• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT abstract conversation starters

D

Dali

If we talked about that, I'd then bounce of that and think about why do we bother reviewing restaurants, what are the social implications of reviews of restaurants. what about reveiws in general and why do we feel the need to seek others guidance on what we choose to purchase?

What in evolution pushes us to seek the guidance of our peers? What benefit does this provide us as a species? Do some of us not seek guidance? What would they look like and how would they relate? How about animals, do they seek guidance of thier peers in a similiar fashion? Do the same biochemical principals that underlie love and social recognition also underlie our need for peer approval? Could the basics of the review process be based in watching our peers as they taste and try new items and somehow serve as social cues to guide us towards or away from dangerous foodstuffs?

At about this point the Ss are getting up and leaving me and the NTs to finsih eating together. It can be very hard talking to Ss conversationally as everything gets abstract for me very quickly.

I'd love to have those conversations for whatever length of time. Would be real interesting.

Great thread btw.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
why does it take me 25 minutes to shave my legs and you only 5
why am i so awesome
whats with 'chicken factory' pita?? all they do is dump fries in it and call it factory
what if the sky fell and you were on the can?
what if the sky fell just as you were about to be electrocuted in the chair

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
If you could be on your ideal vacation right now, where would you be and what would it be like?
What are the geopolitical implications of a world running out of petroleum in a context where world war is impossible due to the existence of nuclear weapons?
Anything about religion, before you piss the other person off because of your underlying skepticism and iconoclastic view toward religious symbols.
Does free will exist?
Is humanity more beholden to it's individualistic reproductive drive, or it's communal group selection drive?
Is the concept of God simply a way for humans to grasp the fundamentally non-intuitive nature of probability?
Is there anything in the universe that cannot be described by mathematics, or more specifically, is there anything that is written in a language other than mathematics?
How would a higher form of intelligence than human intelligence manifest itself? What would be its hopes, desires, needs and relationship with the material world, or would it even bother with these questions?
Is it even possible to engage in interstellar travel? How would you go about creating the proper shielding to survive the interstellar medium?
Of course, there's also Isaac Asimov's favorite question - how do you expect us to be able to survive the heat death of the universe? Is it even worth worrying about?

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
why does it take me 25 minutes to shave my legs and you only 5
why am i so awesome
whats with 'chicken factory' pita?? all they do is dump fries in it and call it factory
what if the sky fell and you were on the can?
what if the sky fell just as you were about to be electrocuted in the chair

I'm using these! :laugh:

If you could be on your ideal vacation right now, where would you be and what would it be like?
I can handle stuff like this. The other things are conversations I could try to suffer through, but it would be really hard. Just being honest. :cheese:

The NT that I am wondering about specifically has a pretty developed sensory side, as well, and he tested very borderline between S/N. Most of the time our conversations are more along the lines of sensing. Sometimes he'll go all NT on me about music, and I just listen and try to show interest even though, to be honest, he somewhat loses me. Music is his job and his life, so I try to converse about it as much as I can. While most of our conversations are sensory-related, awhile back I just randomly asked him what he would do if he could build his dream home. I sat in awe as he went into a huge detailed discourse about all of the possibilities he could envision. I was somewhat surprised at his excitement in discussing the topic, which made me think that he would probably love to talk about that kind of thing more often.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY

I can handle stuff like this. The other things are conversations I could try to suffer through, but it would be really hard. Just being honest. :cheese:

The NT that I am wondering about specifically has a pretty developed sensory side, as well, and he tested very borderline between S/N. Most of the time our conversations are more along the lines of sensing. Sometimes he'll go all NT on me about music, and I just listen and try to show interest even though, to be honest, he somewhat loses me. Music is his job and his life, so I try to converse about it as much as I can. While most of our conversations are sensory-related, awhile back I just randomly asked him what he would do if he could build his dream home. I sat in awe as he went into a huge detailed discourse about all of the possibilities he could envision. I was somewhat surprised at his excitement in discussing the topic, which made me think that he would probably love to talk about that kind of thing more often.

Lol, that's exactly what I meant earlier when I posted:

You want to have a nice conversation or do you want us to talk as much as possible. If it's the first thing you want then start talking hobbies and stuff. I love to talk about places I've been, jobs I've had, people I met, skills I learned etc.. On the other hand once you get me going with a topic like meta-physics, social psychology, politics or the aestheticism of music I won't shut up ever again and the conversation tends to get a bit one sided and dull for the other person after a while.

...obsessively :blush:

Me too. I didn't with this thread and reading it again just now, I can see my post is full of errors and things I would've written down differently if I had taken the time to correct.

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
There was a huge discussion on the NF forum a week or so ago about how NF's can converse with S's. I guess when it comes down to it, it's just difficult sometimes for an N and an S to have a conversation that is mutually stimulating.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp

im not really joking...these are decent conv topics depending on age and interests

start with these and let the NT draw out the big picture, you fill in the little details...have a decent conversation going where none of you feel out of place...would take a lil effort on both sides

you: how would you rather die (this is another can of worms where the NT will be like 'why do i have to die', 'is there heaven'...quench these with a verbal fist)
NT: gunshot to the head
you: with a silver bullet?
NT: why silver?
you: why not silver? what do you want? gold?
NT: why would it matter, im gonna die anyway
you: last time you are alive and you have no preference as to whats inside your own body?
NT: ya ok...silver is shinier and prettier
you: your sooo fake...even on your deathbed

lol...obviously the convos not even gonna be close but you get the point

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
"which melee weapon would you use and why?"

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Hehe, the idea is right, but please execution it with more subtlety.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Simply put, for an S, if you want to make the conversation more engaging for an N, take a conversation about past events or current conditions, and change it to something about possibilities and potentialities. Instead of asking what the person's favorite movie is, ask "if you had to watch one movie tomorrow, and you could only choose one, what would it be?". You're asking the same question, just appealing to different processes.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I find human behavior, perceptions, and how the brain operate very interesting topic. As well as physic, astronomy, and future use of new concept. Basically topics which discuss the what, how, and why things/events occur.

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
lol...here's a good conversation starter "We were talking about where we
thought they spoke Dutch and some people thought it was in Denmark."

"You mean they don't speak dutch in denmark?"

"No, actually its spoken in Holland and some parts of Belgium and Danish is
actually spoken in Denmark."

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I am with you on this. Abstract notions never interested me, I need things more deeply rooted to reality.

Same here. It's like, we'll never know the answer anyway...no use babbling on about it.

OneMoreTimeSimply put, for an S, if you want to make the conversation more engaging for an N, take a conversation about past events or current conditions, and change it to something about possibilities and potentialities. Instead of asking what the person's favorite movie is, ask "if you had to watch one movie tomorrow, and you could only choose one, what would it be?". You're asking the same question, just appealing to different processes.

Very good question here. Either one, really. My ears would perk up at that question!