• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs and debating with SOs

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
One thing that is enticing about the thought of INTJ SOs is knowing they wouldn't be shocked by my jokes. I wouldn't have to use a filter.

Maybe I shouldn't dismiss this combo so quickly!

Qre:us

Hah! The boy and I both love to play the devil's advocate. He's an INxJ, most likely an INFJ with high T functioning. Initially, when learning MBTI, I considered him INTJ.

I'm actually pretty attracted to INTJ; out of all types, esp. NTs, they're the most likely to engage in debate (aside from ENTPs), for the hell of it. Just cuz. To know. To learn. Out of curiosity. Cuz they got a question, esp. if they are secure enough with you. :wubbie:

The boy and I initially started off as friends, and, one day he told me, "You know, I was literally sitting on my couch for a couple of hours, racking my brain trying to figure out, at least ONE reason why I am still friends with you...and, I couldn't find any other reason, just one, you have a damn intriguing mind."

I was actually quite offended, once you peel away the layers of that 'compliment', i.e., there was NO redeeming quality about me aside from my mind and its daily dose of weirdness/fascination for him.

And, the other thing that he admires about me, "You got balls."

Combining them together means that we bond over debating.

So, yup, we engage in debate with each other quite often. It's our subtle way of showing affection. Outsiders think we're 'unhealthy' because we're always bickering, but, we love it. It works for *us*...and makes those moments when we are emotionally intimate that much more special. More intimate, treasured.

Our fav. past-time, like this last weekend, bust out the lawnchairs, with the beerholders, a shared blanket, on his deck, moon and stars up above, a couple of candles casting shadowy glow, we debate. Balls out. Spitfire round. Debate. Makes what I try to engage in these forums look like child's play.

Then, calm discussions. Talking of hopes, dreams, what ifs, weird scenarios, what would you do.

Then, debate.

Sometimes, there's from his end, "let's just agree to disagree"

and...from me, "Whatever, Mr. Devil's Advocate"

Him snickering.

Me making shadow puppets.

And, we debate. Sometimes, until the sun rises again the next day. It's mental exhaustion of the most formidable kind. Indescribable in words.

Makes falling asleep holding tight to him, that much more special, cuz, this was the same person who smilingly took my mental hits, and I his, and recognized ideas for ideas, versus, me for me, and are now holding me, not my ideas, oh so tight.

Love it.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Maybe I shouldn't dismiss this combo so quickly!

They can be great.

My ex INTJ was fun as all hell, but he just liked everything to be very precise and he tortured me because I wasn't. And he made a big show of torturing me, instead of just telling me what he wanted.

Cady

MBTI Type
ENTP
I worry about stressing them out sometimes, because I can be flaky with plans. But INTJs don't stress me out at all. They're like partners in crime. :devil:

Agreed INTJ's are the shit to have working with you. They come through when they say they will and do really excellent work. I think ENTP's and INTJ's have the best synergy in open ended projects because there's more room for an ENTP to really contribute by adding their own original spin to it and the INTJ grounds us. It's just like you said, I'm more worried I'm going to freak them out dragging things to the last minute

Now I'm curious, what do INTJ's think about ENTP's?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Do you guys think it's healthy to seek out a SO with whom one constantly debates? Or is argumentation and one-upmanship better left for friends, with relationships being :wubbie:-fests?

I obviously want someone who loves my mind like I do, but it seems odd that someone could respect me intellectually and not want to debate. Like, "Awesome sword, but no, I don't want to fence." But then the types that ENTPs work best with tend to be very anti-conflict. So it's a bit of a catch-22.

What thinks you?

Why are you trying to start an argument?

I've seen this echoed by INTJs and ENTPs on the forum that have tried this pairing out.

It's not the coldness. It's that INTJ's stuff their feelings at the bottom of some well inside.

Hah! The boy and I both love to play the devil's advocate. He's an INxJ, most likely an INFJ with high T functioning. Initially, when learning MBTI, I considered him INTJ.

INFJ's usually have strong Ti, it seems, especially the males. All the INFJ males I know are programmers.

marmandahalf

Why are you trying to start an argument?

I think argument, or at least passionate discussion, is the form of communication with which I'm the most comfortable. Maybe because small talk is usually so fake and scripted. But if someone gets up in arms defending what they believe- now that's real.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
When it commes to stressing you don't have to worry about me I am quite calm person.
But I have to comment that your INTJs are not much of a planners if they have a problem with planning that is including your P into the equation.

Agreed INTJ's are the shit to have working with you. They come through when they say they will and do really excellent work. I think ENTP's and INTJ's have the best synergy in open ended projects because there's more room for an ENTP to really contribute by adding their own original spin to it and the INTJ grounds us. It's just like you said, I'm more worried I'm going to freak them out dragging things to the last minute

Now I'm curious, what do INTJ's think about ENTP's?

From simplistic point of wiew ENTPs are great since they attract attention on themselves. So you(INTJ) can hide in te background if needed.
Plus ENTPs are verbaly skilled.
Also they are rational so you can debate them without hurting them or they will just understand what you are saying. Or they simply share the love towards the intellect.

Also I don't mind randomness so much since I know that I am too unspontaneous and I could use some of your traits often.
On the other hand you need grounding.

This is in short and this is why I have concluded that ENTPs (or some similar type) are probably my best bet.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

This sentence bothers me.

My ex must have thought that I never was able to put on my pants by myself until he came along. I'm grounded. I'm just not anal retentive. Somehow, I think I would find a way to piss you off. :cheese:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

My ex must have thought that I never was able to put on my pants by myself until he came along. I'm grounded. I'm just not anal retentive. Somehow, I think I would find a way to piss you off. :cheese:

Well, I have heard from alot of NPs that they would not mind becoming a little bit more J. So I said what I said only because of that. Your P does not bother me.

Also I would dare to say that I live in a society full of Ps.
So I got used to P.

Qre:us

INFJ's usually have strong Ti, it seems, especially the males. All the INFJ males I know are programmers.

Yeah, Evan helped me finally conclude INFJ....although the easiest thing would be to get the dude to take the test himself, as I have one version of the full questionnaire, but, I have my own (convoluted) reasons for still keeping him in the dark about MBTI (hint: a lot of it is so that he never finds out about the ENTP profile, and goes :rolleyes:)

Because, of incidences like:

Been there, soooo done that. Jen, remember, I was talking about the 'patronization'? Yeah....that.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I think banter makes a relationship fun and entertaining.

Arguing sort of debate is a different story. I doubt any relationship regardless of type pairing will survive for long they're constantly arguing.