• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] The Contradictory Nature of Being an NT

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I am an INTP. I don't know if this is actually characteristic of all NT's, or if it's just other INTP's, but I would like to see if other NT's have their heads in the clouds as much as I do.

To move on, I often daydream and fantasize about looking at nature, watching sunsets, enjoying landscapes, etc., however, when I actually DO go out to nature or watch a sunset, I dislike it and don't see what the big deal is. It's ironic because I enjoy the world better in my head, which is absolutely ridiculous.

When I go about my daily business, I often feel as though I have 75% of myself at any given moment invested in my head. It's hard to describe this, and I'm not sure many other types will get it, but it's when I force myself to "stop and smell the roses," if you will, or just take the time to look around my surroundings, I can take that remaining 75% out of my head and act completely "in the present," but I can only do it for a short time...maybe because I'm not used to doing it. The best way I could describe it using MBTI is like switching my mind off from an N into an S.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about and can sympathize with me on any given level?

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
Not sure I know how to "stop and smell the roses" at all as I am always in my head, but I do enjoy nature. I have a mini laboratory in my back yard, so I can go outside, observe for a short time, come back in and research. I have been observing a new tree ant and studying the hunting habits of yellowjack hornets :)

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm exactly the same way. I like to think of nature in my head, but when it comes down to it, I can't really appreciate it "in the moment style".

Sometimes I get to the point of being extremely stressed by my analytical thinking, I just go down to the school yard in the middle of the night and lay on a bench and look at the stars. This is an example of the only time I can really let everything go. Feeling "in the moment" is such a wonderful experience for a person who doesn't get to appreciate it very much.:yes:

I don't know why it's this way. I'm an INTP also, so maybe it's something to do with the order of functions. Is it Si that is used as a stress reliever? Si is connected to past experiences, maybe this would include nostalgia which is what I experience when I lay on the bench looking at the stars.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I think the intuitive aspect influences the way in which we think. For example, I rationalize but do it in a quick, reflexive way, almost naturally. Idealists share this N trait, and their world is similarly abstract to ours when considering ways to think independently and imagine. Indeed it is contradictory, since the Thinking wishes us to be realistic, but the iNtuitive will construct this reality within our own realms.

Lucifer

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I do not find that. Nature is a great well of information and beauty.
Especially once you apply Quantum Mechanics, Super String Theory, and the relativity principles, you really take notice to the beauty that has be constructed, and the fact that we can see it is a gift that exceeds most.
I do think of many things and wonder of the future, but the future relies on appreciating the present, hence, stopping to smell the roses is something I always make time for.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
To move on, I often daydream and fantasize about looking at nature, watching sunsets, enjoying landscapes, etc., however, when I actually DO go out to nature or watch a sunset, I dislike it and don't see what the big deal is. It's ironic because I enjoy the world better in my head, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Answer 1: At least you get to enjoy looking at nature in your head. :dry: :alttongue: ;)

Answer 2: IMO your OP is about the contradictory nature of being an NTP. Your struggle is with your inferior Fe that is gauging your strong personal preference for using N against the societal maxim that Sightseeing Is Thrilling. We INTJs easily (some would say arrogantly) dismiss the latter and start threads akin to this one only with a transparently smug smirk and an accusatory tone toward society (Antisocial one, I'm looking at you! :SaiyanSmilie_anim:), whereas ENTJs seem to either beat 'em by quickly, almost mindlessly thwarting any invokings of the maxim with the Te force of their personality ("Is looking at the sunset going to help me save our business?" with the implied follow-up "No? Then shut up about the damn sunset.") or join 'em by at least paying lip service to the truth of the maxim ("Look what a beautiful sunset!" and then you don't see them give the sunset a second look themselves :rolleyes:).

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I do get you about the imagining thing. But with me the problem is trying to stop imagining what could happen and actually enjoy it when it does happen. I found the trick to being more here and now is just to do anything that comes to mind straight away as then before your mind develops the idea into a bigger one you are getting out your system. Telling jokes is a good example. If i think of anything vaguely funny i just say it so my mind doesn't racing ahead and lose track of reality.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
or join 'em by at least paying lip service to the truth of the maxim ("Look what a beautiful sunset!" and then you don't see them give the sunset a second look themselves :rolleyes:).

Yeah, that's similar to what I do. They say, "Hey, look at the sunset" and then I glance at it and say, "Yeah, that's really nice," without actually having looked at it. Unless I'm in really bad mood, then I'll say, "I'm not interested in the sun unless it's going to supernova soon. Leave me alone."

