• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How narcissistic are you (aware that you are)?

Check all symptoms that apply in accordance with their strength.

• Total voters
T

ThatGirl

According to the list, I have dated probably every narcissist on the face of the earth.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
According to the list, I have dated probably every narcissist on the face of the earth.
I'm not saying I'm amazing, but when you date me, I'll show you what real narcissism is. But, then again, I'm also amazing by myself <3.

GOOD GOD, I'm awesome.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
This questions is unfair towards E-types :D

As in: I tried my best, now admire me !

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram
I have 2 as Major, and 1 and 3 are minor. Really though I think #2 seems pretty natural for an NT. Maybe that's just me.

Nope. Definately not an NT thing. I almost always have fantasies about how I plan on growing up and, well, FAILING...

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Check as many symptoms as you think apply. Only one strength per symptom, please.

The poll is public and placed in the NT Rationale because I am especially interested in the votes of other (I)NT(J)s.

PS: Yes, I'll vote, as soon as I've finished mulling over the strength of my various symptoms.

Edit: I voted. :cry:

I'm an INTJ and none of those apply to me. I must be broken. :yes:

I don't actually think INTJs are prone to narcissism; excessive pride and arrogance maybe, but not narcissism.

Econ, I assume you are concerned that you meet the criteria for a narcissist? Is this a recent awareness or something you've looked into for a while?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I call 2 ambition :). I don't actually believe I'll get there, but it's cool to aim for. And my reasoning to get there is so I can get other things done, and move the world to a place where I get to see certain things in my lifetime. For instance I want to see other planets and stuff, and explore space, but governments want to talk about closed systems like the economy. yawn..

All the nine traits are common. It's only NPD when you do too many, and do them excessively.

sculpting

Honestly, my IRL INTJs can come across as arrogant, obnoxious, argumentative, a little huaghty, but it is all misinterrpretation on the part of the observer. None of my INTJs, even the worst, really seem to fit the mold quite right-especially the parts about insecurity and need for social recognition, via bragging on nice things and such. They dont hold these opinions internally, they are just told they look that way.

I currently have a pet lab bunny narcissit, who has driven me nuts, and is 9 of 9 on the NPD scale above. Normally I'd feel bad studying a person who was a little odd, but trust me, he deserves it (and a broken nose). It is utterly fascinating and I think some of the very basic assumptions about this disorder may not be right.

They are very difficult to help or change, but I think the whole problem has been interrpreted incorrectly. If you dont understand the core issue, can you really ever hope to fix the problem by treating the symptoms?

Same thing for borderline personality disorder.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If this is narcissism, I think I might be a mild narcissist myself, in a few ways. :blush:

And I think, as crazy as this sounds... I think I actually LIKE narcissists a lot more than other kinds of people. Other kinds of people just seem boring, somehow, and being around them makes me feel bored/boring as well... it's like they have no vision. Narcissists maybe arrogant and lacking empathy, but at least they're interesting.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Non of the above, in fact, I suffer from the lack of all of that, that's why I keep reminding myself to have appreciation for myself..
But it's also important to me to get appreciation from others for things I do to them, but if they don't show that appreciation, I have a funny way to remind them of my favors and show them that I actually had a bless upon them and they should be thankful to have me in their life[emoji12][emoji12]
And the other thing is that I get frustrated and feel aggressive when someone ignores me on purpose, basically because I'm naturally grabbing attention of most of the people when I walk into a room, and also when I talk, so if someone ignores me on purpose that feels so disrespectful and insulting. and I instantly feel aggressive and emotional over it..

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Reading the criteria, I can think of people who would fulfill many yet clearly are not narcissists. One of my many gripes with modern psychology is the deliberate vagueness of diagnostic criteria.

Marked 2, 9
Mild 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

So there you go...surely I must be a narcissist! :shock:

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not narcissistic in the way you'd usually describe it, but it's still a feeling of being separated from other people. Kind of this 'No one understands what I'm going through / has it as bad as me' way of thinking, which can be a narcissist mentality all by itself I think.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Which is more opposite of narcissism: self-loathing or existential apathy?

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

In "Pure Entitlement" or NPD? If the latter, I would say neither really. They're substantial parts of it, actually.

Maybe not self-loathing (that's more BPD), but certainly very low actual self esteem. And existential apathy could be the cause of the emptiness that is felt in many PDs.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd say I relate to mild 2,3,4,5 and 8.
I blame it on being a 4 core and 3 wing... I blame it on the enneagram!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
only mild 3, but is it a problem if its true? and no it's not me being a fucking victim its just something that's been proved repeatly, damnit all you think oh blah blah because for most of my life i assumed anyone could understand me but most fucking can't. and if that makes me narcisist then you don't know.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Worship me!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I identify with mild 3. I don't often feel understood, but on one level I think it may not be possible for any two human beings to fully understand each other, so it's not something I feel exclusively applies to me.

Self-loathing can require too much focus on self and can be part of a weird dynamic of over/under-inflation of self. People can feel deeply insecure that maybe they aren't superior to everyone else. There is a weird way I've seen people who identify as low self-esteem also feel incredibly entitled. It can only be the insecurity of not being superior? The wiki description of narcissism includes two major types: focus on grandiosity and focus on victimization. Feeling victimized is a little different from self-loathing, but it can be related. Narcissists are also quite apathetic towards others, so the apathy would have to be directed towards self to be the opposite.

I would say that there is an inverse relationship between empathy and narcissism. Both break down the boundaries between Self and Other, and taken to an extreme, both fuse a sense of Self with Other. When pain is encountered both the empath and the narcissist can take on the experience of pain in the other person. For the empath, it is about the other person, but for the narcissist, the pain of others is also about Self. There is a way to identify the difference - observe how the individual solves the problem of pain. Do they require Others to assist their pain? Do they take from others to resolve it? Or do they extend Self too far to assist the pain of others? Do they give to an unhealthy extent to resolve it?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I identify with mild 3. I don't often feel understood, but on one level I think it may not be possible for any two human beings to fully understand each other, so it's not something I feel exclusively applies to me.

Self-loathing can require too much focus on self and can be part of a weird dynamic of over/under-inflation of self. People can feel deeply insecure that maybe they aren't superior to everyone else. There is a weird way I've seen people who identify as low self-esteem also feel incredibly entitled. It can only be the insecurity of not being superior? The wiki description of narcissism includes two major types: focus on grandiosity and focus on victimization. Feeling victimized is a little different from self-loathing, but it can be related. Narcissists are also quite apathetic towards others, so the apathy would have to be directed towards self to be the opposite.

I would say that there is an inverse relationship between empathy and narcissism. Both break down the boundaries between Self and Other, and taken to an extreme, both fuse a sense of Self with Other. When pain is encountered both the empath and the narcissist can take on the experience of pain in the other person. For the empath, it is about the other person, but for the narcissist, the pain of others is also about Self. There is a way to identify the difference - observe how the individual solves the problem of pain. Do they require Others to assist their pain? Do they take from others to resolve it? Or do they extend Self too far to assist the pain of others? Do they give to an unhealthy extent to resolve it?

:thinking: That is interesting - does this mean that an empath who is succumbing under weight of it all (because they take on the pain of others but do not necessarily know yet how to regulate the intensity, detach and actually have the distance needed to address and resolve that pain, so it accumulates instead) and finally does turn to themselves and can no longer contain the eruption would temporarily become narcissistic?