• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] are INTJ perfectionists?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am a perfectionist in that I hardly ever act because I constantly fear that the reality I imagined won't be the reality in practice. So I think, but I hardly ever do because of the fear of something not going in my way. So I end up living in an inner fantasy world.

Mendacity

Like pretty much everyone else has said, I am a perfectionist about the things I think are important. Everything else is pretty much neglected until it gets to the point that something HAS GOT to be done.

I can see how, if he feels that so many things in his work place are done poorly or inefficiently or wrong your cousin might get annoyed about it. But for me, little office details like the things he blogged about are more trouble to correct than they're worth.

Probably a bit type, a bit just your cousin. :)

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I know several INTJ's that are very perfectionnistic about the things they deem important. INTJ scientists, for example, are very meticulous if they are passionate about their research subject. This is in contrast with the ENTJ. As an ENTJ, I've been called a perfectionnist but I'm not. I'm into efficiency and I'll cut corners to get to somewhere faster.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I know several INTJ's that are very perfectionnistic about the things they deem important. INTJ scientists, for example, are very meticulous if they are passionate about their research subject. This is in contrast with the ENTJ. As an ENTJ, I've been called a perfectionnist but I'm not. I'm into efficiency and I'll cut corners to get to somewhere faster.

I see what you did! :harhar:

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
With Te as secondary function, I think the INTJ type is probably the second strongest of the iNtuitive types on actualisation, behind ENTJs. Generally I think most INTJs are very good at following through with their ideas, compared to most other types. I think what you describe fits better to NPs.

Actually, if you generate so many concepts that you can never complete one before starting another that can be a problem.

This is one of the reasons why my house is untidy... every unused portion of time is used to start and generate new idea's.. which tend to bulk up into large pieces of work. Then I have to prioritise... which means leaving the mundane.

Following through to actualisation depends on the size and scale of the concept. The best ideas are generally very big and very complex. Highest payoff generally is the top ranked idea that falls within all the various parameters you put into the equation (And their can be many, e.g. risk, capital requirements, time, payoff and so forth). Worst of all is that successfully rolling out a concept requires repetition and focus (Which a ISTJ partner might be significantly useful).

I actually don't think INTJ's are that entrepreneurial and successful at making money. Most successful people I see are more like the ISTJ's that don't have "lots of ideas" and just focus on 1 idea (The only one and probably suggested by someone else). Another aspect is that most INTJ's are quite competent and as such the migration from a well paid job into actualising their ideas is actually quite difficult as the opportunity cost is higher.

Anyway, I can definitely say that my most major obstacle is focus, simply because I have so many ideas that often they keep on beating each other into being more highly ranked as my best objective.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Actually, if you generate so many concepts that you can never complete one before starting another that can be a problem.

I agree, but what I claim, is that INTJs, on average (some might be terrible), are good at following through with ideas. It is my claim NPs, on average, have much larger problems with this. It’s quite logical because of the J/P …

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
(some might be terrible), are good at following through with ideas. It is my claim NPs, on average, have much larger problems with this. It’s quite logical because of the J/P …

Ok. agreed.

ygolo

My termites win
I am a perfectionist in that I hardly ever act because I constantly fear that the reality I imagined won't be the reality in practice. So I think, but I hardly ever do because of the fear of something not going in my way. So I end up living in an inner fantasy world.

Fear is the root of all procrastination. The other forms of lack-of-follow-through are due to simply becoming distracted.

Confusing the two reasons for delay can be disastrous.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
are they?
I am.
I was really really bad,
but I have improved over the years.
I used to cry out of frustration if I couldn't get things perfect.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
are they?

here's a quote from my INTJ cousin's personal Blog, who recently just got very frustrated & mad with his workplace for not being as perfect as he wants to be , and because the office staff often make small-little mistakes that he just CAN'T tolerate! (even including MY small-little mistake! ouch!)

As a result, he did correct ALL the tiny-little details & mistakes that our 6 office staffs made!
from scanning, filling Proforma invoice, for costing, accounting, etc etc etc etc etc!

...i really am shocked, and awed by his perfectionist & personal-competence attitude!
but is this really typical of INTJ folks, generally, or just my cousin?...i wonder?
Sadly, I have been that intensely perfectionistic.
Poor him. I know how he feels.
It has taken me many years and much work to let go of some of those standards,
and realize they really don't matter -
except for not getting the table all on one page -
there was no excuse for that!

And how irritating is it when people make copies,
and the picture is crooked on the page!
If you know you're sloppy and don't care,
don't volunteer to do a job like that!

Oops. :blush:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Maybe he's ISTJ or very close to the INTJ/ISTJ border. ISTJ's are definitely perfectionists.
Are you sure?!
I find that hard to believe.
Not the ISTJs I know.
Can you find that in print somewhere?
Maybe he's an INTJ with a high S.
My daughter is an ISTJ and I couldn't make her a perfectionist if I wanted to.
(Actually, I'm happy for her that she doesn't have to suffer from it like I do.)