• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] Ne? problem solving

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
First, I think your Ne is constantly on overcharge or something. That's probably where most of that comes from. And yes, Fi would likely be better than Ti at problems involving human elements. And three, my Ti is perfectly capable of dealing with "fuzziness". In fact, that's kinda it's job. To sort out fuzziness. Possibly it could be that you are more likely to go with whatever answer Ne spits out, and your ENTP coworkers take more time to get a Ti model. If they went with Ne more, possibly they could be just as fast as you.

imo

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm with Costrin on this. I'm pretty good at using Ne and Fi to categorize people and using my Ti to predict the kinds of actions they'll make. I'm not really so sure how I'd do in a situation that analyzes the past, but that's because of my personal attitude of "Eh, I wasn't there, so I don't know." I tend to put value on personal experience. Anyway, once a very close ENFP friend of mine and I were discussing the potential actions of how a girl would act after being dumped by her boyfriend. He made a pretty accurate guess, but I clarified it with extreme accuracy.

He now knows to trust my intuitive predictions. =D

sculpting

First, I think your Ne is constantly on overcharge or something. That's probably where most of that comes from. And yes, Fi would likely be better than Ti at problems involving human elements. And three, my Ti is perfectly capable of dealing with "fuzziness". In fact, that's kinda it's job. To sort out fuzziness. Possibly it could be that you are more likely to go with whatever answer Ne spits out, and your ENTP coworkers take more time to get a Ti model. If they went with Ne more, possibly they could be just as fast as you.
imo

Thus they are constrained by Ti? Perhaps in these examples I do use Ne like mad, however is that because it isn't bound by Ti logical rules? It gets to jump the track to the fastest Fi tinted solution, which seems to be correct most of the time.

I know these examples/this question seems pretty specific but I am really digging at a more core question-a T/F question. It sort of came up on the Nfs understanding NTs thread. I dont mean to attack or be obnoxious or knock Ti in anyway, I just would like to try and understand more clearly.

It seems like the "superior/correct" answer for a problem to a thinker is one that is logical, precise, well defined and has well discrete steps that link each component of the solution together.

If I provide a solution based upon how I feel, my values, my gut responses, the answer is deemed questionable by a thinker, since I cannot call out those individual, discrete logical components that went into the solution. This troubles me a little.

I think there are certain types of problems NeTi or TiNe is ideal for addressing. They are clean, crisp, well defined, precise and logical.

However there are whole hosts of other types of problems where being a feeler I think gives you an advantage over being a thinker, even if we cannot explicitly call out the logical, discrete steps from one aspect of the solution to another. These in this thread are a nice place to start as they are pretty clean problems that are starting down the path of getting muddier.

So perhaps even if not "logical" by a thinkers standards, the answer is still superior to one proposed by a thinker?

sculpting

Here are some of the comments I am sort of mulling over from the other thread. haha I quoted myself. Please forgive if I grabbed one of your quotes and taken out of context they are not quite right, but they capture the essence.

Funny enough the entire discussion feels "lumpy" to me (my Ne) as there are pieces that dont quite fit together correctly, thus trying to pin the intial topic in this particular thread down a little more tightly to a specific kind of problem in a more reductionist manner.

I am sorry but I simply can't accept your claims without testing them. I am not even sure that I would be able to do this even if I force myself.

I guess my values do have "an underpinning of facts" (if I've understood that correctly) that I can call out to justify their logical basis. If they don't, sooner or later they're gone. If that means they aren't properly values, then I guess they aren't properly values.

jeff, how do you determine the logical connections between the values? What makes them logical if they do not have an underpinning of facts that you can call out that justify thier logical basis?

What you are trying to say is they make sense to you. Logic isn't relative. It's impersonal. This is a fine example of the conflict of interests inherent in the NT vs NF positions.

does Logic of the same relevance as values in a debate? Are both equally valid ways of argument and discussion?

No, I meant logic or values, though I don't think they're mutually exclusive.

Precisely. He's confusing logic with rationalization.

EDIT: this is why it annoys me when someone asserts something offhandedly but has no proof or reason. When I'm serious about something and have gathered facts and figures - you can't just tell me "but it doesn't 'sit' well with me", or it doesn't "feel right". I want to know exactly why you've made that assertion. I am not trying to refute you, I'm trying to learn from you (or share the truth with you).

