• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs: Do you fit cleanly into your MBTI type?

Do you fit cleanly into a specific MBTI type?

• yes-INTP

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • yes-ENTP

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • yes-INTJ

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • yes-ENTJ

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • no-between NT types

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • no-between other types

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters

Jaguar

Monster,

You already know my answer: No.
My problem with some of these posts is,
people are using different criteria to come to their conclusion.
You can't do that and have a reliable poll.

The criteria should be function order.
It's what defines the MBTI types to begin with.

Too many people are bringing up percentages.
That's irrelevant and misleading.
My function order is far from a typical ENTJ.
But if someone looked at my Dom Te-Ni, yep, they'd call me ENTJ.
Problem is, my Te, Ni and Si are easily equal, then comes Ne and the others.
Oh hell, let's just say I have pretty good development of almost all my functions.
And that better be true, because I'm not young.

MBTI is utter bullshit.
You already know I think so.

hommefatal

Monster,

That's irrelevant.
Problem is, my Te, Ni and Si are easily equal. Then comes Ne!
MBTI would say that's impossible.

But then I think MBTI is utter bullshit.
You already know that.
How often have you said it?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Nah. It's a bloody mess, but it's the least bloody-mess-producing fit available.

sculpting

Monster,

That's irrelevant and misleading.
Problem is, my Te, Ni and Si are easily equal, then comes Ne and the others.
Oh hell, let's just say I have pretty good development of almost all my functions.
And that better be true, because I'm not young.

MBTI is utter bullshit.
You already know I think so.

I considered that. Not sure the best way to approach the situation.

My plan:
1) Look at each function strength (other surveys) vs type listed and identify correlation/lack of correlation with standard function order
2) Identify strength of functions for a given type ave over all members who claim that type-ie how much %Fi does a typical enfp use sort of thing relative to Ne
3) Look at each individual function, breakdown into the attributes of each function, and see if trends are present that correlate to different function orders-ie does an Fi dom use F1 or F7 more sort of thing. Are there patterns present, especially in the way functions are used as aux or terts as those seem to develop more unevenly.
4) Another interesting thing would be age and development of the nondom functions.
5) This was more focused on just looking for folks who feel like true outliers, granted, flawed study but would identify at least proportions of folks who dont "feel" a tight fit. At numbers of close to 50 NT/NF respondents it looks like upwards of 20-40% don't fit cleanly into a specific type and 20% cross over between catagories, but need to go check numbers. The more the better so please keep posting.

I am not totally anti MBTI-perhaps the standard dogma works-flawed but okay for 60% of folks maybe?? However to have a complete story it is good to appreciate the leftovers in more depth.

All of course likely statistically insignificant but keeps Ne busy eh?

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I haven't had a professional function test, but I can tell you from my own observations what my most dominant are.

Ni is definitely my preferred and most developed function. Te comes in for a close second though. Fi is fairly strong as well.

I'm no expert, so I won't presume to know more than I actually do. However, it's pretty obvious to anyone that observes my behavior that these functions are dominant in how I interact with the world around me.

So, to answer the OP, I fit my mbti profile of INTJ about as cleanly as one could realistically expect out of the myriad of variances that is the human race.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also use Fi, and I mimick Fe.

I think I developped Fi late teens and early twenties, dealing with a pretty heavy aspect in life.

I also don't quite view myself as a standard INTP. But I'm sure I am one. :)

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
I think I fit into the general archetype of the INTP, but im not the stereotype, and I dont think anyone alive does fit the description of any type completely. Im definitly hardcore Ne and Ti, and Im definitly an Introvert.

Jaguar

I considered that. Not sure the best way to approach the situation.

My plan:
1) Look at each function strength (other surveys) vs type listed and identify correlation/lack of correlation with standard function order
2) Identify strength of functions for a given type ave over all members who claim that type-ie how much %Fi does a typical enfp use sort of thing relative to Ne
3) Look at each individual function, breakdown into the attributes of each function, and see if trends are present that correlate to different function orders-ie does an Fi dom use F1 or F7 more sort of thing. Are there patterns present, especially in the way functions are used as aux or terts as those seem to develop more unevenly.
4) Another interesting thing would be age and development of the nondom functions.
5) This was more focused on just looking for folks who feel like true outliers, granted, flawed study but would identify at least proportions of folks who dont "feel" a tight fit. At numbers of close to 50 NT/NF respondents it looks like upwards of 20-40% don't fit cleanly into a specific type and 20% cross over between catagories, but need to go check numbers. The more the better so please keep posting.

I am not totally anti MBTI-perhaps the standard dogma works-flawed but okay for 60% of folks maybe?? However to have a complete story it is good to appreciate the leftovers in more depth.

All of course likely statistically insignificant but keeps Ne busy eh?

Hey, the fact that you are even interested in those outside the box is great.
It gets old reading ignorant posts from those who think everyone has to be one of the 16 types.

I call them: MBTI Nazis. :D

No matter the method, I find myself asking what's the end goal?
What will the results change?
To me, what people claim to use MBTI for, completely contradicts.
Take a look at the subject titles.
It takes mere seconds to say : WTF?

Why are NF's whiny assholes?
Why are NT's fuckwads.
Why do you hate INTJs?
Why do you HATE
Why do you HATE
Why do you HATE

See the pattern?

Is people knowing they do or don't fit a box "clean" really going to change anything?

Let's say you had a new type for yourself called XXXX.
Congrats, now you too can be added to the cauldron.

Why do you HATE XXXX?

This is why I say, what really is the goal?
And is that goal even worth pursuing?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I find your lack of faith to be a product of type tendency.

Submit. Obey. Conform.

