• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Sensory stuff you find oddly enjoyable

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
So, sitting here in my room listening to some old electronica, I opened my window and the headlights dancing on my wall through the window creating shadows is really cool. I keep walking about watching them move, yet I can't figure out why I like it. Maybe it's the randomness.

Anyone else? :tongue:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That sounds cool.

I like watching clouds. And the shadows of clouds on the ground. And large groups of people milling about (as long as I am not part of them). Or traffic patterns. Or sports games, where people move in intricate patterns on the field as they vie for strategic placement.

I like watching leaves dance in the trees when a steady breeze is blowing (especially at night, when everything is more like a shadow.)

I like watching thunderstorms develop, the wind kick up, the clouds billow upward, the sky turn brownish/purplish/black.

I like watching water shimmer and ripple.

I like watching snow gently fall down. I go out and stand in the middle of the street at 1am, and no one is awake, and no cars are out, and everything is silent --- everything but the snow -- and the ground/streets is carpeted in white, and I feel the snowflakes cold-prickle as they hit my face and I hear them brush softly on the ground when they land. That is a gorgeous time.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I like sleeping in on a Sunday (yes, Sunday) morning when it's raining outside.

outmywindow

MBTI Type
INTP
I really like driving long long distances. Good tunes, cigarettes, seasoned sunflower seeds and nothing to do but drive, drive, drive. You think about all kinds of stuff (nothing urgent, though), and forget you're even driving.

Oh yes, definitely (minus the cigarettes). I take mental road trips a lot when I'm stressed out -- I just drive and drive for miles in my head. It's not quite as good as the real thing, but it works in a pinch.

I've always loved the way streets look at night after a rainstorm. The way headlights and streetlights and any neon advertising lights reflect and swim on the blackness of the asphalt is mesmerising to me. I guess this is kind of similar to what Wolf described in his OP.

Also, I really like fog -- thick, pea soup fog. We have really thick, heavy fog in the area where I grew up (so much so that we have an annual 'Fog Festival'), and I always enjoyed the way it altered the landscape. It makes me feel like I'm somewhere new and different. When I was quite young I remember trying in vain to walk into the fog and disappear the same way other people would disappear when they walked into the fog and away from me. I was so disappointed when I realized I couldn't get wrapped up in the fog the way I wanted to... Stupid point of reference crap.

dblhelix

MBTI Type
INTP
I like watching moving water, putting my hand in it, watching all the ripples and movements. If I go swimming, that's all I end up doing, just moving the water around and watching it.

Another thing is that I like to stay in that halfway point between staying asleep and being awake. I just let my mind wander freely...:sleeping:

Shimpei

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Most of art is sensory as you first perceive it. At least visual arts and music.

Dansker

MBTI Type
INTP
I like to stay in that halfway point between staying asleep and being awake. I just let my mind wander freely...:sleeping:
I love that too.

I love the feel of the sun on my face, particularly in winter when it is cold outside. I had lunch outside today and I could have sat there for hours in the sun, reading a book and watching the world go by.

I also love the feel of sand on my feet at the beach, and watching waves build up and come crashing into shore.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most of art is sensory as you first perceive it. At least visual arts and music.
Those define my entire life. Why am I not a Sensor then? I test rather extremely intuitive. I'm guessing there are different ways of interacting with our senses. You mention the initial perception of it. Also, in Jung's theory everyone is S and N, all of the functions. Makes good sense to me. :)

I love playing rough with my cats, and with dogs when I have them. You really have to 'be' present to pull it off. They feel so fun, so furry and squishy. It's really funny when they bite and scratch and it hurts like heck.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Interesting weather

Computer game terrain

Music

Naked/almost naked women (The appearence)

Waves

Mixing patterns

Water evaporating off a hot cooking pan.

(some of these may be because I imagine the process going on, and that adds to it.)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Short list:

I like it when I am going for a walk and I can smell the fabric softener smell coming from people's dryer vents.

I like the smell of woodsmoke on a cold winter night.

I like the smell that comes after rain, the smell of plastic beach toys, the smell of chlorine both swimming pools and bleach.

I like being hugged so hard I can barely breathe (only by Don and only sometimes).

I used to love the reflections that the sunlight bouncing off the swimming pool and through my eyelet curtains made on the walls in my bedroom in the morning at the house we lived in when I was in eighth grade.

I like thunderstorms and being rained on if it's warm.

I like the feel of silly putty.

I like the sound of snow crunching under my feet.

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
I love trees; I could watch them for hours. The way the leaves move in the breeze, the designs the bare branches make against the sky...

