• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INTx-Smile Powers?

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
So my first thought was to put this in INTPc but this probably applies to Js and it kind of messed up there any now.

It is easy for us INT to insult, to dominate, to incite negative emotions in others. But what about positive?

On the rare days I am in a good mood, I can sometimes be seen smiling. And sometimes I will smile at others. When I do they totally light up. And I get this weird sense of power. The power to totally change someones day for the better

Because we rarely use it, do we have "smile super powers"?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I save my dour meanness for the net :)rolli:). I not infrequently smile and compliment people IRL.

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
This may come as a surprise to you, but, interestingly enough, smiling at others, regardless of your MBTI type, will generally increase their level of happiness.

That is, everyone has these "smile super powers" of which you speak.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This may come as a surprise to you, but, interestingly enough, smiling at others, regardless of your MBTI type, will generally increase their level of happiness. That is, everyone has these "smile super powers" of which you speak.

This.

You smile at people -- not just with your lips but your eyes -- and a lot of them will suddenly respond to you. Pretty amazing stuff. The social cues and emotional responses are almost inborn or at least culturally reinforced.

I do it well, but it exhausts me because I'm not a natural emoter.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
This may come as a surprise to you, but, interestingly enough, smiling at others, regardless of your MBTI type, will generally increase their level of happiness.

That is, everyone has these "smile super powers" of which you speak.

Yes, but I do presume that he means that since we smile so rarely, and we have such little practice at it, that our smiles are actually categorically/physically different somehow, and that in turn illcits a stronger response.

Basically, an INTP smile will always be a genuine smile, because we don't do that "fake smile" shit, right? So an INTPing smiling might be viewed as special. INTP smiles are not phony ones. People can notice those things.

EDIT: wait, was this about INTP smiles or INT? I dunno, doesnt matter, but I know what he's saying

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Well ... INTPs do have Fe as one of their functions. It is the inferior function, and it comes out raw and childlike at times ... but a childlike smile can certainly win over some hearts :) Not sure how that applies to INTJs, as Fi is one of their functions.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
^ yeah that's exactly it, a "childlike" smile. Surly that would have super powers.

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
Basically, an INTP smile will always be a genuine smile, because we don't do that "fake smile" shit, right? So an INTPing smiling might be viewed as special. INTP smiles are not phony ones. People can notice those things.

Actually, I frequently wear a faux smile around people I do not know well, so as to shorten the duration of any conversations that may arise. My natural expression causes others to assume that I am depressed, which, of course, causes them to ask me annoying questions, such as "Are you OK?"

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I can do the whole smiley friendly bit with people I don't know well or just bump into pretty easily, otherwise if I try to do a fake smile it looks really forced. It's like I can only access the right combination of muscle memory to make a real smile when there's actually something behind it. Though I've been told that my smile is really more of a smirk. :cool:

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well i know I'm E but I recently - last couple of months - tried to force myself to smile. Its amazing what a difference it makes. People are more friendly and I find myself being more friendly and far more happy!:D

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
Well ... INTPs do have Fe as one of their functions. It is the inferior function, and it comes out raw and childlike at times ... but a childlike smile can certainly win over some hearts :)

Yeah, this. My biggest crush in high school was on an INTP. He looked so scary and serious most of the time and then he smiled once ... :heart: (And then I might have written some crappy adolescent NF poetry comparing, ahem, the brilliance of his smile to the solar corona during a full eclipse ... or something ... *cough* :whistling:)

And now that I think about it, I realize I almost had the same reaction to an IxTJ smiling once. Goddammit!

The IxTx smile: inspiring embarrassing NF poetry since insert-date-here.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I'm quite smiley and friendly. Default face when I'm on my own is inward-turned dead-eye-like, though. It inspires paranoia because it's so difficult to read!

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
I think that ANYONE smiling will generate the same reponse in others. INT doesn't mean sad, anyway-- it just means the smile is usually more genuine.

VinceBaker

MBTI Type
INTJ
I only tend to smile when I'm around certain people. Other than a few close friends, I have that stoic expression that people take as angry, or a skeptical "You seem like an idiot, stop talking" look that scares people away.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
In my own experience people tend to comment when I smile (although I think I smile plenty they apparently think it's cause for alarm...). I agree that people are generally more surprised when introverted thinkers smile, as I've seen this with ISTP and ISTJ too, at least to some degree. Haha, and Rhapsody got it right, I think us INTx have cute smiles.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
I can do the whole smiley friendly bit with people I don't know well or just bump into pretty easily, otherwise if I try to do a fake smile it looks really forced. It's like I can only access the right combination of muscle memory to make a real smile when there's actually something behind it. Though I've been told that my smile is really more of a smirk. :cool:
This. I can't smile in photos because I know its forced and I look stupid trying to fake something that's not there.

If you do catch me smiling(which is rare), it's genuine and I won't even notice when I do smile

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Me trying to smile on cue:

moe-800x600.gif

I never got into the habit of smiling because for a long time my grill was a hot mess, so now I just never really do it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I definatly got the childlike laugh when I'm caught off gaurd.

But generally I'm much more of a smirker instead of a smiler, as long as I am in control of the laughing. :p