• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP...gone haywire?

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
mods, please dont move this to that type confused section just yet...im specifically looking for Nx viewpoints

I’m an ENTP, no doubt about it. The descriptions match. The cognitive functions, as far as I can identify, match...

BUT there have been a fair number of times when I would come across as an ENFP in my decision making. At first, I couldn’t explain it and so I reread the descriptions …but ended up with ENTP cuz:
-I can identify with it
-I have like no Fi

I think why my decision making, at times, comes across as ENFP is because I decided a long time ago (way before I knew bout MBTI) that though I can be a hardcore NT, it would be healthier for me and the world (in the grand scheme of things) if I always do the 'right thing' which is consciously choose to care about other people as well...basically, not being a complete asshole. Doing this doesn’t always make me happy but I do feel content in knowing I did the right thing regardless of the consequences.

Or maybe it’s just a well developed Fe?

OR, on the other end of the scale, could I be an ENFP with a needle pricking me on the side that makes me somewhat of an asshole towards everyone else?

I should mention that I come from a fairly traditional and religious background where god is the ultimate doer and karma plays a very important role…don’t make this a debate bout god…please.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
i do have an INTP buddy and an ENFP buddy to use as references and usually im more like the INTP but there are some subjects where i tend to agree with the ENFP more

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yup. I've been called an ENFP numerous times by other NTs because what's 'right' matters to me as much as what is correct. The difference for me is deciding to care about what's 'right' is clearly a choice for me.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dude, how old are you?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I realized that I'm not an ENFP pretty quickly, Just spend a while talking to them and you see the differences. They are pretty similar types though, I've heard people say that it's difficult to type ENXPs because they are rather rounded (or something like that). I still have some crazy dude running around trying to convince me that I'm an INFP!?! (although it's still a possiblity -damned perception!!!).

I'm trying to understand Fe atm (not trying particularly hard mind you). I remember seeing something about Fe being the function that ENTPs revert to when people start to disengage from them, which results in them wanting to be liked by others more or something?

I'd like to point out that there are actually religious INTPs around, I'm sure ENTPs can do the same thing.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
... I remember seeing something about Fe being the function that ENTPs revert to when people start to disengage from them, which results in them wanting to be liked by others more or something? ...

For me, it has nothing to do with being liked.

I don't revert to anything. It's just there. If someone is in trouble, I want to help. If I think I can help most by not speaking, I'll do that. If I think my opinion can help, I'll give it. If I've committed to someone, I keep my commitment.

If there is no one in need of anything, there's nothing for my Fe to do.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
If anything, it has more to do with my own arrogance in thinking I'm the one who can help.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, it has nothing to do with being liked.

I don't revert to anything. It's just there. If someone is in trouble, I want to help. If I think I can help most by not speaking, I'll do that. If I think my opinion can help, I'll give it. If I've committed to someone, I keep my commitment.

If there is no one in need of anything, there's nothing for my Fe to do.

That makes a great deal of sense, I do exactly the same I think :nice:, I didn't know that was Fe? Would an Fi do this?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not doubting your lack of Fi, I'm doubting mine :harhar:, but there's a fair mix of curiosity in there too. I think Fi would probably do the same if it lined up with their moral values. :thinking:

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Maybe ENTP Fe is there as a result of what we've decided is the most logical way to live our lives.

I see plenty to dislike about the world, for instance. But it seems illogical to dwell on that instead of just doing what I can to change it. What's the point of whining about the way things are?

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I can see where you are coming from. Having ESTJ and ESFJ parents made me keep a cap on the Ne and become more Si when a kid i think so I developed Ti and Si more and the Ne didn't show as much on the outside though it was there. I think the Si more than the Fe made me care about right and wrong and what was expected and made me quieter.

However I've noticed that as I let my Ne flourish i've found myself caring about how other feel more and generally being more aware of others feelings. Its less about right and wrong and more about actually enjoying helping others to develop.

I don't think your going haywire just going through a sort of mental puberty of Fe.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yup. I've been called an ENFP numerous times by other NTs because what's 'right' matters to me as much as what is correct. The difference for me is deciding to care about what's 'right' is clearly a choice for me.

Maybe ENTP Fe is there as a result of what we've decided is the most logical way to live our lives.

+1000

I have very little Fi, things just don't affect me. But I have a strong Fe, which I take to be a sense of ethics. I defend the little guy often. But ironically, it's not because I care about the actual little guy, it's because the injustice itself bothers me. But of course, I am the sole decider of what is ethical and just. It has to make reasonable, logical sense - it's not based on how I feel about something, per se - it has to be a well reasoned and fair argument.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
+1000

I have very little Fi, things just don't affect me. But I have a strong Fe, which I take to be a sense of ethics. I defend the little guy often. But ironically, it's not because I care about the actual little guy, it's because the injustice itself bothers me. But of course, I am the sole decider of what is ethical and just. It has to make reasonable, logical sense - it's not based on how I feel about something, per se - it has to be a well reasoned and fair argument.

You have no clue about Fe

You live it but you dont feel it

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
You have no clue about Fe

You live it but you dont feel it

You're right, I have no clue about it. I came on this site to learn more, but I don't think I have. Please educate me - I beg of you. (I am being genuine)