• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTPs, Do You Daydream about Relational Issues?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I always hear that while NTPs daydream, they mostly daydream about "systems" and "logic" related topics and never (or rarely) about interpersonal stuff or psychological issues. Now, I have a suspicion as to the truth of these claims, but I want to hear it from you. What do you, NTPs, daydream about?

I know there have been a couple of other threads that slightly relate to this topic (e.g., the "INTPs what's in your imagination" thread), but I want to see what people say in relation to the issue stated in the previous paragraph.

Thanks.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
I often daydream about meeting that (presumably non-existent) person who will turn my life upside down.

I'll often spend hours wondering what I'd do if I was a superhero (interacting with characters from a particular show/movie), had a Death Note or basically insert myself into any given fictional situation.

Last edited:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I can't even imagine what daydreaming about systems would be like. I actually mostly daydream about relational stuff or about being better at stuff I like to do now (like playing guitar or singing), or meeting my heroes. I tend to find a lot of RL people around me kind of boring, so I sometimes daydream about meeting people I click with.

I've always done that, ever since I was a kid. When I was a kid, I'd daydream about being in the movies.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Relational things are more visualization than daydreaming. I visualize what it would be like to be married, have kids, etc... I end up not wanting it, but I do think about it so I can try to make a decision. Sometimes it's cute though to picture a little kid of mine running around in a field or some bullshit.

I also visualize solving emotional problems with friends. It's easier for me to address it when I can imagine the route they will take and the things they will say. It helps me to prepare, since I don't handle emotional discussions well.

But these are visualizations that don't really bring me pleasure. I have pleasure when I daydream about a problem and the answer becomes blatantly obvious. I like to daydream about space exploration, as well.

I also daydream about meeting people I admire and what I would say to them. And how I can step up my game to make them want to talk to me back. I also daydream about what it would have been like if I hadn't abandoned music as a career.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
When my interests tilt away from impersonal issues, I definitely toss interpersonal stuff into my mix of "things to be analyzed and daydreamed about". And the most difficult decisions I have to make often are interpersonal related, so a lot of visualizing and scenario pondering can occur. I guess the social world could be thought of as a very complex and nuanced system, but one in which you are often personally invested in.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
It is rare for me to find that someone has planted themselves firmly in the fields of my imagination, but it has happened, and yes, I will daydream.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is rare for me to find that someone has planted themselves firmly in the fields of my imagination, but it has happened, and yes, I will daydream.

Same here. This doesn't usually happen. I am usually too busy dreaming up inventions, gadgets, making connections between seemingly unrelated things.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I daydream about "hypothetical conversation" like 80 % of the time. I'm eithering addressing would-be questions/issues and doing my best to describe to whomever I'm talking to (sometimes its a real person, sometimes its unknown persons). occaisonally it does relate to "systems" (the other day i was wondering about how a flame/external combustion reaction could exist if atoms occupy no static position in which to exchange electrons, then realized we have no meaningful metaphysics pertaining to the atom), but my real problem in life is relating to people. No surprise then that i daydream more conversations than I really have.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I mainly daydream about past events, and modify them to how I would have liked them to be; the whole "Shoulda-woulda-coulda" thing.

That, or fantasizing about events that I'm looking forward to.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I won't try and interpret what's been said until I get more replies.

I can't even imagine what daydreaming about systems would be like. I actually mostly daydream about relational stuff or about being better at stuff I like to do now (like playing guitar or singing), or meeting my heroes. I tend to find a lot of RL people around me kind of boring, so I sometimes daydream about meeting people I click with.

I've always done that, ever since I was a kid. When I was a kid, I'd daydream about being in the movies.

I mainly daydream about past events, and modify them to how I would have liked them to be; the whole "Shoulda-woulda-coulda" thing.

That, or fantasizing about events that I'm looking forward to.

This is pretty much exactly the sort of thing that I daydream about.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't dwell on the past, or really spend much time envisioning the future. I'm more often reimagining the present in a parallel universe with the settings "tweaked". I'm constantly scrolling through "what-if" scenarios, be that in a personal or a broader socio-political/historical/cosmic context.
If I'm into someone romantically I'll spend a lot of time daydreaming about them. Too much time...

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't dwell on the past, or really spend much time envisioning the future. I'm more often reimagining the present in a parallel universe with the settings "tweaked". I'm constantly scrolling through "what-if" scenarios, be that in a personal or a broader socio-political/historical/cosmic context.
If I'm into someone romantically I'll spend a lot of time daydreaming about them. Too much time...

I think more about the future than the past in my daydreams. But I also do the "what-if" scenarios. I often imagine how I would respond in survival situations like being lost on a deserted island or in the middle of a zombie invasion.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Whenever I daydream about relationships, yes, it's usually logistical. I posit a scenario, and I explore it. And then generally it devolves into extended monologues, in which I explain why the relationship as presented just wouldn't work.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
I daydream about "hypothetical conversation" like 80 % of the time. I'm eithering addressing would-be questions/issues and doing my best to describe to whomever I'm talking to (sometimes its a real person, sometimes its unknown persons).
Ah. Yes. Sometimes the imaginary arguments I get into can be kind of heated, too.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I daydream about death and scenarios involving death and violence.
I think I kind of "see" what its like to be for people in the past to fight and survive in wars.

I also think about the possible outcomes the future can hold, and how I can take advantage of these otucomes.

I also think about what would life be like if I live in a 1984 (from george orwell) enviroment,
and what I would do if I were in the main character's situation.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I day dream about what might of happened with relation stuff.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Very good question. Now that I think about it, seeing as how relationships are my main source of conflict, second to probably regretting/dreading decisions I've made or have yet to make, I do think about them a lot. I have conversations in my head, hypothetical scenarios as to whether this or that will happen if a certain piece of information is expressed or exchanged.

Other than that, I typically spend a lot of time thinking about my various interests, how I can feed my desire for new things, or regretting past mistakes. A new topic on physics, an article a friend sends me from his iGoogle page, the latest video game I'm playing, a new skill I'm interested in learning, these things occupy my mind more often, but I do have thoughts about my relationships, probably daily.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I daydream about my knight in shining armor riding up on a white horse and coming to rescue me.