• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Learning to type on the go.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
How long did it take the rest of you NT's to learn how to type those you encounter in your daily lives?

What is the quickest way to learn?

Any tips would be helpful as ENTJ's aren't known for their ability understand others.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
im not sure about different typing style between temperaments but i have just complied a large mass of information and experience reguarding types. it comes inutively. in the begining i couldn't seperate ENFP from ENTP or ESs (even IFs from Es) and so on. now my knowledge is greater and i know more of the differences between types. breaking types down into functions adn studying functions hones your typing ability so if i cant get their type right away, (i believe ive bumped into two intp strangers and with only a few or less words were exchanged and i was certain of their type) i can usually guess their dominant function and the rest soon follows. once you learn peoples type, you can compare them to others that you suspect to be the same type. although everyone is an individual, they can definatley be grouped. you learn real-life patterns/mannerisms of types. you can get a vague impression from someone then as you spend more time with them, even at a distance, the impression starts to develop a shape. if you have an idea of what someone may be, look up the possible type(s) and see how the overall portrait compares to your subject. just put a label on them and see if it fits, if not try another, probably one similar.

the way i learnt how to type was by studing typology (even buy books) and begin typing people you know well, like your family. soon you become like neo, being able to read the type matrix behind everything.

i dont put much faith in visual identification because although body language is powerful, you dont always know what someone is reacting to.

so to sum up, practise and knowledge. you dont need to udnerstand people, just be able to indentify the action. the better you are at typing, the less you need to know the person to be accurate.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
This forum has been helpful to me. You notice reoccuring communication styles or senses of humour, writing styles or reactions to statements.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Learn how the eight functions work, then watch to see which functions a person seems to most strongly demonstrate. From there it's a matter of narrowing it down.

If you can find two strong functions, which seems more prominent? If you'e only sure of one (say, Ne), then which are the two types that lead with that function? (ENTP or ENFP?) Which are the two that use it as an auxiliary? (INTP or INFP?)

I find it most easy to recognize S or N, on the basis of whether a person follows me or gives me a blank look. I can often tell Ne from Ni from whether a person cares to externalize and explore his notions, or just shrugs and says whether he agrees or not. Se is concerned with appreciating things, and Si is concerned with making sure everything fits in the correct slot.

Judgment is harder; you have to listen more closely to the precise conclusions that people come to. If you hear some strange leaps in logic, or judgments based on subjective values, that's probably some kind of an F. More of an Fe in the first case; more of an Fi in the latter.

Ti is easier for me to recognize, as it's my dominant function; I notice when people spend most of their cycles compulsively working through problems, to no particular end. Te is all about solving problems once and for all, then moving on. What you really need to do is this, they'll say. Go do it now! (Well, maybe I do, maybe I don't. Maybe I don't want to solve this just yet. Hang on a minute.)

Eventually you start to develop these archetypes in your head. Oh yes, you'll say. This person reminds me of X, Y, and Z other people I've known. She's probably of the same, or a similar, type. Then you can work from there to confirm.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Then when you get really comfortable, you can learn to touch type.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Then when you get really comfortable, you can learn to touch type.

LOL! I am so tired that at first I thought this was was going to be a thread about learning to type. Like, that NTs might have a different learning style for learning the keyboard. I should really go to bed.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I still have much to learn about many types. Currently I type using intuition and I seem to be dead on most of the time.

I got some people on msn to take a test for example and I typed them before they took the tes and had 5 out of 6 people right. Also had my brother and sister test and was right about both of them as well. :p

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I still have much to learn about many types. Currently I type using intuition and I seem to be dead on most of the time.

I got some people on msn to take a test for example and I typed them before they took the tes and had 5 out of 6 people right. Also had my brother and sister test and was right about both of them as well. :p

Yeah, same here, and the few times I have been wrong, I've only been wrong on 1 letter out of the 4. I couldn't for the life of me explain my process well since it's mostly hunches and guesswork, but it works.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's pretty scary too sometimes. N is like a superpower. And superpowers come with great responsibility. :p

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But responsibly it is my responsibility to inform you of the responsibility involved in responsibly using the word responsible.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
How long did it take the rest of you NT's to learn how to type those you encounter in your daily lives?

What is the quickest way to learn?

Any tips would be helpful as ENTJ's aren't known for their ability understand others.

When communicating with someone for only a couple of minutes I will reflect on what has been said and done up till that point. I then think of the four dichotomies of the MBTI typology separately and figure out what clues there are as to how the other person scored on those dichotomies. At that point I should have a very good idea about what type they really are. Next I will think if the type as a whole makes sense to that person based on the descriptions of that type. I'm only still learning about what types have what functions and in what order so that I may incorporate that as well.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm usually hesitant to type too quickly. I prefer to watch for a while, interact with them in different situations and see where that leads me.