• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs, Motivation Issues?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTPs are hornets when the nest is stirred. Not all of them, but a few rotten ones that make the nest look bad.

well, in all fairness, is it an estp trait to use such harsh language? is that natural? my neighbor gf is an estp and she's very politically correct with her verbage.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
well, in all fairness, is it an estp trait to use such harsh language? is that natural? my neighbor gf is an estp and she's very politically correct with her verbage.
I am an extremely jaded ESTP and I'm unhealthy. Pay no attention.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
isn't the starting point for a qualitative study to take it back to the original source? what harm is there in that? it doesn't mean you are dismissing the current data, it just means you desire a different method for collecting your information. there are so many ridiculous (and fun!) threads on here, that i wonder why this one incites so much animosity. are intps like hornets when you mess with their nest? :peepwall:

Interesting. It's funny how things can be interpreted so differently. I thought Haight's suggestion was valid and helpful. He never said it wasn't a valid topic to discuss, only that the motivation was actually to have a discussion, not to get facts because the facts are already there. This laziness issue is asked quite often in the threads, and in general. And if you have read anything about xNTPs, you will see that repeating ourselves is not pleasurable.

I didn't even see an animosity at all, until FC3S got frustrated. Which words were the one that made you think there was animosity? This difference in interpretation is fascinating and is something that I would love to explore more at some point. Just not now. Too lazy. :wink:

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I am an extremely jaded ESTP and I'm unhealthy. Pay no attention.

Why do you think you are jaded and unhealthy?

I think xSTPs can be quite blunt and dismissive if they don't immediately get the answer they want. Or if they aren't immediately agreed with. They see things in black and white, while I see all shades of gray. I know I frustrate the hell out of my friends who just want a yes or no. And instead of saying that I should just answer the question at face value, they will angrily call me stupid or whatever they come up with. And then say something like "this conversation is OVER". Which makes me laugh at they way they think they have authority to make me stop talking. I would never call them jaded or unhealthy, though. They are quite wonderful people and that's the one thing that rubs me the wrong way.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

I think xSTPs can be quite blunt and dismissive if they don't immediately get the answer they want. Or if they aren't immediately agreed with. They see things in black and white, while I see all shades of gray. I know I frustrate the hell out of my friends who just want a yes or no. And instead of saying that I should just answer the question at face value, they will angrily call me stupid or whatever they come up with. And then say something like "this conversation is OVER". Which makes me laugh at they way they think they have authority to make me stop talking. I would never call them jaded or unhealthy, though. They are quite wonderful people and that's the one thing that rubs me the wrong way.
If you want that conversation earn my trust first.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
If you want that conversation earn my trust first.

:) This is the kind of response I expected.

When I see something like this, I automatically think you are challenging me and dismissing me. And the reason why I think this is because I don't know which part of my post you are replying to - the fact that xSTPs are short tempered in general, or the fact that you feel unhealthy specifically. If it's the first part, why should I earn your trust? Do you get where I am going with this? I would be offended because you came here asking to discuss an aspect of personality, but are unwilling to discuss your own type. And this is why xSTPs get frustrated with me - I think that if they just take the time to clarify specifically what they mean, it would be easier to get a yes or a no instead of follow up questions.

Either way, I am just making observations, not trying to incite anything. If you ever feel that you can trust me enough to talk, I am always here. If not, well, I am always here.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting. It's funny how things can be interpreted so differently. I thought Haight's suggestion was valid and helpful. He never said it wasn't a valid topic to discuss, only that the motivation was actually to have a discussion, not to get facts because the facts are already there.

well, to my mind this started a string of less-than-receptive posts:

Apparently, you just want to talk to people rather than receiving informed, researched information that is easily obtainable because your question is within the top three Q & As of every profile....--haight
i dunno, i read that as condescending and reactionary. but i do understand that he had just been rebuffed in the previous post by the fc3s in a rude manner, so fc3s probably had it coming to him. then aderack, smoothjet (?), and jeno (you) all made rather negative remarks, imo.

