• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INTP and Sociopath

Eye-In-TiPi

MBTI Type
INTP
Interesting stuff. I've wondered about this myself many times. I must admit that some of the criteria in the list fit, but the really important ones did not. Cold and unemotional - yes, most of the time. Charming and manipulative - definitely not. Unremorseful and lacking empathy - nope. From the description, I would guess that any MBTI type could be a sociopath - some better than others maybe. I found a couple of interesting articles here and here on the subject. There's even a checklist on the 2nd one. It could be more accurate to say that INTP's might be the type most likely to be mistaken for, or even misdiagnosed as, a sociopath. That's just my 2 cents, and it might not even be worth that, but you better just agree with me or I will hunt you down like an animal and...

Oso Mocoso

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I have only ever been accused of being a sociopath once, and it was by a seventeen year old girl who was angry with me for disagreeing with her about gun control. I'm fairly introspective about issues of right/wrong and I'm not manipulative at all. I have not been in a fight with anyone since my early schoolyard days.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I've been accused of being a sociopath or having antisocial personality disorder many times, but I have a feeling that these were from people who either don't know me very well.

I have a policy of letting the emotions and empathy come as it does rather than forcing it. They usually come on an inconsistent basis -- if I don't have any today, don't expect any, because I'm not creating any artificial empathy just for you. Aside from this decision not to 'force' them, I can be quite emotional but just suck at expressing them.

This coupled with the fact that I don't know if I'm ever lying or telling the truth really would make me look like a sociopath to some people.

Bear Warp

MBTI Type
epyT
I've never been called a sociopath or antisocial, but I have been told that I look like a serial killer (as if there is such thing as a generic serial killer look). Probably the harsh look I put on whenever I'm thinking hard or concentrating.

unityemissions

MBTI Type
INFP
As for sociopath or psychopath... those are about the most serious diagnoses one can hear. (as in f'n serial killer) Definitely not to be bandied about lightly! I would venture to say that anyone irl calling me that would either get a slap in the mouth or a verbal beating they wouldn't soon forget.

Suffice to say, IMO, unless they're a doctor or the person has shared that intimate information with them, anyone using mental/emotional illness terms referring to another human being is just showing their own ignorance, illiteracy and inflated sense of self-worth... egocentric in the extreme!.. not to mention rude, crude, insulting, insensitive b*strd behavior that really should carry the consequence of them winding up on the f'n floor. :steam:

Edit: I'll take profanity any day over namecalling.:steam:

Approximately 1/25 or 4% of the population is a sociopath. You meet them all the time and only a small portion of them, usually the less bright, go onto commit serious crimes.

I am not a doctor, but have had two friends that I got to know for a while and was able to discern were sociopath's. It's got nothing to do with being egocentric, it's got to do with discerning between evil selfish pricks and your run of the mill morons.

Bear Warp

MBTI Type
epyT
A description of an INTP will sound more similar to a description of a schizoid than that of a sociopath.

Last edited:

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
I've been accused of being a sociopath or having antisocial personality disorder many times, but I have a feeling that these were from people who either don't know me very well.

That's terrible, especially given you're so young. Somebody more sensitive and suggestible than you might end up living down to the expectations. There have been studies proving the harm of negative labels, especially when kids are labeled. It's a good thing you have such a strong personality.

rank

I am observing what ENTJs do to people.

They tend to torture them to the point when they need treatment. ENTJs are usually very poor judge of character (especially in emotional matters). They always need to assume responsibility and the desire to lead and to know - causes them to break everybody around them.

It is like House MD. He may be successful on paper, but his methods are constantly breaking the mental state of everyone around him. On the long run his contribution is probably negative, because so many people are subtly influenced for the worse.

ENTJs are like a drug of guilt. Because they manage to know (or organize) a dirty story about anyone in their circle, they keep all the others dependant. And at the same time accuse them of being weak and stupid.

Of course, it's not all black and white. ENTJs are competent, bring the latest trends, and when they lead, they usually bring the crowd to final success. The question is how negatively is the crowd influenced during this process.

