• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs, Motivation Issues?

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Odd quirk I'm beginning to notice with INTPs around me. Extreme thinkers, but when it comes time to actually get them to act on it - they shy away.

Anyone care to elaborate?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Odd quirk I'm beginning to notice with INTPs around me. Extreme thinkers, but when it comes time to actually get them to act on it - they shy away.

i know a young one--18--friend of the family. haha. he's a big talker. goes on and on in a very entertaining way about how he's gonna do some crazy "x,y,or z" but when the time rolls around, of course, he doesn't really do it. usually. sometimes he will, however, just enough to really keep me guessing. i adore him! he especially likes to tell me his ideas/stories, cuz i really dig hearing them. he is truly gifted in his mind, especially with making up shit and making it sound real by using perfect details (he doesn't miss a thing), and just the right mix of reality, etc. i can usually sniff out a lier pretty easily (or a storyteller), but he is one who can actually fool me. i never know when he's being serious or pulling my leg, cuz he could have done or seen or experienced said thing (and does some of the time). he is attracted by the zany and weird...anything......stories, events, people. but, no, he's not the best at planning. but pretty good at follow-through. wants to be a physician. we'll see.......

EDIT: i don't find him to be lazy at all, but maybe that's cuz i can appreciate how hard his mind is working. or maybe he's been conditioned in a good family to be productive regardless.

laughingebony

MBTI Type
INTP

We're lazy, maybe?

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
I can't speak for all those who self-identify as INTP, but I know that that failure to act is a problem for me.

I think this is the case because I'm constantly juggling a multitude different ideas, trying to relate them, systematize them, prioritize them in such a way that they take their proper place in an intelligible whole that can be stripped to its foundations, its irreducible parts, its most basic ideas, so that their essences and functions may be easily grapsed, relations defined, consequences drawn out, and the extent of their explanatory and predictive power made plain.

It's easy to be overwhelmed by the sheer enormousness and complexity of it all. Sometimes, I avoid thinking about it because I fear I've not the ability to make a valuable contribution to human understanding. Sometimes it merely looks like I'm inactive, but, in fact, my mind is quite busy ruminating over some idea.

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've always been good at thinking of things and beginning projects. However, acting out an idea or finishing a project are just things I struggle doing immensely.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Get them to act on what?

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
OP author: Read the INTP profile.
No. I will not read a report that has been made in hindsight. I want the real deal from first hand experience to form an average. People telling me first hand gives me what I need and it allows people to communicate.

Rather than some static and lifeless report.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY

Yup, that's why I'm systematically looking for someone who can call me on this and motivate me to act. Most of my current friends are horrible procrastinators as well though.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
That doesn't make sense at all.

Apparently, you just want to talk to people rather than receiving informed, researched information that is easily obtainable because your question is within the top three Q & As of every profile.

Either way, it's obviously up to you. I'm just trying to help.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

Apparently, you just want to talk to people rather than receiving informed, researched information that is easily obtainable because your question is within the top three Q & As of every profile.

You aren't doing a very good job when I've informed you otherwise. Come back when you can answer a question rather than acting as an authority.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
What he's suggesting is that you're asking other people to feed you information because you're too lazy to do the most remedial of research.

It is one of the most discussed traits of the INTP, so the question does seem a bit tiresome.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
What he's suggesting is that you're asking other people to feed you information because you're too lazy to do the most remedial of research.

It is one of the most discussed traits of the INTP, so the question does seem a bit tiresome.
In that case - what you are suggesting he is suggesting is wrong. I've done the research as far back as 2006 and turned up empty. This is not laziness, this is frustration. Now unless you have any other dumb clarifications you'd like handed to you, I suggest you walk away.

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

Seconded.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
In that case - what you are suggesting he is suggesting is wrong. I've done the research as far back as 2006 and turned up empty. This is not laziness, this is frustration. Now unless you have any other dumb clarifications you'd like handed to you, I suggest you walk away.

Why are you so angry and dismissive? If you have been researching the years worth of information from typists who have made it their job to collect a vast array of empirical data from subjects, what more do you think you'll get from 5 or 6 people on here?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If there's something I need to do that I believe is important in one way or another, I will do it and have no problem doing it.

If there is something people expect me to do, but I have no interests, nor believe I need to do it. I won't do it.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Why are you so angry and dismissive? If you have been researching the years worth of information from typists who have made it their job to collect a vast array of empirical data from subjects, what more do you think you'll get from 5 or 6 people on here?
It'll lack the shield of a middle man.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

um. i dunno. i see you're a doctor and all (or are you kidding?)....but i don't see what's wrong with the question. isn't that what a forum (this forum) is for? i didn't perceive any animosity in the question, but i'm not an nt obviously, so perhaps intps are a bit defensive about this personality trait, and react accordingly?

also, i've read pretty much every website and personality type description out there, and some of the books, as a lay person, and what i've found is some ambiguity surrounding the research that has been done regarding personality typing. i can't quote sources, but from what i've gathered keirsey, at least, is accused of being biased, and i feel this when i read him as well. not sure about myers-briggs, although i've heard criticisms of them.

isn't the starting point for a qualitative study to take it back to the original source? what harm is there in that? it doesn't mean you are dismissing the current data, it just means you desire a different method for collecting your information. there are so many ridiculous (and fun!) threads on here, that i wonder why this one incites so much animosity. are intps like hornets when you mess with their nest? :peepwall:

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
um. i dunno. i see you're a doctor and all (or are you kidding?)....but i don't see what's wrong with the question. isn't that what a forum (this forum) is for? i didn't perceive any animosity in the question, but i'm not an nt obviously, so perhaps intps are a bit defensive about this personality trait, and react accordingly?

also, i've read pretty much every website and personality type description out there, and some of the books, as a lay person, and what i've found is some ambiguity surrounding the research that has been done regarding personality typing. i can't quote sources, but from what i've gathered keirsey, at least, is accused of being biased, and i feel this when i read him as well. not sure about myers-briggs, although i've heard criticisms of them.

isn't the starting point for a qualitative study to take it back to the original source? what harm is there in that? it doesn't mean you are dismissing the current data, it just means you desire a different method for collecting your information. there are so many ridiculous (and fun!) threads on here, that i wonder why this one incites so much animosity. are intps like hornets when you mess with their nest? :peepwall:
INTPs are hornets when the nest is stirred. Not all of them, but a few rotten ones that make the nest look bad.