• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Cut the rope? NT only

Do you cut off the rope? NTs only please

• Cut off the rope

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • Stay on the rope

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How'd you be able to tell that it'd break after a minute? And how do you know that it can only take four people? That seems oddly specific. You could cut yourself off and it could still break due to your crappy estimations. And if you're the fifth person, wouldn't you be close enough to the ground that you wouldn't necessarily die on contact? Especially considering you said "more than a minute", implying that you'd just climbed onto the ladder, or you'd be on for longer than a minute and it wouldn't matter.

I'd just drop to the ground until one person had reached the helicopter, and then get on the ladder. I can't imagine I'd die from cold waiting for one person to climb on the helicopter, because then we'd all die from the cold while waiting for everyone to climb up.

Holy Moley! What is wrong with you people?!

You call yourself N's? Dont take it so literally. The entire story is just a frame for the moral question thatguy was trying to ask.

How do you know it can take only 4 people? You just do! Why you know is irrelevant when answering the question.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You call yourself N's? Dont take it so literally. The entire story is just a frame for the moral question thatguy was trying to ask.

How do you know it can take only 4 people? You just do! Why you know is irrelevant when answering the question.

Read this again:

My other rationale here: I see this question has been cross-posted in all the other MBTI archetype forums. Maybe my response is a more NT response -- do NTs typically meta-explore the question rather than just answering it like some other archetypes might?

If you're interested in archetype responses, then when pretty much all the NTs you ask -- instead of answering the question -- either challenge its premises OR say "I have issues with this question, but I guess I'd do <this>"...

... maybe this is telling you what you wanted to know about NTs all along, compared to other types. It just gives you an answer you weren't expecting.

You call yourself N's? Dont take it so literally.

Actually, look outside the given question with your N and see the pattern here. What's it say about NTs vs NFs or others?

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Well the answer is obvious. Unless you have a grudge against the rest of them, you sacrifice yourself. It's predictable and dull. I'm not really interested in the answer.

The question, however, is fun to pick apart. So I chose to do that instead.

Besides, you see something that doesn't make sense and you don't get the inclination to pick it apart? Are you sure you're a T? ;)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

The problem is the question is pointless. Noone wants everyone to die and therfore the only logical result is to cut off the pope.

The last thing possible tho would be, you could catch one guy and throw him down to death instead. But well yeah, that would be evil :devil:

Qre:us

Thank you!

NTs only please. there is one like this in your section too

you are being rescued from an icy mountain with 4 other trapped climbers. the helicopter can't land so it lowered a rope ladder. 5 of you hanging on the ladder with you being the very last one hanging on to the rope ladder.

you see the rope is under stress since and it WILL break if more than 4 people hold on for more than a minute. you being the last one, do you cut off the rope so the other 4 can live or do you stay on...if you are gonna die, so does everyone else.

whats YOUR reason for cutting off the rope ladder or staying on it

Depends on kinship.

If I don't know them, then, I would not cut the rope....my will to live (the 0.000001% probability) that we *all* might live (esp. ME) will outbid any sense of greater altruism at the cost of my own suicide. I'm a fighter until the end...esp. for my own life.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Read this again:

If you're interested in archetype responses, then when pretty much all the NTs you ask -- instead of answering the question -- either challenge its premises OR say "I have issues with this question, but I guess I'd do <this>"...

... maybe this is telling you what you wanted to know about NTs all along, compared to other types. It just gives you an answer you weren't expecting.

Actually, look outside the given question with your N and see the pattern here. What's it say about NTs vs NFs or others?

I realise that we have learnt something about how the differenent temperaments answer theoretical questions. And thats great. But that wasnt the goal of the question, which was obviously meant to question our value systems.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
And if you're the fifth person, wouldn't you be close enough to the ground that you wouldn't necessarily die on contact? Especially considering you said "more than a minute", implying that you'd just climbed onto the ladder, or you'd be on for longer than a minute and it wouldn't matter.

indeed

but if you get left behind, its a sure death since there is no more choppers coming back. you cant stay on the mountain for an extended period else there would be no need for a group rescue

I'd just drop to the ground until one person had reached the helicopter, and then get on the ladder. I can't imagine I'd die from cold waiting for one person to climb on the helicopter, because then we'd all die from the cold while waiting for everyone to climb up.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
indeed

but if you get left behind, its a sure death since there is no more choppers coming back. you cant stay on the mountain for an extended period else there would be no need for a group rescue

Why'd the chopper leave at all? If you said that the capacity of the helicopter could only hold four people, that'd make sense. But you said the rope couldn't hold more than four. Which implies that if someone else climbed up, you could safely get all five into the helicopter before it leaves.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I realise that we have learnt something about how the differenent temperaments answer theoretical question. And thats great. But that wasnt the goal of the question, which was obviously meant to question our value systems.

How can you possibly know this?

And even if it is true, if it's a hypothetical question, then expect further investigation - which is the point of a hypothesis.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Simple: Grab the ankle of the person above me and sink my teeth in so they let go out of shock. Fly away to safety. Problem solved.

:)

Simple: Grab the ankle of the person above me and sink my teeth in so they let go out of shock. Fly away to safety. Problem solved.

:)

I thought that, but, then I didn't want to appear ruthless....but anything to survive, right? :D

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How can you possibly know this?

And even if it is true, if it's a hypothetical question, then expect further investigation - which is the point of a hypothesis.

It just seems obvious to me. What else would be the point of the question? :huh:

Further investigation is good. Pointing out the various holes in thisguy's scenario is unhelpful and pointless.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Why'd the chopper leave at all? If you said that the capacity of the helicopter could only hold four people, that'd make sense. But you said the rope couldn't hold more than four. Which implies that if someone else climbed up, you could safely get all five into the helicopter before it leaves.

very good :D

but for the fun of it, lets say the weather is worsening, or the guy at the very top of the rope passed out...take your pick

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I thought that, but, then I didn't want to appear ruthless....but anything to survive, right? :D

Indeed, but if it helps; Should the scenario ever occur I’d hope you were two people above me and had undelicious ankles.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
As the initial question has been debunked enough I will stick to actually answering it the way it was supposed to be answered.

Cutting the rope, or letting five people die are not win-win situations. I would most likely think about the situation then and there, until I came up with either a better answer or until the five of us plummeted to our unfortunate deaths.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
very good :D

but for the fun of it, lets say the weather is worsening, or the guy at the very top of the rope passed out...take your pick

Problem solved. If he passed out, then it's quite likely he'll have fallen, and the other people can't really help him without letting go of the rope themselves, so at least one person by this point would've fallen from the ladder. Which means yay me, I don't have to die. :D

Indeed, but if it helps; Should the scenario ever occur I’d hope you were two people above me and had undelicious ankles.

I've never had a pedicure and my bunions have learned to sing!

* although, mathematically, I don't understand why there couldn't be turns to the peeps going up the ladder, like 2 at a time, reach heli, then 2 more, then 1, or, 3 at a time, reach heli, then 2 more, or 4 at a time, reach heli, then 1 more, etc, etc....but, from a moral imperative...MY LIFE IS THE AWSOMEST...and I'll be the last to call myself out as a sacrifice!

G

garbage

Well, I'm gonna die anyway.

So it's a matter of whether I want some company in the interim, or if I want to be noble and allow others to survive.

I'll be noble. And lonely :cry:

^ When the heck did you become an ENTP?:shock:

(never mind...gotcha...'changin type every day')