• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs: stop saying emotions are irrational

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Tell us about the emotion that drove you to make this demand.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Emotions can be a type of information in a similar way that physical pain is information. Is physical pain or the response to pain rational? Pain provides the body with information about the outside world and is often accompanied by a reflex to respond. In some ways one could argue that the experience of physical pain is more direct and less subjective than emotional pain which is based more on perception and interpretation. What is interesting about the question of physical pain is that it is not entirely without distortions resulting from perception and interpretation.

Emotional signals can be more easily misapplied in relationship to the outside world than physical pain signals, but I'm not convinced there is stark dividing line. The system is perhaps more complex, and it takes more time to understand the input, output, and manner in which these are connected, but I suggest it is far more consistent than appearances might suggest. It is just an incredibly complex system, and it is processed a bit differently with each individual, so that it requires an investment of time to understand how it works. I can see why that might not be considered rational when viewed from the inside out, but to observe from the outside and understand any system seems like an rational endeavor to me. I'm not sure how it is different than observing and understanding how the immune system works or the mating rituals of buffalo, except that it is a system that can potentially observe itself.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Not irrational, subjective.
Agreed; I didn't like the phrasing of the original statement.

To the OP: can't account for feelings. Can account for resulting behavior.

actually ur both wrong.
Reason is just subjectivity with a higher degree of efficiency and metacognitive conscious control over it.
It's like quantum physics, you know carbon 14 decay rate but you don't know exactly what atom desintegrates.
So ofc evolution and the computational nature of the brain will make it seem like real 'objectivity'. This effect is highly enhanced by the fact all human brains are basically the same, so we'll all agree on what 'logic is'. But as things get more complex than 1+1 our points of views differs and if we ever meet some intelligent alien species their views of reality could be quite different.

In a world where facts are subjective views imposed by our perception of the said world, you cannot get real objectivity. To have objectivity you need things, and things are artificial constructs made up by the mind.

squibbles

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't think emotions are either rational or irrational; I think they're more arational. If that's a word.

If someone gets a nice present for their birthday, then they feel loved. That emotion logically follows.

If someone stays in an abusive relationship because they are convinced the other party really loves them, then their feelings of loyalty don't logically follow.

Emotions are purely biological and, in my opinion, only happen to coincide with rationality or irrationality. I don't think this means emotions aren't valuable, though. They motivate, they color life. I think they're just as valuable as thought, just in a very different way.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:hug: Kant, you rule :D

actually ur both wrong.
Reason is just subjectivity with a higher degree of efficiency and metacognitive conscious control over it.

Actually, so are you, my little carebear. This might be true for you, but doesn't mean it's necessarily true for others, or for that matter on each subject.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Define rational.

OK, I'll go a little further into what I said. My initial post was short and concise for a reason - mostly because I wanted to make a point about the ton of different takes on it that people can have. Some people in this thread seem to have assumed I meant something like "emotion is ALWAYS rational" - that having a feeling/acting on it, somehow makes it rational/true/pick your word.

That isn't what I meant. Again, I'll talk about motivation for posting the thread, though. I see a LOT of NTs dismissing emotion outright, all the time. There seems to be a belief, with some, that emotion is *always* a bad thing, that it needs to be controlled/ignored 100% of the time if one is to remain a 'rational' person. And I just personally completely disagree with this and would hope never to live in a world where emotions are considered second rate, somehow, regardless of context.

I'll try some examples:

1.You're walking down the street. A stranger walks up to you and punches you, hard, in the face. What's you emotional reaction to this? How is it irrational, if you think it is? Also, do you think it is genuinely possible for a human being to have an unemotional response to an incident like this? How is reacting with fear and anger to a threat/aggression an irrational response?

2. You're walking down the street and witness the above scenario happening to someone else. What's the rational response here? Is compassion a rational response? Would helping out based on feelings of concern for the victim be rational? Why or why not? And if you say it wouldn't be because of the risk to self of doing so, what about the larger implications re:society - in terms of eprsonal interest, would you rather live in a society where you can count on a stranger to intervene? Or not? What if you were the victim? Is it not logical to try and do what you can to bring that society (where people help each other out) about?

