• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] BEST Critic: INTJ or INTP?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thus, ultimately answering who is the best critic depends on the criterion of what constitutes the best critic.

I already made this point a couple pages back. Unfortunately the answer is not exactly the point of the thread.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
So, hands up who reckons MBTI can be used prescriptively.

Much as I hate to say it, a question like the one starting this thread, with an actual application waiting in the wings, comes down to the person and their product, not the type and their type.

Don't ya think so?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The natural promoter is the ESTP.

Also, if you don't understand how Ne plays a huge role in critiquing and analyzing, that proves my point exactly. Ti is precise, without a doubt, but INTPs are too single minded to notice if there is a deeper meaning than what is just presented and obvious.

It's true that Ne can be very useful to an analysis. But Ti essentially is analysis. Making TiNe ideal.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY

Much as I hate to say it, a question like the one starting this thread, with an actual application waiting in the wings, comes down to the person and their product, not the type and their type.

Don't ya think so?

I think a poll on the subject would give an 'objective' answer.

Or maybe it'll just show how many INTP's there are compared to INTJ's as most of the people in this thread seem to simply defend their own type. Good example of group thinking though.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
It's true that Ne can be very useful to an analysis. But Ti essentially is analysis. Making TiNe ideal.

Well, I agree that an Ne and Ti combo is ideal, and I think the quality of analysis coming from an xNTP depends on experience, so I can't say if E or I is truly more objective. I just know I would choose either one over an Ni Te combo any day, especially if Fi is involved.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTJs will be prone to injecting too much of themselves and will approach the subject as it relates to purpose. INTPs will just analyze it for what it is, which will lead to more accurate criticism.

Edit: It follows that if you need the criticism to change the course of a project, then the INTJ would be preferable.

Yup. "Best" critic is determined by the parameters of what needs to be accomplished. If you want an overall nuanced assessment of the nature of the item in question (or even broad strategy), go for INTP... the goal is to convey an accurate understanding/description of the item in question and how all the parts weigh against and interact with each other; if you want a practical assessment geared towards achieving a particular outcome or know how to realistically apply knowledge towards a goal, I would choose INTJ.)

It's basically the difference between being "open-ended" (comprehensive knowledge for sake of accurate understanding) vs "closure-oriented" (ingenuous application of knowledge to accomplish a particular goal).

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ

A poll of whom? Encyclopedia article writers? They may perhaps be a tad pissed off if one didn't instead look over their portfolios.

We've all been played.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
A poll of whom? Encyclopedia article writers? They may perhaps be a tad pissed off if one didn't instead look over their portfolios.

We've all been played.

I was thinking of a poll in this thread whether other forum members thought INTJ's or INTP's were more suitable. In the interest of fairness there would obviously also be options for the other types as they tended to defend their own type rather then choose one of the two in the thread title.

But all this has just been blown into the hypothetical world.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
This discussion is a travesty.

It is one thing to discuss the abstract qualities of a function, it is another to describe those qualities, again abstractly, as they would work in action on a given problem, and it is grossly and wildly another thing all together to place that description ahead of the actual functioning of a human being abroad in the world.

The people come first. The description comes second.

Afkan

Don't ya think so?
Yes. But I like to have an idea ready in my brain. I know that's a little rigid, but that's who I am.

Afkan

Or maybe it'll just show how many INTP's there are compared to INTJ's as most of the people in this thread seem to simply defend their own type. Good example of group thinking though.

I would love to make a poll. I wanted to also give back to the forum though, after I mend some of my time management problems. I mean everyone has given great answers. I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing such a topic. Its intellectually stimulating.

Afkan

I was thinking of a poll in this thread whether other forum members thought INTJ's or INTP's were more suitable. In the interest of fairness there would obviously also be options for the other types as they tended to defend their own type rather then choose one of the two in the thread title.

But all this has just been blown into the hypothetical world.

I would be the one to create that poll, right?

Afkan

This discussion is a travesty.

It is one thing to discuss the abstract qualities of a function, it is another to describe those qualities, again abstractly, as they would work in action on a given problem, and it is grossly and wildly another thing all together to place that description ahead of the actual functioning of a human being abroad in the world.

The people come first. The description comes second.

Is any discussion a travesty?
You are right, objectifying by type is not an extremely kind thing to do.
If someone's feelings are hurt, though, because someone is having an intellectual discussion, then I don't know what to say.

What I like about type is that it does reduce human beings into more of a "number." and then we put those numbers back into the equation of life.

Yes, this can be hurtful. But the process is a lot quicker than, say, discussing such a topic without classifications for people. There are so many different kinds of people in this world, and if there is a way to remember all of the info that we process from day to day about those people better by assigning 1 of 16 types, then i'm all for it. Yes it is not all inclusive but better than nothing.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Can you explain further? I don't understand what you wrote.

Perceivers will understand the situation better, but tend to have poorer judgement in their selection of what to say. Judgers will select the right things to say, but with a less true to reality image to start with.

Both INTP and INTJ take reasonably detached perspectives, so that part was just saying if you don't connect with the piece of art and instead analyse it as a science system, what you write isn't worth squat. With most art there is no truly objective way to judge it. Music is judged with the ears, paintings are judged with the eyes. If you just have to fit a list to be good, the idea of creativity and art is gone.

I'm not sure what sort of critic you are talking though. For science stuff INTP hands down, no one else is anywhere near as thorough and uncompromising.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Perceivers will understand the situation better, but tend to have poorer judgement in their selection of what to say. Judgers will select the right things to say, but with a less true to reality image to start with.

Unless they're older and more experienced.

See how the person comes before the type here? The attributes the person brings to their type will make maybe even substantial differences to real life outcomes.

What the hell is wrong with you people?!

I'm not sure what sort of critic you are talking though. For science stuff INTP hands down, no one else is anywhere near as thorough and uncompromising.

How about an ENFP with a science degree and a mission to fulfil in, say, whatever human rights issue is raised by the topic needing criticism, and who doesn't want to take any polemic shortcuts in being right about that topic?

Afkan

Unless they're older and more experienced.

See how the person comes before the type here? The attributes the person brings to their type will make maybe even substantial differences to real life outcomes.

What the hell is wrong with you people?!

How about an ENFP with a science degree and a mission to fulfil in, say, whatever human rights issue is raised by the topic needing criticism, and who doesn't want to take any polemic shortcuts in being right about that topic?

If you don't mind me asking, why are you so upset? What in this thread has hurt your feelings so much?

I really don't know that I can appreciate you attacking all "you people" who have put time and thought into crafting responses to this thread.