Several ENTP's I know burnt their bridges with the wrong people because of this...

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
Several ENTP's I know burnt their bridges with the wrong people because of this...

I've burnt a few bridges and jobs with this one. I still don't regret though; those fuckers had it coming and the pain of living that existence isn't worth the upside of keeping a job, or making dumb-asses feel better.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've burnt a few bridges and jobs with this one. I still don't regret it though; those fuckers had it coming ....

This post gets a "Gold Star" for Quintessential ENTP Post of the Day. :party2:

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Sexy but unreliable.

Usehername

On a mission
Sexy but unreliable.

sexy until they say something like, "damn. i don't have a kleenex and if it wasn't so damned socially inacceptable i'd pick my nose. now i have to wait with a nugget scratching the inside of my damned nasal cavity"

and then sexiness level = -1000x10^10

lamniformes

MBTI Type
ENTP
ohh.. jennifer.. thats very evil of you.
Well, i am an entp and apparently i dont have big problems. The key is being able to balance all the eight functions suitably and not get thrown to an extreme configuration.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've burnt a few bridges and jobs with this one. I still don't regret though; those fuckers had it coming and the pain of living that existence isn't worth the upside of keeping a job, or making dumb-asses feel better.

Absofuckinglutely. :cheers:

I also disagree that we're unreliable. Speaking for myself, if people simply take the time to get to know me they'll find that I have a way of operating which I stick to all the time, so my behaviour in light of that is pretty predictable. You can always bet that I'll do whatever the other people would want to do, and would know was right to do, but they wouldn't have the balls. I'll just do it casually right in their faces and shrug nonchalantly. What're they gonna do - scowl at me and disapprove? Like they don't do that already anyway? Oooo I quiver! LOL

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
My father is an ENTP I think.
I feel bad for him because he has such a hard time making a decision.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
they have a tendency to be obnoxious without realizing it.

for instance, some of them tend to miss the overall benefits of letting others come to their own conclusions about the "balls" they supposedly have that others don't, and instead choose to unnecessarily and constantly strut around announcing what they claim is so obvious. if it's obvious, why go around bragging about it.

some people may not mind one bit coming to their own conclusions that so-and-so has balls that they themselves may not have in a situation, but no one wants to be told by that person, "i got the balls you don't!", and they certainly aren't going to be comfortable with believing it, even if it is true, if it's thrown in their face that way.

as every ENTP i've known, including me, has figured out, people have a tendency to believe their own perception of others, not the one the other person fed them. i wish some would just remember that they know that, relax, and let actions speak for themselves.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
they have a tendency to be obnoxious without realizing it....

Touché!

But the fault I was actually displaying there was more "gets carried away with joking and tongue-in-cheek sending himself up, not realising always when past the point when people begin to take jokes seriously and he gets a bit annoying". I know I've fallen foul of that one a million times.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
:happy2:

Totally off-topic, sorry: How did you manage to put that accent on the e without your post getting cut off?

I didn't. It did get cut off, so I re-wrote it :rolleyes:

Seems to work fine in editing mode, but in composition mode it just don't wanna do it.