I also love listening to whippoorwills.

And playing with my dogs.

And walking in the rain.

And smelling fresh air, the special scent of each season.

And hanging my clothes on the line. (and sleeping in a bed of sun-dried linens)

And watching fire.

All these things and more... when I do them, I exist only in the moment, in the physical sensations they produce. It's almost like I forget I'm a whole person, and I'm wrapped up in that one sensation.

Chaselation

MBTI Type
INTP
The sound of cicadas in the trees on a hot summer day.

The very early morning sound of birds singing. Particularly mourning doves.

The sound of a small private airplane flying overhead (Cessna or the like). It gives me an amazing lonely sad feeling.

Trying to predict where a firefly will be from one flash to the next.

The smell after it just starts to rain. I've heard it's ozone I'm not sure.

file cabinet

I like running my hand along a metal railing that has been painted and heated by a sun... it has a unique texture and a likeable temperature. and, laying down on couches that have been warmed by the sun (kind of like a heated bed, great for naps..). driving somewhere when the air is still damp on a summer morning air.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I love the colour of a room when it's raining heavily outside and how that colour to me feels like most piano music.

I love tossing rocks into deep pools just to hear the "plunk" they make when they hit the water.

I love the smell of books.

I like the massive crack a tree makes when the trunk has been split.

I love looking up through leaves when the light shines through them and how each leaf shifts the light differently so that when the wind blows, there's a visual concert of light.

I love watching the light reflections from water on walls and the sound of dripping water echoing.

I love old rooms full of antiques that haven't been touched in years and are taken apart...I love attics and basements and I love exploring through these things, walking carefully as if the floor might disappear. I love old places that feel like they haven't seen a face for ages and feel empty and devoid of people except or myself. In such places, even my mind goes silent and I feel very small and watchful and time becomes irrelevant except for the space I occupy.

I love the texture of river rocks, wet driftwood, snake scales, and rabbit fur.

I love watching my dog explore something she's never seen before...and how she visably perks up and arches her head down...and you can SEE her thinking, "What is this? What happens if I poke it? What is it made of? Is it edible?"

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
the sound of waves

the soft sound of a baby sleeping

the feel of hugging someone I love

the patterns that the leaves on trees make on the ground when the sun shines thru

when music penetrates my brain just as I'm waking

walking in soft warm rain

watching a dog dreaming

slipping under my down comforter on a cold winter evening.

the sound of the snow underneath my snowboard

listening to children giggle when they are truly amused

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I like the sound of the rain and watching it fall.

I like the crackle of a fire and watching the flames dance.

I like the smell in the air after it's rained and has been warm, the air is so sweet... all that was dry is wet once again.

The giggle of a baby, the pitter patter of little feet.

Snow falling and the silence it brings.

I like watching the sun set and the sky change colour and watching the stars slowly brighten the sky.

I like when it's raining yet the clouds are breaking and there are hints of sunshine, and you can watch the water evaporating yet it's still raining.

I like the rays of sunlight through the clouds... and the sliver of the moon.

I love sitting back and watching people interact with others, and life and nature.

I also love late night highway drives!

Short list:

I like it when I am going for a walk and I can smell the fabric softener smell coming from people's dryer vents.

I like being hugged so hard I can barely breathe

I like thunderstorms and being rained on if it's warm.

I like the sound of snow crunching under my feet.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I like watching the simple things... the leaves on branches of the tree outside my window dancing in the breeze. The random birds, both the little finches and the crows, landing on the tree. That single odd black squirrel that keeps on running back and forth across the street. I have the radio going into the background. Half listening, sometimes humming along with it, sometimes singing even though I am horribly off-key. Sometimes people give me weird looks because I, as one of the most impatient person around, can sit there staring at things for hours. They ask me what I'm looking at, and I tell them "the trees..." etc. I think they think I'm crazy.

Sartorial

MBTI Type
ENTP
Putting on some good music (trance, funk, jam band, ambient, drum n bass), turning down the lights, turning iTunes visualizer on, burning some, and then watching the visualizer do it's thing.

Though, I don't think this is 'oddly' enjoyable. Obviously enjoyable, more accurately.

For my oddly enjoyable sensory thing, I like pulling open a heavy door and feeling the pull/stretch in your upper back, shoulder, and arm. Feels awesome to me for some reason.

Immediately before a heavy summer thunderstorm right as the sun is setting - orange clouds obscure the sky, the hot air gets really humid, a cool breeze begins to stir, and an odd silence washes over everything.