I am your father.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I've been between ENTJ, ENTP, and ENFP for as long as I can remember.

Or, alternatively, those who fit cleanly into boxes can't understand why others do not fit cleanly.

To generalize, nobody really understands anybody else, at all, ever :D

nd if one does ever its prolly called eternal love. That didnt sound way as cool as it was supposed to sound :D

Jaguar

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I find your lack of faith to be a product of type tendency.

Submit. Obey. Conform.

I am your father.

LOL.
I think we should just burn all the type tests.
:yay:

laughingebony

MBTI Type
INTP

I often wonder if Jung was correct in his selection of the eight cognitive functions. (It was Jung, right? I haven't actually read any books about the MBTI other than "Please Understand Me.") Could there be more? Less? Did he isolate the right functions? The five-factor model of personality was derived from a clever combination of the lexical hypothesis with factor analysis. Perhaps the cognitive function theory (?) could benefit from something similar.

As for the question in the title... no, I don't fit cleanly into my type. It took me a while to decide on INTP; for a while I thought I could have been INFP. Based solely on the strength of each of my cognitive functions, my order is Ti > Fi > Ne >> everything else. As such, I shouldn't fit into a type. However, after considering that "auxiliary" means "offering or providing help," and not necessarily "whichever function is the second-strongest," I realized Ne, not Fi, was my auxiliary. My Fi works against my Ti. It battles my Ti for a spot as my dominant function, and it often wins. In cases when my Fi disagrees with my Ti, I am completely torn. I either want to...

1. Explode
or
2. Break down and cry (although I hardly know how to cry).

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
*ahem*

Should I say this or should I not? Eh, whatever.

For whatever reason, perhaps it's just me being stuck being me, but whatever, it seems really, really unlikely that anyone can easily appreciate what a function is unless they actually do easily and naturally consciously access it.

Also, I strongly suspect that a lot pf people, hell, probably most people, mislabel their cognitive activities, mostly because whatever the name of the activity, it's still an activity and you might as well call it something. I guess for most people it's the cognitive activity itself that's the interesting part, not the MBTI model that hands out the labels.

And frankly, if there's people out there routinely claiming to know what is going on inside their heads from a model theoretical point of view as opposed to a directly and accurately introspective point of view, well, jeez, you can't all be INT enough to get it right, now, can ya.

Who's yer Daddy?

PS. does weakly expressed function preferences mean weakly expressed personality?

deepthought

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I fit into INTP type but my function development was a little off due to some things such as: EXFJ mom overdeveloped my Fe :(, aswell as my ISTJ dad making me conform and seriously throwing my Ne under the bus for many years, forcing me to use Si alot more then id much rather use it, but overall it has me as a well devoloped teenager as of know. Also to add to this it almost feels like I have Ti as a dominant function but Fi as well since i had tested INFP once or twice and my F is increasing but my T creates a stone wall in front of it almost like i have Xi as my dominant function.

sculpting

*ahem*

Should I say this or should I not? Eh, whatever.

For whatever reason, perhaps it's just me being stuck being me, but whatever, it seems really, really unlikely that anyone can easily appreciate what a function is unless they actually do easily and naturally consciously access it.

Also, I strongly suspect that a lot pf people, hell, probably most people, mislabel their cognitive activities, mostly because whatever the name of the activity, it's still an activity and you might as well call it something. I guess for most people it's the cognitive activity itself that's the interesting part, not the MBTI model that hands out the labels.

And frankly, if there's people out there routinely claiming to know what is going on inside their heads from a model theoretical point of view as opposed to a directly and accurately introspective point of view, well, jeez, you can't all be INT enough to get it right, now, can ya.

Who's yer Daddy?

PS. does weakly expressed function preferences mean weakly expressed personality?

:devil: Got any candy?

I agree on some level-I got really good Ni scores because I Ne'ed my way through the fucking test. I cant tell if I have any Ni, so I am going to assume I do not have much.

However Te and Ti are very different for me and feel very different. I know this sounds screwed up but I can "feel" my brain having to work when it goes down in the Ti trenches. It can take a few days for the gears to start kicking in. When studying for the LSAT or GRE analytical, I could feel whole chunks of brain come on line and get better over a period of weeks.

However I will NEVER be Ti dom or even Ti aux. It just isnt that natural for me, so I suck at it, but sort of limp along. I think I use it to quell Fi, so I don't feel Fi style emotional pain. It allows me to control my Fi gut responses. My baby Te just comes natural.

However like laughingebony, and a few of the others who have been commenting in various spots, I can end up feeling very torn. I can be very confused about what to do and I feel like there is an argument going on in my brain some days.

Even worse-I will switch modes from day to day or hour to hour. So one minute I will be Ti logical (??) or Te dominant bitchy or Fi sweet and loving, or in Fi emo agony. It flips all over the place and can be messy. Homones play a role. How much I am on the defensive to protect the Fi also plays a role.

Not weakly expressed personality-just ackward and kloodgy and unpredictable. I end up making people mad as nobody likes everybody but I have chunks of everybody in my body. So no matter what I'll end up offending you at some point unless I work really hard at hiding stuff. I think the reason my thinkers like me more than my feelers is that they don't get thier feelings hurt but can also ignore the emo. They stabilize me some.

Now if the whole world was like me we would all be perfectly normal and I would be normal.

Entropy

MBTI Type
INTP
INTP describes me pretty well. At once I thought, maybe I'm really INFP. What a laugh! I woke up from that spell pretty quickly after trying Fi on for size. I'm probably closest to ENTP if any other. I can run pretty far with Ne, but Ti, without fail, kicks in to pull the reins before I get too crazy. I can handle socializing and parties, but there's no doubt of my dominant function.