In their worst moments, INTPs are also capable of creating sociopaths out of ordinary people. Not that INTPs are ever the bad guys, but they think such unimaginably negative things about others, that their reactions are shocking and can cause healthy people to go mad. The thing is, most people have some sorts of idealized images that guide them. INTPs and ENTJs tend to break those ideals to pieces, and if they are too harsh, they can produce disorders where there weren't any.

Another sociopath-producer is the ESFJ. They are too sexual, and treat every person as meat of value or not. They are shallow, but still capable masters of subconscious accusations and personal attacks.

In summary, I think sociopaths are the victims of indirect aggressive communication - by analogy, by quotes, by misinterpretation, manipulation etc.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I definitely think if an INTP gets far enough away mentally and physically from society, it's easier for them to develop sociopath traits. Sociopathy usually is when someone violates the rights of others and has no remorse, however INTPs are more likely to be schizoids or have Aspergers and not have an interest in controlling or using others.

Most sociopaths are probably ESTPs... just a guess.

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
I think I've only ever known one INFJ with ASPD. And boy did she have it bad. She basi-
cally did not care other people did not have the time or energy to carry her through life
and make her desicions for her and be available at a moment's notice to go out even if
she didn't plan on paying attention for them because she wanted to impress her new fr-
iends that were jerks by showing them how many people she could decieve into kissing
her butt and protecting her and she'd lie about it even if they plausibly heard her dropp-
ing hints. And she'd enjoy other people wondering why they were so nervous or distra-
ctable when they knew no one would believe them and did little things to antagonize th-
em and make it worse and did not care that sometimes these people would be having to
hide that they were shaking around her or losing sleep because she was running them
ragged and competing with their personal belongings so they wouldn't want things she
knew they enjoyed anymore, pit people's friends against each other and broke up relatio-
nships (between peoples families included) because she thought it was funny. no one
caught on until she started begging for help requiring peoples skills, interests and abilities
she made fun of them for and told them other people laughed at them for. People wo-
uld even take her on vacations and she'd find a way to center things around herself, but
if someone told her she needed to get her shit together she'd say she was normal and it
was a good thing to be superior to everybody else.

sculpting

My thought is that the personality disorders can likely be back traced to MBTI types pretty easily if you look at the absolute worst case scenario of a person's development and what might happen to thier type under the utter worst conditions.

When there life goes really badly thier natural type adapts/warps/twists in odd ways to handle this-and you end up with personality disorders. This actually might be a better thing to study/understand than the utter cluster that seems to describe the personality disorders right now. Totally my thoughts though so likely full of crap in a huge way.

My guesses:
ENFP-borderline personality/maybe histornic tendancies
ENTP-Compensetory narcissism
ESTP-Narcissism and sociopathic tendancies
ISTP-Antisocial and sociopathic tendancies
ESFP-histronic????

I think INTPs would be more likely to be Avoidant and maybe schizoid but I have read so, so ,so little that I need to read a lot more. Not true sociopathic at all though...

Likely when poeple say this crap though, they just dont get or understand what being an INTP means and they just see different. I have lots of you guys around and, while odd, (like I am one to talk), you guys have a lot of awesome qualities.

My favorite INTP was about as enthusiastic as an INTP gets when I showed him the MBTI profile of an INTP.

He said he felt like he was part of an alien race that had been moved to this planet and survived but was mixed up with lots of other aliens. He said it made him glad not to be alone.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I think I could be sociopathic. People are scared for their lives when I go arround with my hands in my pockets. I'm "MOSTLY" harmless.

R

Riva

There is one INFP who thinks that I am a sociopath, supposedly because I dont show any emotion and seem very unsociable. According to my INTJ friend/his wife. I told her that it would make more sense if he meant by 'anti-social', that i'm unsociable, rather than that I'm a sociopath. But no..she insisted that he meant that I'm a sociopath..

Rather odd...I think the real reason has nothign to do with my INTPish behavior and everything to do with how I stood him off when we first met..I thought he was being overly accomodating..and I was in my neurotic Ti phase..he musnt have appreciated my challenging and critical remarks i started off our discussion with..by which i of course meant no harm..thats just part and parcel of my analytical approach to life..but i bet he took it personally..

