• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] XNTJ humor vs XNTP humor

Qre:us

That I'm lazy and not fully awake right now, but still wanted to make something vaguely sort of not quite humorous.

Ah, lesson learned, not all foundation of truth can translate to humour. ;)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I do know that the INTJ Humor thread was the unfunniest thread ever. As I explained in that thread, sometimes INTJs just go for shock value to amuse themselves, but they don't turn their observation into an actual joke. So it ends up being something that amuses THEM, but no one else. I sometimes laugh at stuff INTJs say, but it's usually not when they're trying to be funny--it's when they've said something out of exasperation, and the way they phrased it was hilarious. Eh, it works. I like INTJs, but they're not nature's comedians.

INTPs like wordplay and reframing things, making the normal less boring, as Aderack was saying. We're funniest when we have a likeminded individual to play off of. We can be serious, but then we can't take it anymore and have to lighten things up.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I suppose I'm the only INTJ in the world that hates pure shock value.

I have to admit that I don't know any other INTJs in real life.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I do know that the INTJ Humor thread was the unfunniest thread ever. As I explained in that thread, sometimes INTJs just go for shock value to amuse themselves, but they don't turn their observation into an actual joke. So it ends up being something that amuses THEM, but no one else. I sometimes laugh at stuff INTJs say, but it's usually not when they're trying to be funny--it's when they've said something out of exasperation, and the way they phrased it was hilarious. Eh, it works. I like INTJs, but they're not nature's comedians.

INTPs like wordplay and reframing things, making the normal less boring, as Aderack was saying. We're funniest when we have a likeminded individual to play off of. We can be serious, but then we can't take it anymore and have to lighten things up.

I also think that INTJs come across as more amusing IRL than online. When trying to express shock value through text, something just doesn't translate. I guess it's easier to provoke negative emotions and amusement with shock value when you're face-to-face with someone, or with images.

That's why the funniest things INTJs post on this site tend to be things they found on Google Images, rather than writings they've made up themselves.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I agree with those saying that NTP seems to be more detached and NTJ more personal. I know that my sense of humour is personal and cruelty laced a lot of the time, and I also enjoy that in other people as well. The meaner and sicker the joke, the more I laugh. That's why I love Edgar so much. :cheese:

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I also think that INTJs come across as more amusing IRL than online.

True - I think NTJs are hella funny online but even moreso irl. It's just that one step too far business that has me cringe sometimes**. But overall, I get a kick out of them and also out of their dry delivery.

**and if it's one step too far for me, it's probably extremely over the top for non-NTs.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I find INTJs more funny if we're with several people, and they manage to offend at least a couple of the other people with their "sick" joke. Or if they try to pull a joke off in a totally inappropriate context. Otherwise, on their own I find INTJ jokes to be neither shocking nor funny. This is coming from my limited experience with the couple of INTJs I've known throughout my life.

nocebo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
INTPs are the dry version of ENTP humour.

You kidding? I'm a real jocular farceur! !

True - I think NTJs are hella funny online but even moreso irl.

My experience with NTJs is limited... but,
I did have this INTJ friend once. One day, we were going to a con, and I was dressed as the Mad Hatter. Except. Then my hat blew away, and as we watched it roll in the wind, she just kind of mumbled, "Now you're plain mad."

Oh man! It killed me... especially since she watched me crack-up with a completely serious expression. XD

You kidding? I'm a real jocular farceur! !

Prove it! :D

I did have this INTJ friend once. One day, we were going to a con, and I was dressed as the Mad Hatter. Except. Then my hat blew away, and as we watched it roll in the wind, she just kind of mumbled, "Now you're plain mad."

Oh man! It killed me... especially since she watched me crack-up with a completely serious expression. XD

:laugh:

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I will Americanize this so that everybody will get it. (or maybe they wouldn't)

We changed chimney on our house when I was younger.

Mother: WOW that new thing is huge.
Me: Yes it is. Now we have the capacity to burn 5 Mexicans a month.
Mother: WTF?
Me: Alright 3 Mexicans and 2 Canadians a month,
Mother: What got into you my son ? (shocked)
Me: OK,OK 2 Mexicans , 2 Canadians and one Puerto rican guy.;)

With efficiency measures we could increase throughput to at least 7 per month.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP

ha!

i had an INTJ friend in high school. one day, as we were walking home together, and i was doing my usual thing of running my mouth, not paying attention to my surroundings, i heard from far behind me, "wait up, and i'll walk with you."

i couldn't stop laughing.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
True - I think NTJs are hella funny online but even moreso irl. It's just that one step too far business that has me cringe sometimes**. But overall, I get a kick out of them and also out of their dry delivery.

