• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] XNTJ humor vs XNTP humor

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Very similar yet significantly different, ime. Thoughts? Wherein lies the difference?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
XNTJs don't have humor supposedly, I guess that would be the difference

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
My INTJ's and ENTJ's and me have often mused together that it's our sense of humour that acts as the glue the keeps us together despite the big other differences in our ways of thinking.

It's like we think of different things - what I think of wouldn't have occured to them and vice versa, but that's the great part about it - I make an off-kilter quip and they add to it and embellish it with stuff I wouldn't have thought of, so it comes as a surprise and makes me genuinely laugh. Then I come back with something they wouldn't have thought of and they say 'genius! love it!' and laugh their asses off, they reply and I do the same, on it goes and we have each other in stitches. It's one of the times when Ne and Ni working together can really pwn, when thinking comedically that whole sideways thinking angle has it down.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've no idea.

But my guess would be is that an INTP might be more likely to use humor to avoid conflict. Whereas an INTJ likely wouldn't do that.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Mm. For me, humor is often a way to avoid addressing something directly. That might be a product of conflict avoidance or of simple inertia. I guess on some level they're the same thing. It's less effort to be wry than to properly respond. And often more interesting.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
That's true. Most of my humor, and that of a close ENTP friend of mine, seems to arise out of a detached fascination. Oh, look; if you turn this verb upside-down, it resembles a rhinoceros!

It's associative; it's analytical. It's often quite dry. It's not particularly judgmental. It is, however, quite evasive. Which ties into the above.

You could say it's a product of ransacking the obvious in search of something less tedious.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I will Americanize this so that everybody will get it. (or maybe they wouldn't)

We changed chimney on our house when I was younger.

Mother: WOW that new thing is huge.
Me: Yes it is. Now we have the capacity to burn 5 Mexicans a month.
Mother: WTF?
Me: Alright 3 Mexicans and 2 Canadians a month,
Mother: What got into you my son ? (shocked)
Me: OK,OK 2 Mexicans , 2 Canadians and one Puerto rican guy.;)

I said this just for the sake of shocking my mother.

But it is not too likely that NTP will say something like this.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I will Americanize this so that everybody will get it. (or maybe they wouldn't)

We changed chimney on our house when I was younger.

Mother: WOW that new thing is huge.
Mother: WTF?
Me: Alright 3 Mexicans and 2 Canadians a month,
Mother: What got into you my son ? (shocked)
Me: OK,OK 2 Mexicans , 2 Canadians and one Puerto rican guy.;)

It is not too likely that NTP will say something like this.

I think NTP can have a dark side also. But yeah I agree, NTJ might make jokes about child rape.NTP might also if you have to think about the joke, more complex layers.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think NTP can have a dark side also. But yeah I agree, NTJ might make jokes about child rape.NTP might also if you have to think about the joke, more complex layers.

That is true I was just saying that odds are that NTJs is more likely to say something like this. Since out centre of gravity is on shocking while you want humor to have more bonding character. (at least that is how it looks to me)

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

What nationality are you? I have a feeling this joke is even more tasteless than I suspect...

Like sub said, the NTJ humor is fun when we are all bantering, but then they just take one little step too far and freak everyone out. Hahaha... I find it funny. The humor I make is generally detached but then the NTJ will come along and make it personal and make it strike a nerve. But it's still funny as hell. Just a bit creepy.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I dunno, I guess with an NTJ it's like, "Oh that's low! You're awful!" "If it's so awful, why are you laughing so hard?"

It's less shock value as it is lack of inhibition on what to make funny.

Then again, I don't think AO is funny.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
What nationality are you? I have a feeling this joke is even more tasteless than I suspect...

Like sub said, the NTJ humor is fun when we are all bantering, but then they just take one little step too far and freak everyone out. Hahaha... I find it funny. The humor I make is generally detached but then the NTJ will come along and make it personal and make it strike a nerve. But it's still funny as hell. Just a bit creepy.

What do you think ?

I will tell you if you don't want to guess. I am simply wondering why you think that it is "even more tasteless".

Well we do that on purpose in most cases and not because we don't know that it is not nice thing to do. I don't do this on regular basis but sometimes everything just seems too perfect for me not to do it.

Qre:us

In my personal experience, out of all the NT's, I think ENTJs are the least funniest. :devil:

ENTPs can't help but resort to humour first, if they see that association being blatantly displayed. The workings of Ne leading....it's like a big neon sign, like the joke just begs me to make it. Usually, I snort/laugh as soon as I see the association, and then, determine, shall I say it or not? I dunno, it sounds weird but the humour makes itself, and I'm the first receipient of it, and then, I share with others...that's how my thought-process works for humour. And, ENTPs are good at twisting words to play to humour. Wit?

INTPs are the dry version of ENTP humour.

INTJs come off the left-field, and often times, it's very self-contained, such that, like others said, it might be :shock:, awkward, socially inappropriate.

And, ENTJs, to me, resemble almost SJ humour.

To add: NTJs seem to go more for the personal, while NTP go more for the detached. Anyone and everyone is applicable.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa

Just a bit creepy.

Jews in a fire are just as bad as Mexicans.

There is one INTJ I know that I really respect and admire. But occasionally I get the "creepy" feeling.....like if I ever decided to have kids, I would never let him watch the kids.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
There is one INTJ I know that I really respect and admire. But occasionally I get the "creepy" feeling.....like if I ever decided to have kids, I would never let him watch the kids.

He'd probably thank you for that.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
What's the foundation of truth for that one?

That I'm lazy and not fully awake right now, but still wanted to make something vaguely sort of not quite humorous.