I'd say STPs are a better fit for the sociopath archetype. The folks who are resolute on appeasing their desires in a very dispassionate fashion, the pestilence of which knows no end because their are desires can be moved on whim..on mere impulse..

ESTP is the best fit of all, I'd say..the most impulsive and the least aware of how their actions impact others because of their inferior N..ISTPs, though with a lower F, tend to be more reflective (I), and more perceptive..yet one can hardly avoid associating the neurotic ESTP caricature with a rogue archetype..

gosh i learn a lot of English reading your posts. i always always menage to lean atleast one new English word by reading your each one of your posts.

yes i think ESTPs are the most dangerous of all because they have no CLUE AT ALL what they are doing about. a lot of other types think that ESTPs are so cool because they are so confident in their actions. i think this is extremely incorrect. ESTPs APPEAR to be confident. i think this is thanks to their Se.

THEY LOOK CONFIDENT.

they really don't even know how to explore and dig into their own strengths. yes they have confident in their skills, but they can't predict the results of their actions. a significant difference from ENTJs.

but i think ISTPs are the least sociable og all types. yes they have a better understanding of their actions than ESTPs. but i think they are the least sociable. it's as if they think in their heads and put limitations in their own heads and come to the conclusion that they are sociopaths.

on the otherhand ESTPs don't have the patience to think and come to this type of a conclusion.

L

Lasting_Pain

Consider myself to be more of a anti-social and a schizoid.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
I almost told my INTP roommate the same thing the other day. I had invited him to the Flyers Play-Off Game with me. They lost and he was mad, but he was trying to make the most of it, so we got some beer and were waiting for the traffic to clear. All of the sudden he decides HE wants to leave. He was rushing me so much that I handed him my keys and told him he could take off by himself if he wanted to since I was still drinking. Well, no, that just won't do, cause he never drives anywhere. So, he takes my beer from me and chugs it. Then, he gets in my car and I'm trying to down some water (hydration, yay) and he grabs it and throws it out the window. Now ok, I get that he is probably drunk and probably just being playful, but that irritated me. Later, we get home and he asks me to get out of my own car to drop him off at the house giving me no other option but to unapologetically point out that he is a selfish, inconsiderate ass who only looks out for himself.

It's difficult because on the one hand I want to believe that he will experience remorse for taking advantage of my good nature (on more than one occasion). But, on the other hand, I wonder if he really cares at all. Can't tell if it's really simply personality or if there is an inordinate amount of dysfunction involved.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I almost told my INTP roommate the same thing the other day. I had invited him to the Flyers Play-Off Game with me. They lost and he was mad, but he was trying to make the most of it, so we got some beer and were waiting for the traffic to clear. All of the sudden he decides HE wants to leave. He was rushing me so much that I handed him my keys and told him he could take off by himself if he wanted to since I was still drinking. Well, no, that just won't do, cause he never drives anywhere. So, he takes my beer from me and chugs it. Then, he gets in my car and I'm trying to down some water (hydration, yay) and he grabs it and throws it out the window. Now ok, I get that he is probably drunk and probably just being playful, but that irritated me. Later, we get home and he asks me to get out of my own car to drop him off at the house giving me no other option but to unapologetically point out that he is a selfish, inconsiderate ass who only looks out for himself.

It's difficult because on the one hand I want to believe that he will experience remorse for taking advantage of my good nature (on more than one occasion). But, on the other hand, I wonder if he really cares at all. Can't tell if it's really simply personality or if there is an inordinate amount of dysfunction involved.

Sounds like the guy has big issues. This isn't normal and I haven't met an INTP who would do something like that. You should have called him on it sooner.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Sounds like the guy has big issues. This isn't normal and I haven't met an INTP who would do something like that. You should have called him on it sooner.

Well, that's good to know. Oddly enough, I said that and he was like "yeah, that's true." So, what do you do with someone who candidly admits to being self-centered and focused? Stay away from them? Then who will love them!?!?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Why do women go out with assholes?

(sorry, couldn't resist it.)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, that's good to know. Oddly enough, I said that and he was like "yeah, that's true." So, what do you do with someone who candidly admits to being self-centered and focused? Stay away from them? Then who will love them!?!?

Their mothers.

That's probably what caused the problem ITFP. ;)