• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs . . . Why are You Messy?

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
And for those that know messy NTs . . . what's your opinion on this matter?

This is intended to be a psychological examination with the purpose of discovering why a so-called rational person can be so systematically irrational.

In advance, thanks for your help.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Exhibit A:

Main Entry:
messy
Pronunciation:
\ˈme-sē\
Function:
adjective
Inflected Form(s):
mess·i·er; mess·i·est

1 : marked by confusion, disorder, or dirt : untidy <a messy room> 2 : lacking precision or neatness : careless, slovenly

Hmm . . . at face value, I would expect the characteristics of the word 'Messy' to be the antithesis of all NTs - including Ps.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
messy to others perhaps.... the chaos that is my room is a result of the chaos in my head. It's not as much chaos as one thinks, though. I know where everything is in my slobbish, bachelorized room.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Standard answer. All messy people say that to justify their behavior. However, it's still inefficient, unorganized, disorderly, and lacking precision. All of which, of course, are not characteristics of a rational, systematic individual.

Now why would you, as a member of the Rational club, do something that would be described in this manner?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
ah, but you see it's not what I'm doing.... it's what i don't do :) and I don't justify things that I don't do - that's just illogical!

I don't need to justify my messy room (i have the laws of entropy and all for that), I need to justify cleaning it in the first place (which I can't do, cuz i dont see the point)

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Standard answer. All messy people say that to justify their behavior. However, it's still inefficient, unorganized, disorderly, and lacking precision. All of which, of course, are not characteristics of a rational, systematic individual.

Now why would you, as a member of the Rational club, do something that would be described in this manner?

Ones man's messy is another's dynamic organization.

More functional. Takes time to put shit away. Lazy.

Upkeep isn't worth the gained efficiency.

That is...........if that was a serious question?

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm messy because I see little reason to spend huge amounts of time organizing things when I can contemplate ideas, be philisophical, and lead groups of people to victory in a computer game.

G

garbage

Many who say what he said do spend ample time rooting through their piles of belongings to find what they're looking for.

However, if what he says is true, he's got a categorization system that apparently works well for him. Taking the time to fit it into any other would be less efficient.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
lighten up dude....

The mess is because there are MUCH more interesting things to spend ones time on. Tidying just means it will get messy and require to be retidied again a few das/weeks later...

Personally I think that someone ought to invesnt a self dusting house... I think that is the most futile of all house hold chores....

:)

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Because the external world doesn't matter doesn't matter as much? Hmm.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
lighten up dude....

The mess is because there are MUCH more interesting things to spend ones time on. Tidying just means it will get messy and require to be retidied again a few das/weeks later...

Personally I think that someone ought to invesnt a self dusting house... I think that is the most futile of all house hold chores....

:)
I'm always as light as a feather, so don't worry about that, dude.

And, I'm not concerned with the issue of dusting, vacuuming, etc. I'm speaking to a system, which is easily created, that will ultimately allow more time to do you "interesting things." In other words, it's much faster to put something in a logical location in order to easily locate it, or them, than it is to have to spend time looking and thinking about where the items are at present time. If NTs are about systems, than why would so many of them continually live in disorder, lack of precision, and carelessness?

It is, in fact, illogical and waisting precious time for "philosophizing."

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY

A system is for sensors. I like the concept of clean better then I actually like cleaning up.

ah, but you see it's not what I'm doing.... it's what i don't do :) and I don't justify things that I don't do - that's just illogical!

I don't need to justify my messy room (i have the laws of entropy and all for that), I need to justify cleaning it in the first place (which I can't do, cuz i dont see the point)

LOL...

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
A system is for sensors. I like the concept of clean better then I actually like cleaning up.
Jesus . . . I feel like I'm teaching MBTI 101 around here today.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Being messy is inefficient, definitely doesn't promote time saving and after awhile will drive me insane. I use to be in the I don't care camp but after organizing my spaces and keeping them that way I found life as a whole had more balance. Not so much..where the fuck are my chunky black heels because I'm certainly not walking around in spike 5 inchers all day because that's all I can find.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Finally . . . a truly logical being making an obvious observation and adjustment.

Thank you.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6

I'm a little appalled by this response. Just because everything doesn't fit into 3 stacks, all of which go neatly together doesn't make a system inefficient.

It is entirely your opinion and belief that "organized chaos" is inefficient. Well, that may be the case for you, but that's not the case. You can have a stack of papers, and have File A in the middle of them. Why flip through all of those papers and tediously grab File A out of the middle and readjust the stack when you can have the papers spread out on your desk or whatever and grab File A much more quickly because you know exactly where it is and you don't have to fuss around with dealing with other things? I work in spurts, and if something as tedious as sorting everything out were to break the pattern of getting things done, then it would actually prevent me from getting work done because I will have lost my train of thought, causing me to be much more inefficient.

A lot of what's deemed as being "orderly" deals with arbitrary things like aesthetics. Aesthetics are nice, but they don't dictate what's rational or not.

Then again, you can't fit a square peg into a round hole. So if it's not for you, it's not for you.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
I'm speaking to a system, which is easily created, that will ultimately allow more time to do you "interesting things." In other words, it's much faster to put something in a logical location in order to easily locate it, or them, than it is to have to spend time looking and thinking about where the items are at present time. If NTs are about systems, than why would so many of them continually live in disorder, lack of precision, and carelessness?
I am organized in general for the reasons you mentioned above, if things are put where they "belong" they are easy to find and that saves time overall.

But I am intentionally messy in my "work area", the surface near my computer is covered with piles. I leave things lying around because "out of sight, is out of mind", so anything that still needs attention will be forgotten if there isn't some reference to it at my fingertips. I also find that ideas are triggered by making random connections between things and having a messy pile to paw through facilitates those kind of inspirations. So the mess surrounding me is a form of multitasking, my mind unconsciously processes all the data it can see. There is a trade-off, occasionally something gets lost in the shuffle.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Isn't it part of the NT profile to find the easiest way possible to solve a problem? A lot of it (from the outside) seems like laziness/pragmatism. "The easiest way to find my coat tomorrow is to leave it slung over the chair by the door. Problem solved. Why would I make more work for myself by opening the closet door and hanging it?"

That seems to the refrain of the messy/neat conversations in my life.

I have to say that, outside of abstract problem solving, the NTs in my life lack the ability to project themselves relationally/practically into the future. (i.e.: the relational strife caused by slovenliness ends up being a greater expenditure of energy than hanging the coat, they may not actually remember where they slung the coat when ADD kicks in, etc)