And another one, in the courtroom. Is there anyone who believes that compassion has no place in a courtroom? Does context matter at all? Does human empathy/sympathy have any place in a courtroom? If you say no, explain why. Does context never matter? Has there ever been a case whereby someone is guilty according to the letter of the law, but possibly not deserving of harsh punishment due to circumstances?

Again, emotion can lead us to do stupid things ALL THE TIME. I'm not saying otherwise. I'm not even really advancing a solid belief here (other than the very broad "emotion is a good, useful, and not irrational thing, some of the time"), I'm just questioning this what-seems-to-be-largely-NT phenomenon of somehow viewing emotion or feeling or compassion as a weakness, as 'wrong' somehow.

Btw, quibbles with word definitions seem unavoidable here. If you have a different def then explain it, pls.

Amar: Thanks! The hugs help me to emotionally deal with the fact that i've damaged my NT cred with this thread. :D

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh honey, you've got balls and I admire that. Don't let them get to you :devil:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And I love your pink hot pants. *tushie slap*

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Again, emotion can lead us to do stupid things ALL THE TIME. I'm not saying otherwise. I'm not even really advancing a solid belief here (other than the very broad "emotion is a good, useful, and not irrational thing, some of the time"), I'm just questioning this what-seems-to-be-largely-NT phenomenon of somehow viewing emotion or feeling or compassion as a weakness, as 'wrong' somehow.

Oddly enough, I've seen more examples of NTs being chastised for this than of NTs saying emotions are a useless weakness . . . unless you consider a statement of "that doesn't make any sense to me" to be "emotions are a useless weakness."

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
^ +1. It was adorable.

/end derail.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If emotions aren't irrational, how exactly can NT "Rationals" contrast themselves with NFs? You're the rationals, we're the irrationals. Being irrational and imaginative is a lot more interesting, though. ;)

If people start thinking acknowledging and embracing emotion is rational, they might expect more from us. *gulp*

Yeah, you NTs keep that responsibility. I certainly don't want it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not saying emotions are irrational by nature. I'm just saying that when someones emotions evolve to the point of saying that it is irrational -not- to give in to emotions, all the while judging a group of people in the process.

Teehee.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
If emotions aren't irrational, how exactly can NT "Rationals" contrast themselves with NFs? You're the rationals, we're the irrationals. Being irrational and imaginative is a lot more interesting, though. ;)

Although offered in jest, your critique has teeth.

Quartering the MBTI into continental subgroups (SJ; SP; NF; NT) makes sense until oppositional/subjective language was introduced (ironically) probably as a means to add clarifying depth to the temperament summaries.

Instead of providing process-enhancing detail, the descriptions introduce artificial terms of implied value (Mastermind v. Mechanic). It's only natural that, from here, folks unfamiliar with the non-hierarchical nature of the MBTI would necessarily presume quality of mind/behavior against type.

In the end, applying these labels (versus simply offering an itemized breakdown of observed trait preference) distorts the MBTI into a 'tiered' (semi-competitive) framework.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
I see a LOT of NTs dismissing emotion outright, all the time. There seems to be a belief, with some, that emotion is *always* a bad thing, that it needs to be controlled/ignored 100% of the time if one is to remain a 'rational' person. And I just personally completely disagree with this and would hope never to live in a world where emotions are considered second rate, somehow, regardless of context.
NT's like myself only think emotions are bad when they conflict with rational decisions. I believe better results can usually be obtained when we let the brain rule the heart.

2. You're walking down the street and witness the above scenario happening to someone else. What's the rational response here? Is compassion a rational response?
Cooperation with others is what allowed us to dominate our world. Nature equipped us with compassion in order to promote cooperation. When we look at the big picture, it is rational to help the victim as long as the risks are reasonable. It increases the likelihood that I will receive help should I become the victim.

And another one, in the courtroom. Is there anyone who believes that compassion has no place in a courtroom?
From the perspective of self interest, leniency here is not necessarily irrational. If I ended up on trial, allowing the courts to exercise compassion would increase the likelihood that I will get a second chance. It's all based on the cost/benefit analysis.

In this example, suppose you let the rapist off easy simple because he's a handsome hunk. This would be a clear example where emotions caused a bad decision since it increases the danger to yourself.

Feelings are much more fallible than logic.