• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs and debating with SOs

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
and you answered me seriously with your location and age. So I figured that you didn't get the fact that I was joking. So I made another joke, which you didn't get either.

I fail.

1. Dont overlook the factor of cultural differences. I am writting on English, what hides and distorts my real identity.

2. This is not the first time you asked from where I am from. So I have decided to give you a straight answer.

3. If I remember correctly you've once said that you would date me.

I am trully sorry if I am going too fast for you. :devil:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
So, the real question here is why does comfortable conflict encourage desire?

I think it's the tension. Not working backwards but working forwards from the premise that 2 people have sexual chemistry and have been intimate before (or want to be) - that energy comes out in other ways. You see this a lot in people who flirt by play fighting. Even though they may ostensibly be arguing about who did this or is supposed to do that - really it is a kind of one up manship or cat and mouse game or keeping score.

Really the true subtext and message being conveyed via the debate/flirting/arguing/fighting is, "I really want you and I want you to want me too and it's driving me nuts because I just really want you to acknowledge it and you know, knock boots" Or something not as crude. I'm not sure how everyone's inner monologue sounds.

More than just purely physiological responses - in conflict people are directing and throwing a lot of personal 'energy' at each other and diffusing it or absorbing it and basically receiving and processing it and creating an amalgam of two people energies meeting - which parallels the inter play that happens in sex.

I think.

Granted I've dated people who've said if we slept together more often we wouldn't fight as much. HA HA HA. And no, they were not dudes, they just sounded like it in that moment. HA HA HA.

It's tension, mang, lots and lots of tension.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read somewhere that ENTP's relate arguing with intimacy. Strange idea if you ask me. So this question goes to the ENTPs. The more you argue with a person of the opposite sex, the more attracted or interested you are in them? What if the argument turns to anger? Is anger a level of love?

Hmmm, I was doing that not too long ago, It was a playful argument though. The more aggressive arguments I consider irresistable, only in a kind of bad way. Its obvious that they don't particularly like it, They tell me to stop (as if they weren't even doin anything!)

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
1. Dont overlook the factor of cultural differences. I am writting on English, what hides and distorts my real identity.

2. This is not the first time you asked from where I am from. So I have decided to give you a straight answer.

3. If I remember correctly you've once said that you would date me.

I am trully sorry if I am going too fast for you. :devil:

Hahhaa, touché!! I like your style!
:rofl1:

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Not an ENTP, but when in a comfortable relationship I can be more relaxed and tend to act like one.

For me, back and forth banter, either about us or a topic or gossip about someone else, is such an aphrodisiac for me, that I cannot imagine a relationship without a bit of healthy back and forth.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Synarch said:
So, the real question here is why does comfortable conflict encourage desire?

it builds rapport and, over time, respect for each other waay faster than anything else.

-you avoid small talk. you are actually expressing your views of the world. its concrete and personalized

-you are bold enough to take shots at the one another. you are drilling through that wall that everyone puts up for the world

-taking shots at each other, people feel like they have let too much of themselves show too soon creating some internal conflict. since the source of the conflict is external (specifically that other person), the resolution must be too

'comfortable conflict' is the name of the game when it comes to meeting new people too.

this current thread can probably supplement this one: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/relationships/6069-why-do-women-go-out-assholes.html

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Do you guys think it's healthy to seek out a SO with whom one constantly debates? Or is argumentation and one-upmanship better left for friends, with relationships being :wubbie:-fests?

I obviously want someone who loves my mind like I do, but it seems odd that someone could respect me intellectually and not want to debate. Like, "Awesome sword, but no, I don't want to fence." But then the types that ENTPs work best with tend to be very anti-conflict. So it's a bit of a catch-22.

You're making this out to be so black-and-white; how positively INTJ of you! ;)

So long as both parties in a romantic relationship remain detached, debate is great. As soon as one party starts to get emotionally involved, it's time for the other one to switch off the devil's advocacy and instead crank up the empathy.

I believe the reason why the INTJ-ENTP match seemingly so often fails despite the mindmate chemistry is that one or both individuals fail at this.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This thread amuses me greatly.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am always here, if SO needs to debate with an ENTP :)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoSL_qayMCc"]xD[/YOUTUBE]

ghoti

MBTI Type
intj
I find most people tiring to debate with, because they make it overly personal and come off as extremely unreasonable about their positions without much substance to back it up. It's not that I'm stubborn or unwilling to admit when I'm wrong, but that most people I encounter cannot come up with rational arguments that make their position worth seriously considering. And since I explore most angles before I am comfortable settling into a decision, it's most likely I've already considered their argument. If it failed to impress me the first time and they have nothing new and insightful to bring to the table, they're not going to get far.