**and if it's one step too far for me, it's probably extremely over the top for non-NTs.

Actually, not so in my case. Though NTP humor is hilarious..it's more likely to make me cringe than NTJ humor. It's why I started this thread. I was hoping to see why that was :)

It's prolly the Fi/Fe thing again, but I've found that it's harder to determine when NTPs are actually joking than when NTJs joke. And oddly enough, to me INTJ humor is often more detached and less directed towards a person than NTP humor. Maybe it's because of the sarcasm, or the fact that they, as you say, don't finish their jokes like you do? I have no clue :)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I also think that INTJs come across as more amusing IRL than online. When trying to express shock value through text, something just doesn't translate. I guess it's easier to provoke negative emotions and amusement with shock value when you're face-to-face with someone, or with images.

That's why the funniest things INTJs post on this site tend to be things they found on Google Images, rather than writings they've made up themselves.

I agree. The text simply does not have the strenght to do the job right.

I find INTJs more funny if we're with several people, and they manage to offend at least a couple of the other people with their "sick" joke. Or if they try to pull a joke off in a totally inappropriate context. Otherwise, on their own I find INTJ jokes to be neither shocking nor funny. This is coming from my limited experience with the couple of INTJs I've known throughout my life.

This is aloso quite true. Since they main thing is to shock people.
If you want to see me smile creepy situation are you only hope. So the creepiest thing is that this is the only thing that makes me smile.

With efficiency measures we could increase throughput to at least 7 per month.

If you are ever for another "potato" thread you know where to find me. :devil:

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
dry delivery

I agree with Tallulah that INTJs are not natural comedians, but this ^ is where I believe we do have a comparative advantage. I was going to wait to post the following until I had gotten home and could find the exact chat quote, but with nocebo and digesthisickness' examples this seems like a good time to chime in with the example that came to my mind:

ENTP: so what did you end up voting?
INTJ: conservative, again
INTJ: old habits die hard
ENTP: :laugh:

It's reserved for cool people.
Ones who don't find me dry, thank you very much. ;)

You're biasing your audience pick favourably before you even start! Half-assed! Get more confidence in your material. :D

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree with Tallulah that INTJs are not natural comedians, but this ^ is where I believe we do have a comparative advantage. I was going to wait to post the following until I had gotten home and could find the exact chat quote, but with nocebo and digesthisickness' examples this seems like a good time to chime in with the example that came to my mind:

ENTP: so what did you end up voting?
INTJ: conservative, again
INTJ: old habits die hard
ENTP: :laugh:

:laugh:

yeah, he said things like this all the time. out of nowhere, with a dead-serious look on his face. then he'd just look at me, dry as a bone, as i bent over laughing, which made me laugh even harder (and, he knew it would because it always did).

damn, wherever you are, donald, much love, cousin. i still say that line to people.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I tend to have a silly sense of humor. It doesn't come out very often but when I'm too tired and loopy.

It's often making observations about people I see with my friends. People talking generally. I make voices for what they're talking about.

Also I used to crack my friend up with this on going joke about a girl he liked in one of our classes. She had a very nasally voice and looked like a zombie to me, so naturally I called her "the dying girl". I said she probably had mold growing in her sinuses.

We'd look across the room at her laughing with her friends and then laugh to ourselves. Because who knows, could be true.

But another time, I cracked up at my own joke after we were walking eating ice cream sandwiches from a convenient store. He choked on his and then recovered, laughing. Then he said that was the best part of his day.

I then started making jokes, saying that his life must be in the dumps if the best part of his day is when he's choking on an ice cream sandwich.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
My attempts at humor are pretty lame. Usually obscure stuff, but when people do get it, they GET it and its like a shared moment of understanding where they know they're on the inside where everyone else is not. When they reach that point, they always give me a kind of half-cocked look of admiration and disbelief and then it passes.

Other times they're just plain stupid and based on some crazy connection that my brain made that no one else would think of. For example:

The other day some people were talking about their tree that leans over the house and I said 'You know what helps with that... V8 juice. You just dump it near the roots and before you know it, its standing straight again'. I was all serious about it, and for a half-second they nearly considered it before laughing.

Normally though, those 'brain jumps' of mine just end up in weird places. I instinctively kind of bring it all together and no one knows where the hell it came from... and even worse when I improvise or start talking before the thought is finished. Someone will be talking about a garden and suddenly I'll go "I should make some bread later! Jack will love it! You know, Jack FM? He's my friend, but he's a rude SOB..."

It went from Gardening to me thinking about beans and then beanstalks to Jack and the Bean Stalk to the radio station Jack FM and how I probably shouldn't make him bread because he's rude...

Even I sit back in those moments and go :thelook: