• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP intensity and procastination

Qre:us

What motivates you to do it in the end?

That it needs to be done.

I can put pressure on myself by focusing on peoples reaction to my work. Then I'll slog through just to see the reaction. But that's me.

Doesn't work. Others reactions are like water off a duck's back. It may make a bleep on my radar, but just as soon fade away. I'm a bit delusional about my own 'awsomeness', the only person who can crack my confidence/make me doubt myself....is me. I wish I worked via other's reactions to me, but, I don't.

It's very hard to get me to take an insult personally. My immediate reaction is amusement and giddiness that I made *them* agitated enough to insult me...and, if anything, it motivates me to 'play' with them some more. :doh:

wolfy

awsm
That it needs to be done.

Doesn't work. Others reactions are like water off a duck's back. It may make a bleep on my radar, but just as soon fade away. I'm a bit delusional about my own 'awsomeness', the only person who can crack my confidence/make me doubt myself....is me. I wish I worked via other's reactions to me, but, I don't.

It's very hard to get me to take an insult personally. My immediate reaction is amusement and giddiness that I made *them* agitated enough to insult me...and, if anything, it motivates me to 'play' with them some more. :doh:

I knew that wouldn't work for you. That's not really an NT motivator. It's not the reaction, it's the thought of the reaction that I find motivating.
But enough about me.

At the end of the day it's a pain and pleasure thing. When the pain of doing it out weighs the pleasure of not doing it, you do it.

What makes it tip from 'It needs to be done' to 'It has to be done'? Maybe the answer is there.

Good Luck.

Qre:us

^ I'm not sure I understand the difference between need versus has.

And, my motivation to do anything is either of 2: (1) want, (2) need. Meaning, it has to pass through my rationalization of why it is a need, otherwise, I really don't care if it gets done or not. I think the key lies in how I rationalize (as what others will think is not a good one for me, I must come up with others that work for me).

Thank you though for all your time with helping me (and I'm sure other's that read this) sort through it all.

My motto in life: E-F-F-O-R-T. Everything comes down to effort.

Why will I put in the effort? I will figure out 100 and 1 ways to circumvent without putting in that effort. Effort is my LAST resort. :( And, I'll only do, if I can't figure out any other possibilities of achieving, without said effort. If I can justify, I'm gold, otherwise, screw it.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Haha, I get the comments about wasted potential a lot. It's terrible. The thing is, I burn out incredibly fast if I force myself to work, and I ending up doing terrible on those assignments anyway. If I wait, though, I can get into a flow of ideas and can finish everything in about half the time as the people who work diligently, and it seems that I do better than those people as well. This is why I tend to test well, because it's the same kind of pressure.

+1

You will get a real kick out of it, if you suceed at it and will harmonize with yourself more.

You give great advice. Sometimes I can be incredibly on top of my game, but then I get burned out and withdraw for months. Then I get organized again... it's a vicious cycle. I also bought an organizer but I often hit snooze on reminders so much that I end up late anyway. So now I have 2 assistants because I know my limitations and I accept them.

What makes it tip from 'It needs to be done' to 'It has to be done'? Maybe the answer is there.

Need: I need to eat, so I buy groceries or order takeout when the need arises.
Has: I have to do laundry, but since febreeze was invented, it doesn't need to get done so quickly. :devil:

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
The interesting thing is, when I was younger, like middle school to the first year of high school, when my dad (ESTJ) was really micro-managing my school work, I was all about schedule, starting assigments as soon as I get them, studying everyday for a set amount of time, etc, etc. Over-achiever, brown-noser. (I was pretty screwed up in elementary school, and my parents moved us to a new location, and came down hard on me, so I did a 180).

And, then it was like, if 100% exist, I will get it. And, I did. I won the Math, English and Science awards for my year in Middle school. Got into a specialized program for high school. In grade 6, I remember, my teacher used to give this assigment where we had to write on the topic, max 100 words, I was so anal that every assigment of mine would be exactly 100 words, without fail. My grade 9 year, my average was around 99% (English, very hard to get 100% as there is no right answer). My math class final grade was 110% (because I got perfect on every test and exam, including bonus marks). And, then, I got tired around the middle of grade 10. Like, well, I've proved to myself I can do it, where's the fun in that? And, it went downhill from there.....that in my final year, I had to appease to the same math teacher to round my mark UP, so I didn't fail, because I did shit all in class, and got almost passing marks by literally coming to the exam, and DURING exam, learning, through deductive intuitive reasoning, Algebra & Trig. I can't believe I taught myself enough to not majorly fail. The only reason she passed me is because she knew who/what I was in Grade 9. Most shameful conversation, her telling me that she is so suprised that the only student to get above perfect in her class is coming to ask her to pass. :cry:

I had the same problem as you. I used to work superhard in my earlty years.
Then I realized I am not gettting what I want by working hard. I used to be really J; I would work from 3 pm in the afternoon to 5am in the morning to ger my work done. But no matter hard I work, I don't seem to get anty appreciation from my teacher. And worst, it got me into a burnout which I never recovered from.

Then I realized hardwork do0esn't equiate to success in life. And people who fear failure and setbacks will never learn how to succeed. So I decided to fail my ass off in school just to get an experience. :D

I think you procrastinate because you lack confidence in your abilities. And you might be pushing yourself too hard and expect yourself to succeeed. Maybe fear also played a part, because my motivation to procrastinate always revolve around fear. I just avoid work like a plague. D o not view procrastination as wasting time, try to make that time productive by doing other thingsd you enjoy doing.

Don't try to make yourself wotrk everyday, set a few days freetime everyweek where you do absolutely no work. Whether you complete your work or not is not improtant, the important thing is you start it and put your mind into it.

nucleaReligion

MBTI Type
ENTP
Good lord, everytime I read a ENTP problem I always ask, "are there twins of me running around?" The answer is no, but I have had similar issues.

I transferred to IU from a small private school in 2006. When I transferred I took the courses the advisor recommended to me and I ended up hating them. Mind you not loathing, not disliking them, HATING them. My 200 level history class, which I normally excel and major in, was a complete sham in my opinion. I stopped showing up, doing homework...I ended up failing. Coupled with my sleeping in one of my other classes, I ended up on academic probation.

I pulled myself out of it because I sat there one day and said to myself, What is wrong with me? I can figure out any problem you set in front of me, yet I can't make the prof's believe me (well a few). Then I realized I had to do something interesting in order for me to excel. From then on, I started taking classes that only interested me (or if they were required sounded interesting) OR that were challenging (such as only taking 300 level history courses) and my grades went up.

As for procrastination, it still occurs. If you don't believe me, I have an accounting exam coming up that I barely studied for. The problem for me is A.) Is it to easy for my time and effort? and B.) Is it something that can be pushed off for another project, such as working out my own ideas or another class? A lot of times A and B combine, so a project, homework or paper gets pushed aside. Sometimes I end up pulling all nighters, sometimes I get everything done efficiently.

But the best way is to combat this is to A.) realize that you have a great amount of potential, B.) You're selling yourself short if you don't try to reach that potential. (My philosophy in life is not to have others congratulate me, but to feel accomplished on the inside which means I have to work hard and do what I say I want to do). Which leads me to C.) Any time you feel that you aren't living up to your potential, write it down under a list of "Fool Things I've Done" and look at what you could have done differently. Chances are after a while, you will start to limit those things that you could have changed, such as working harder or starting earlier.

But these are only suggestions, experiment and find out what works for you!