This laziness issue is asked quite often in the threads, and in general. And if you have read anything about xNTPs, you will see that repeating ourselves is not pleasurable.

can totally understand that. that's why i asked if that was a recurrent theme of frustration and henceforth, responses.

I didn't even see an animosity at all, until FC3S got frustrated. Which words were the one that made you think there was animosity? This difference in interpretation is fascinating and is something that I would love to explore more at some point. Just not now. Too lazy. :wink:

i mainly wanted to comment on the research pov. it is always preferrable, as far as i've learned, to go to original sources when you have a question, especially one that is not answered to your satisfaction by current 'research.' i think i've inadvertantly stumbled upon a sore spot for nt's? perhaps fc3s already knew this and was inciting y'all. but i hope my point stands on its own........

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
:) This is the kind of response I expected.

When I see something like this, I automatically think you are challenging me and dismissing me. And the reason why I think this is because I don't know which part of my post you are replying to - the fact that xSTPs are short tempered in general, or the fact that you feel unhealthy specifically. If it's the first part, why should I earn your trust? Do you get where I am going with this? I would be offended because you came here asking to discuss an aspect of personality, but are unwilling to discuss your own type. And this is why xSTPs get frustrated with me - I think that if they just take the time to clarify specifically what they mean, it would be easier to get a yes or a no instead of follow up questions.

Either way, I am just making observations, not trying to incite anything. If you ever feel that you can trust me enough to talk, I am always here. If not, well, I am always here.
If you wanted to discuss a part of ESTP personality I suggest you head over to the SP forum.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
well, to my mind this started a string of less-than-receptive posts:

i dunno, i read that as condescending and reactionary. but i do understand that he had just been rebuffed in the previous post by the fc3s in a rude manner, so fc3s probably had it coming to him. then aderack, smoothjet (?), and jeno (you) all made rather negative remarks, imo.

Up until now, I was just observing and questioning out of curiosity. He told someone to walk away, so I asked why he was upset.

can totally understand that. that's why i asked if that was a recurrent theme of frustration and henceforth, responses.

No frustration, until now. Just tired of repetition.

i mainly wanted to comment on the research pov. it is always preferrable, as far as i've learned, to go to original sources when you have a question, especially one that is not answered to your satisfaction by current 'research.' i think i've inadvertantly stumbled upon a sore spot for nt's? perhaps fc3s already knew this and was inciting y'all. but i hope my point stands on its own........

Again, no sore spot. But I think you'll continue to believe there's one regardless of what I say.

If you wanted to discuss a part of ESTP personality I suggest you head over to the SP forum.

:doh: Thank you for your suggestion, and I will withhold mine, lest it be construed as negative. Because it will be.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Interesting, what started as a rather uninteresting conversation about the motivation problems of INTP's quickly turned out the show the differences in communication between ST's and NT's.

My conclusion would be that this is probably more due to group-thinking then it is about the actual question. I mean, who cares if someone asks him about procrastination. I think most NT's are happy to spread even common knowledge, even if there was another way of getting to that information. I myself found it a very valid question, albeit one that wasn't particularly worth my thoughts.

Play nice now people. Don't make me call the judge, jury and executioner.

ygolo

My termites win
I think the lack of follow through problem is a myth.

INTPs are no less likely to follow through on a myriad of ideas than the other types on average.

When you have a lot to choose from, only a few things can actually be done. What people usually choose is what they are comfortable doing.

INTPs may be one of the more risk averse types, so what they follow through on, will tend be what they consider safe. This makes it seem like they are not following through on anything, but really what is happening is a choice of the safe and comfortable.

INTPs that I know, including myself, dream in vivid detail about humanity's future, and can express strong urges to take part in making that future become true. They may be more obsessed with this future than most people.