Oh but ENTPs. They're the few that know how to appeal to my logical side, but also present new perspectives I might not have even realized existed. It's like viewing the world through a stereoscopic photo. It reveals a lot more depth than my own observations alone, but you need the two layers to make it complete. My ENTP girlfriend and I learn a lot from each other through constant discussion, and I've spent more time talking with her than everyone else combined. We usually have a lot of the same opinions, even if our approaches and methods aren't the same. It also helps that we have similar value systems, so there is no major conflict there. That's probably what makes our arrangement possible, because I cannot imagine either of us doing well with an individual that doesn't hold the same core values.

My one complaint, and we've worked on this, is that sometimes she gets a bit too passionate to the point it overwhelms me. Even when we agree. Sometimes she doesn't allow me enough processing time. Though I'm good at handling a lot at once, I still need to relate new information against what I already know to properly make sense of it. She gets extremely energized by a debate and suddenly she's off at full force, barely allowing me time to think and herself to breathe. It's probably an IE conflict? At first I didn't handle it well, because system overload makes me very frustrated and feeling harassed, so I'd cut her out and leave so I would have time to think things through on my own. And obviously she didn't take me leaving well and often felt like somehow she offended me, when it wasn't the case.

But I could never have a proper relationship with somebody that was not willing to tell me when I am wrong and why. Disagreements aren't necessarily unfriendly, as long as both parties are mature enough to handle it well.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Oh, that's awesome ghoti! You guys seem like a great match.

Your gf sounds like me when I get into Ne overload. I can overwhelm people with my passionate and quick pace, and oftentimes non NTs mistake that for anger. It's funny, there is usually no emotion behind it other than pure excitement and energy at a new idea or concept.

Qre:us

I find most people tiring to debate with, because they make it overly personal and come off as extremely unreasonable about their positions without much substance to back it up. It's not that I'm stubborn or unwilling to admit when I'm wrong, but that most people I encounter cannot come up with rational arguments that make their position worth seriously considering. And since I explore most angles before I am comfortable settling into a decision, it's most likely I've already considered their argument. If it failed to impress me the first time and they have nothing new and insightful to bring to the table, they're not going to get far.

Oh but ENTPs. They're the few that know how to appeal to my logical side, but also present new perspectives I might not have even realized existed. It's like viewing the world through a stereoscopic photo. It reveals a lot more depth than my own observations alone, but you need the two layers to make it complete. My ENTP girlfriend and I learn a lot from each other through constant discussion, and I've spent more time talking with her than everyone else combined. We usually have a lot of the same opinions, even if our approaches and methods aren't the same. It also helps that we have similar value systems, so there is no major conflict there. That's probably what makes our arrangement possible, because I cannot imagine either of us doing well with an individual that doesn't hold the same core values.

My one complaint, and we've worked on this, is that sometimes she gets a bit too passionate to the point it overwhelms me. Even when we agree. Sometimes she doesn't allow me enough processing time. Though I'm good at handling a lot at once, I still need to relate new information against what I already know to properly make sense of it. She gets extremely energized by a debate and suddenly she's off at full force, barely allowing me time to think and herself to breathe. It's probably an IE conflict? At first I didn't handle it well, because system overload makes me very frustrated and feeling harassed, so I'd cut her out and leave so I would have time to think things through on my own. And obviously she didn't take me leaving well and often felt like somehow she offended me, when it wasn't the case.

But I could never have a proper relationship with somebody that was not willing to tell me when I am wrong and why. Disagreements aren't necessarily unfriendly, as long as both parties are mature enough to handle it well.

I really liked reading this post, and, you hit on the crux (see bolded) of what makes such a relationship work.

As for the underlined, guilty :blush:, and like Jen said, it's the energy/excitement over someone willing to meet us there, that we sometimes steam-roll forward, lest we lose the momentum, the moment, or the other changes their mind, train of thought.
When in the heat of the moment, I'm shooting questions at light-speed, the holes/inconsistencies that may be in a thought/idea. That, like my bf says, STOP, I'm just answering in reaction when you fire questions like that, let me think first, if you want a legit answer. And, when he justifies with such rationalization, i.e., it makes sense, I instantly calm and tone down.

PS - welcome to the boards, ENTP lovah!