• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] My Bout with Rationality

Spartan

MBTI Type
ISFJ
So one day I got really pissed off for a reason I don't remember.
I became uptight, manipulative, very extroverted, and not caring what others think.
We had a debate in a class I had that day and I couldn't stop myself from speaking.
The words literally sprung out of my mouth before I had a chance to understand what I was going to say.
I had a math test that day.
I felt and I actually did a lot better than I normally do on math tests. When I was doing the problems I felt a strange sensation that they were right and I believe my methods had flawless logic.

I literally felt like I could do any task and I felt on top of the world.

I went home and I had a lot of energy but nothing to do. It was okay though, sitting for me on that day for a half hour was fine with me.

I woke up the next morning, and I was back to my ISFJ self.

I believe my brain someone temporaily switched gears and functioned differently during this ordeal.

I strongly believe I was an ENTP during this time.

I have heard in many personality sites about when people get extremely angry they may begin to show signs of their opposite type.

I want an NT perspective on this phenemenonal occurance.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, it's like a catastrophe mode. In times of great stress we sometimes revert to our opposite type. I suspect that this is what motivates people to believe that all introverted people will at some point snap and kill everyone in the building (exaggerated, but you get the point).

Typically when an E gets really mad, they will suddenly get quiet and reserved, whereas an I will start yelling and screaming and such. It hasn't happened to me in like 8 years, thankfully, but I've seen a number of friends do it.

The idea is that your mind realizes that what you are doing apparently isn't working, so it completely changes it's approach.

Mine is ESFP and it's ugly :-/. INTJ ruthlesness mixed with not caring about the consequences and practically controlled by the current emotional state. This last time that comes to mind is when I was in a fight in like 5th/6th grade. I just got so pissed that I stabbed the other guy with a pencil.

Schizm

MBTI Type
INTP
You must mean you want an ENTP who is angry to give you the opposite perspective . ;)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
No, you were an ISTJ! Simply your Fi changed to Ti.

Spartan

MBTI Type
ISFJ
No, you were an ISTJ! Simply your Fi changed to Ti.

I dont think an ISTJ is the one to argue in debates in a class enviornment with thirty other people. They also wouldn't be pushing their point relentlessly like i was doing.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
I dont think an ISTJ is the one to argue in debates in a class enviornment with thirty other people. They also wouldn't be pushing their point relentlessly like i was doing.

Really? my experience with an ISTJ says that they would if the debate was vital to them ie about some long held belief, but that could have been just him.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I started a thread on a similar phenomenon, but it's unknown how type relates to it.
Don't you love it when you are totally immersed in what you do, go for the challenge and everything you do just succeeds and you pull out a super performance? That might have been an experience in flow!

I am most probably ENTP by seeing how my life have went. I dont know if it helps if I share my experience but I hope so.

If I get to choose myself what tasks to do, there's a strong chance that I get most of the work done in relatively short, very energized bursts, from perhaps 1 to 5 hours of length. Usually the energized feeling stays the whole day, but I switch to different tasks. For example, finishing assignment, doing a job application, doing some paperwork, cleaning my house, meeting with friends, inventing new stuff to do, making a plan for future, taking a moment to appreciate my life and playing with the computer in the evening.

When I'm similarly energized in social situations, I am very much upbeat, I tend to entertain people and keep up a happy mood, I joke around and if I see someone get accidentally offended from what I say, I see to it that I can correct my mistake and show my care for the person. I *do* get that message thru in that mood. I tend to lift people's mood, make them feel inspired and free to join in impulsive fun and wild good fun, with often outrageous, funny and often absurd discussions and fooling around.

On another level, those energized ENTP moments seem to me like that I can find exactly the right information needed for any task, almost no matter how complex a situation it might have been, or from subject area that was almost unknown to be before it.

If there is some objective measure to see if my conclusions were right, I will see that I did the top job in my task. If it's a subjective issue, and I get feedback, that will be good feedback. It feels like MacGyverism with whatever I do. If the task is to get some code work, I'll do the most unusual solution and make it happen. If the task is to create something exactly to the required standards, I just speed-read thru the standards manual and create exactly what was required of me. Ok, almost exactly, so that with 2% additional job, it would be perfect. I skip the second-guessing and double-checking methods for the most part when I'm in such productive mood. It about doubles or triples my productivity, and produces some 2-5% errors, which I then correct when I see them.

All in all, I recognize many parts of your ENTP experience, but "uptight" doesn't belong. Just like when I go into my ISFJ shadow mode and do something that you usually do well, I can't do it just as well as you.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I did experience something very weird once, like an emotional blackout. I was already under stress from having moved recently, and at the school I went to, a classmate died. Everyone else cried, but for some reason, I didn't feel moved at all. In fact, the teacher was talking and almost in tears, and after he finished, I suggested that we get on with the lesson because this wasn't really accomplishing anything (NOT typical behavior for me!). He tried to do so, but couldn't because he was too sad. I then just picked up my book, looked around at everyone, rolled my eyes and muttered to myself, "What a waste of energy." Upon thinking this, I remembered the rule that energy cannot be created or destroyed, and just got into the Science book. For the rest of the day, I was still going to class and everything, but I didn't feel any emotions or deal with people outside of classwork. It was like when I looked at people, I simply thought to myself things like "Homo Sapiens Sapiens, capable of complex strategies and adaptations. They are like most mammals in that they are highly complex carbon-based electro-chemical systems. Doesn't currently appear to be hostile." I pretty much had similar thoughts when I looked at anything in particular. This lasted for about three days. I can't even say that I felt nervous or weird about it then, because... well, I didn't feel anything. Although now the idea that my emotions just "shut off" like that kind of disturbs me, because it seems so alien.

The things is, I usually say things to make people feel better, give appropriate emotional responses, etc. All I can say is, this wasn't me.

Park

MBTI Type
INTP

You probably had a day where you made good use of functions further down in the hierachy. I could imagine it was a nice experience.

ygolo

My termites win
So one day I got really pissed off for a reason I don't remember.
I became uptight, manipulative, very extroverted, and not caring what others think.
We had a debate in a class I had that day and I couldn't stop myself from speaking.
The words literally sprung out of my mouth before I had a chance to understand what I was going to say.
I had a math test that day.
I felt and I actually did a lot better than I normally do on math tests. When I was doing the problems I felt a strange sensation that they were right and I believe my methods had flawless logic.

I literally felt like I could do any task and I felt on top of the world.

I went home and I had a lot of energy but nothing to do. It was okay though, sitting for me on that day for a half hour was fine with me.

I woke up the next morning, and I was back to my ISFJ self.

I believe my brain someone temporaily switched gears and functioned differently during this ordeal.

I strongly believe I was an ENTP during this time.

I have heard in many personality sites about when people get extremely angry they may begin to show signs of their opposite type.

I want an NT perspective on this phenemenonal occurance.

You could have been acting like an INTP does in stubborn moments. Not allowing new perceptions to change any premise you used for logic, etc. And using Ne as "club".

Then again, maybe you were still acting like an ISFJ locked into what Si has stored, and using Fe as a "club".

I am bad at this, but I still try to apply the theory I read.