• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and the Split Self

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
I am writing a thesis on Love, and I'd appreciate any input from NTs regarding the notion of the Split Self.

It is already halfway present in Keirsey where he portrays the NT as split between a silent public figure, commited to technological progress and a more lagresse-oriented privat person.

(NTs in Keirseys view needs an NF to bring out the latter.)

That's just one example.

Another is the doctrine of Machiavelli (NT) who says that men are different in the plaza from what they are like in the palance.

I have other examples, but I would like you to freely brainstorm and contribute to this theme, if you have anything to add.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
You're only describing the "try-hard" NTs, such as machievelli. Mark Twain once said if you never tell a lie, you never have to remember anything :)

If Aristotle is right, the path of virtue will be the choice of the wise person who also wants to be blessed with laziness and plenty of free time :) Sometimes the motivation towards good is selfish, it needn't be illicited by an NF.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
One of my favorite quotes is from The Scarlet Letter - "No man for any considerable period can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true."

Jokes aside, the part in the movie The Mask where Ben Stein is saying that everyone wears masks is the Gods honest truth. I think everyone has the persona that they wear on the outside that covers most of what goes on internally. By doing this, we probably even confuse ourselves. Is one of those ideas of 'self' inaccurate? Or is it that they make up the whole, together in a kind of yin/yang balance where one cannot exist without the other?

P.S. I don't think its an 'NT' thing, but a human thing.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
i think the perspective you are looking for is best looked at in those threads about falling in love in the relationship section

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
What of the fact that one can also simply show different sides of themselves to the public from those in their personal lives? If you're defining what my inner self would do as my 'true' self, you'd actually have a childlike dreamer with a penchant for rambles about the history of aviation and talking really, really fast when I get into a topic sometimes... and then one that switches gears to an absolutely earnest expression of self when we get into any topic that deserves a certain gravitas.

Those two (out of many) facets of me do not do well in the general public. Sometimes I do not wish to deal with the annoyance of others taking excitement as immaturity, or the fact that I don't tolerate all that much avoidance or BS'ing from others if they want to participate in a real discussion with me.

I suppose all I'm saying is that... everyone has their reasons, but having two sides would be far too two-dimensional for many I know. You could perhaps expand your thesis or narrow down the parameters so it fits what you're really talking about?

P.S. I don't know which aspect you're actually talking about, unless the majority of the people ye're referring to really do have two distinct sides or versions of themselves they do or do not show others.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
What of the fact that one can also simply show different sides of themselves to the public from those in their personal lives? If you're defining what my inner self would do as my 'true' self, you'd actually have a childlike dreamer with a penchant for rambles about the history of aviation and talking really, really fast when I get into a topic sometimes... and then one that switches gears to an absolutely earnest expression of self when we get into any topic that deserves a certain gravitas.

Those two (out of many) facets of me do not do well in the general public. Sometimes I do not wish to deal with the annoyance of others taking excitement as immaturity, or the fact that I don't tolerate all that much avoidance or BS'ing from others if they want to participate in a real discussion with me.

I suppose all I'm saying is that... everyone has their reasons, but having two sides would be far too two-dimensional for many I know. You could perhaps expand your thesis or narrow down the parameters so it fits what you're really talking about?

P.S. I don't know which aspect you're actually talking about, unless the majority of the people ye're referring to really do have two distinct sides or versions of themselves they do or do not show others.

I agree with this post. I think NTs show different aspects of their personality to different people. They're all part of themselves, but different people bring out different aspects. It's the chameleon effect that we've discussed before. I could see a stoic NT having a silly side at home, etc., but I don't think there's a Public Mask and a Private Mask.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
gimme a synopsis of the split self.
i googled it but it was just a bunch of links to an article on marital infidelity.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
It is already halfway present in Keirsey where he portrays the NT as split between a silent public figure, commited to technological progress and a more lagresse-oriented privat person.

I recently came to this conclusion myself and am now trying to exploit that knowledge now. I have an entirely different attitude towards things when I'm out of the house. Much more open to other people, more interested in other peoples emotions and feelings towards me. I might even refrain from sarcasm and apathy.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I definitely behave differently in private, than in public. For instance, I don't pee in public. But this does not mean that I have a split personality.

Can the OP elaborate more about the intended meaning?

DAZ89

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think everyone has that 'split'. For one think, it's called shadow functions.

But anyways, every MBTI type is basically a template for how everyone copes/survives/makes sense of the world. The NT temperament is hardly alone in having splits in their persona. We all have that raw edge that we hide / overcome / develop with what we're most comfortable using.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
My dragon slaying ego is my internet alter ego. I am completely different in person. A little strange maybe, but not dragon slaying.

I'm going to be rude and ignore you. This forum makes me too paranoid.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with this post. I think NTs show different aspects of their personality to different people. They're all part of themselves, but different people bring out different aspects. It's the chameleon effect that we've discussed before. I could see a stoic NT having a silly side at home, etc., but I don't think there's a Public Mask and a Private Mask.

I think some people can be binary -- but yes, usually it's multiple facets, not just two. And not all of it's purposeful, the chameleon effect is in play. NTPs (and other P's) can be extremely flexy in changing to accommodate situations, and personal comfort / social anxiety / self-worth concepts play also into what someone is willing to reveal to what sphere.

My dragon slaying ego is my internet alter ego. I am completely different in person. A little strange maybe, but not dragon slaying.

I'm going to be rude and ignore you. This forum makes me too paranoid.

we know you're not really THIS silly. ;)

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Shrug. I think I got the gist of the OP's message.

I've always envisioned myself into become the most perfectly compassionate and understanding human being in the 'perfect relationship.'

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
Lol...I am an ENTJ intellectually and when it comes to my goals but when
it comes to social things and stuff I am often mistaken for ESTP or ESFJ.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
What do you think the synthesis of these two faces of the self would look like? Would it be them acting at the same time, or would it be a melding of both into one?

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
I fake being emotional at sometimes. I physicaly FORCE myself to smile at apropriate times, ect.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Go looking around the NF forum. Don't read the enneagram books if you want paralells, because they say that the best type for anyone is a healthy person of any type. As amargith said: "INTPs are all just romantic softies". :steamed:, damnit, she's accurate! We exude a vibe to the world that makes us seem like little serial killers, but we just don't want to waste energy on useless conversations, and faking anger is effective at that. In private, we're much softer, and actually have emotions :horror:.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I think I have the same split, but in reverse. The public is made private, and private is made public.