This may add to the image of someone who lacks follow through. People, in general, do not follow through on grand visions of the future of humanity. The difference may rather be the anount of time spent thinking and talking about these sorts of things.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I'm simply too awesome to bother with carrying out the fruition of my endlessly genius creations.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
My genius ideas are too awesome for me to ever be able to carry out.

Unique

Which is why he thinks he is unhealthy/jaded I believe

I happen to love my shades of grey personally

Also not sure if it means anything but FC3S also cared about an INTP having a messy house... Sorry FC3S dude but you don't seem chill like the rest of the ESTPs on here you seem kinda uptight, don't know... maybe you just need a holiday lol

Oh and as for INTPs not having follow through...

"All-in-all, they have extraordinary talents for getting things started. They are not usually so good at following through, and might leave those tasks to others. Mastering the art of following through is something which ESTPs should pay special attention to."

Straight from ESTP personality profile

Kinda pot calling the kettle black eh? Or are you a closet J? ;)

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Semi-related question:

Do any of the other on-the-job INTP's find themselves quite motivated at first, though suffer from burnout later on?

Most every job I've had I started out well and once I 'mastered' the routine the soul-crushing monotony would set in and I'd lose all work ethic and drive.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find myself to be extremely stress proof. I've worked roughly 6 days a week for 4 years now, at whatever hours. Dayshifts, nightshifts, 24/7 availability.

Through tough times as well as easier times. (I've made weeks of 120ish solid hours filled with nothing but annoying work, as well as weeks that were much more calm, easy going, 30-40 hour weeks.)

I've had two one-week vacations in the past 4 years and I can't remember ever taking a day off because I was feeling ill.

I feel healthy, energized. Most of the work is boring, burocracy. But some of the work is rewarding and I also find keeping up inter relations at work on healthy levels a very interesting concept. And often find myself letting TiNe loose on that.

As a result, I am extremely P when not working, and extremely J when working. I can recharge very quickly, and I have little to no issues shaking off frustrations. Although I try not to do that too much as to not loose perspective. But having that capability sure helps get the pressure off at the more annoying of times.

When it comes to my pet projects, my hobbies and such. I often don't feel like tapping into my J ability. Especially not if I don't find the pet project important enough. And indeed tend to just stop with them, quite often.

But I doubt I'll ever burn out.

Maybe because what I do is extremely versatile is what makes it much more easy on me though.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Odd quirk I'm beginning to notice with INTPs around me. Extreme thinkers, but when it comes time to actually get them to act on it - they shy away.

Anyone care to elaborate?

I've wrestled with this one all 47 years of my life. Once I've thought something to conclusion, or at least done a proof of concept, I tend to lose interest in seeing it through to completion. Is as though, once complete in my head, there is no reason to complete it elsewhere. I still see it as a major flaw in my psychological makeup and a big road block in the way of accomplishing things.

Over the years, I've seen that placing myself in high pressure situations where I have to perform takes care of the problem somewhat. It doesn't make it fun, that's for sure ... but at least I follow through and finish what I started. The military was a great pressure cooker for follow through ... as is my job in Corporate Amerika. I just wish I could generate similar follow through during my time off and with my personal projects.

On a side note, ritalin does help. My doctor prescribed it for me to counter drowsiness from another medication I take for Tourettes. Fortunately, it makes it easier for me to follow through with some of the mundane details of things. I actually want to do so.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ive heard that older INTPs are extremely good at following through on ideas. a bit like a fun loving INTJ (i know i know hard to imagine but u guys seem to have good imaginations!)

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Ive heard that older INTPs are extremely good at following through on ideas. a bit like a fun loving INTJ (i know i know hard to imagine but u guys seem to have good imaginations!)

I'd like to think that is true for me, but I seem to have had more motivation to follow through in my younger days ... particularly in my 20's. Perhaps it has to do with energy levels and my environment at that time. My present environment makes it very easy to become complacent and just drift. I have no problems with follow through at work, paying bills, etc. ... but the rest of my life could use an energy boost. Then again, maybe I'm just trying to fit in too much.