I've never really appreciated nature much, myself. I think it could be because I wasn't exposed to it a lot as a kid, so I don't have any fond memories of it. I spent the majority of my childhood indoors, and I'm content to continue keeping my time outdoors to a minimum. :yes:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not just NTs that experience this. I find myself often depressed when I have to leave that magical place in my head and get back to the 'real' world.
And yes, often things are better in your head, coz you have none of the wordly restrictions and discomforts :D

Though if you just sit quietly in Nature, I find it can blow you away. I also find that I can merge the world in my head with my surroundings at that point. And that's one of the rare occasions I experience utter bliss ;)

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
not nature per se, but yeah, a LOT of things are much better in my head than in real life

in your head, you have it exactly how you want it with all the things you like added and all the things you dont like removed...not the case when in comes to real life

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
To the OP - I know exactly what you mean. I literally 'live' in my head. When people interrupt that world with something that doesn't 'belong' in it, I get irritated. There are times though, like you said, where I deliberately pull myself out of it, as if coming up for air and new input. Then something else takes my interest and I'm off daydreaming again and want to be left alone.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love the idea of sunsets and nature but for many years it was really hard for me to get invested more than a few minutes, my mind doesn't shut up that long... it's always wanting to step outside the moment and examine the experience, not just live it.

I've developed far more ability to shut everything down and just live in the moment without thinking about it, and just be. It's a weird feeling, though, even if it makes nature more enjoyable.

Qre:us

Actually, nature enhances my mind to wander in the world of thoughts and daydreams. I love just driving to this little pocket that has one lone bench overlooking the river, with a big weeping willow tree hanging over the bench. My favourite spot to watch the sun play over the water ripples. I get into a zone then, and my mind wa(o)nders more fervently, than when when I'm *stuck* in the noises of the 'real world' (like people talking, traffic, horns, phones, etc).

My INFJ (who, I was initially unsure whether he was an INTJ) freely admits that the "realities" in his head are way more interesting than actual reality. He is socially awkward cuz of it. I.e., he is very abrupt with people, without realizing its foibles. E.g., after playing soccer, a girl who gave him a ride back was in the middle of the conversation, but, because they had reached his house, in the middle of her speaking, he jumps out, thanks her and leaves. She later told him that he is the weirdest person to talk to because he can very well leave you in mid-sentence (as most times, he's quite bored with you...:doh:)...on his part, he doesn't realize it as being rude.

Even his boss says that he will get this irritated glazed look in his eyes, meaning the boss knows that he better speed up AND GET TO THE POINT, because again, hearing others blabber is not my INFJ's specialty. He wants minimum engagement with others and reality, so he can get back to his head.

I think it's the workings of N, and, I would even predict it's more likely Ni than Ne.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I've developed far more ability to shut everything down and just live in the moment without thinking about it(...)It's a weird feeling, though, even if it makes nature more enjoyable.

Bladder control takes some getting used to.

edit: I really don't know why I'd say that. I blame you for everything.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I love walking on a sunny day and enjoying the breeze. But i'm usually imagining things my head, thinking on why this and that is happening, trying to find connection on subjects, etc. Basically everything, BUT, enjoying the good weather and the nice sunny day. But, its a fairly relaxing activity, so i enjoy thinking and getting lost in my head while my physical body is in a comfortable setting.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't daydream about nature at all, but I do imagine scenarios, conversations, abilities, etc. that are all much better in my head than when I encounter them in real life, since I can control the variables. Sometimes people disappoint me by being so concerned with mundane things, or I disappoint myself by not being able to perform or think on the spot like I want to. But in my head, everything always works out perfectly.

I actually learned to use this ability by realizing that I could write--take some of the imagined scenarios and dialogue and put them on paper, make something out of them. Of course, I don't do this very often, but it's nice to know I have that ability.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Actually, nature enhances my mind to wander in the world of thoughts and daydreams. I love just driving to this little pocket that has one lone bench overlooking the river, with a big weeping willow tree hanging over the bench. My favourite spot to watch the sun play over the water ripples. I get into a zone then, and my mind wa(o)nders more fervently, than when when I'm *stuck* in the noises of the 'real world' (like people talking, traffic, horns, phones, etc).

Yeah, this is how I am as well. I have a pretty big hill that I like to climb and sit on where I can just watch the clouds without noise or annoying people bothering me. It seems to refresh my mind and allows for more thorough exploration of all the trains of thought that got interrupted and sidelined throughout the day.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bladder control takes some getting used to.

I'll figure it out... so when I piss on you later for being such a goob, you can rest assured I'm doing it on purpose, not by accident. :devil:

edit: I really don't know why I'd say that. I blame you for everything.

The devil stepped out for a century or two, I'm standing in for him.
(Never let a demon do a woman's job.)

Yeah, this is how I am as well. I have a pretty big hill that I like to climb and sit on where I can just watch the clouds without noise or annoying people bothering me. It seems to refresh my mind and allows for more thorough exploration of all the trains of thought that got interrupted and sidelined throughout the day.

That's always good. I usually go down to the river every night in the spring/summer and just watch the water go by and the grass dance in the breeze and all the people go by... (and with this last, I feel like part of society without having to interact).

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Perhaps this is more of a N P thing..

marmandahalf

Reality (including nature) is like the audience at an improv show. It gives me prompts, but the real show is inside my head.