Ti is pure logic. It presents facts to facts to facts for Ne to connect. They can be really clever and witty and fun, but it's factual. Can you make a Ne connection without the fact????

Fi is-well I dont know what it is-but not logical. It presents feelings, subtlties, shades of nuance for Ne to connect. pieces, parts of fluffy stuff that Ne ties together. With people it seems to present holistic stuff for Ne to connect. It skips over walls, boundaries and isnt "constrained " by logical barriers.

So Ne-Fi may figure stuff out that Ne-Ti can't?? I see this practically in troubleshooting the scientific instrument I work on. Given a problem I am way, way up high and I just sort of "feel" around until I find the piece that seems a little out of joint. Then I point to it and the problem is there. I am much better at troublshooting than most NTs for this reason.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Basically, I think it's the Ne that finds the "lumpiness", and other (judging) functions that sort out the lumpiness. Ne is faster because a lump is big, and sometimes it's "good enough" to just take out the lump as a whole. But other times you need to use another function, like Ti, Fi, Te, whatever to sort it out when it isn't as effective to just take out the lump as a whole.

It seems that you have more of a propensity to just using Ne alone and taking out the lump, whereas they want more of a clean operation.

You are Ne-monster. l2judgingfunction.

sculpting

Basically, I think it's the Ne that finds the "lumpiness", and other (judging) functions that sort out the lumpiness. Ne is faster because a lump is big, and sometimes it's "good enough" to just take out the lump as a whole. But other times you need to use another function, like Ti, Fi, Te, whatever to sort it out when it isn't as effective to just take out the lump as a whole.

It seems that you have more of a propensity to just using Ne alone and taking out the lump, whereas they want more of a clean operation.

You are Ne-monster. l2judgingfunction.

aye this does sound familiar. There are certain problems where i find the lump and then sic my NTs onto the problem as I cannot solve it. I think of it as being an english pointer. (is that what type of puppy I am?)

(whats a l2judging function? woof.)

However often I find the lump and then have to finish providing the solution as well myself. The muddier the problem, the better I get at this.

However thoughts on the bigger T/F problem solving?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
(whats a l2judging function? woof.)

Learn to use your judging functions, eh. ;)

However often I find the lump and then have to finish providing the solution as well myself. The muddier the problem, the better I get at this.

Likely because only you can see the lump because you can't adequately explain it without the use of a judging function. :p

However thoughts on the bigger T/F problem solving?

Ti wants to make a perfectly accurate objective model of the universe. Fi makes a model of the self and how things are valued in reference to the self.

Te and Fe make an external system for objective impersonal interactions (Te) or how people should act in various situations (Fe). It isn't concerned with being correct, just with finding a structure that works.

Ti and Fi can both deal with the human element, but an Fi person is likely to better at it, as it is naturally more inclined to do so, it would have more experience, more data to work off of. Fe could do so also by tapping into the social system of expectations. Te is probably least fit for this.

Ti is probably best at solving at pure logic problems, but Fi could also if it could create a personal connection with it. Te could by using "formal logic" or whatever system it has. Fe is likely least suited for this kinda problem.

Stuff basically.

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
ENTJ- Bouncing ideas off of others by striking up a conversation with them
and mentioning things that indirectly relate to it and trying to see if the co-
nversation ends up going that way.

Going out and doing something like shopping (don't worry not buying every-
thing to solve problems...lol I've read Shopaholic) I've found a lot of resour-
ces I needed to solve problems that way when I wasn't thinking about it li-
ke books or just something fun to do then when I'd be doing those things a-
nd had whatever the problem was off my mind a solution would pop into my
head because I wasn't beating my brains out.

Going out with friends...I try to think how I would solve the problem as if
we were solving one of the random little situations we get into.

And reading...sometimes I come across answers when I realize I relate to
a certain fictional character.

and last but not least, good old google.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
That an interesting point your making costrin about the Ne in the ENTP needing to be evaulated by Ti.

Kiersay actually talks about this in his book please understand me ii. He talks about the different temperments and one the interesting points he makes is how NFs use intuition heavily relying on it more than any other temperment. He says NTs use N in the same way but insist on backing it up with logic.

Almost like NTs make the jump from one idea to another then turn round too double check it works whereas NFs just jump and as long as it "feels" right they go with it.

This is quite interesting as I always asumed NTs were always 9.9/10 times the best at problem solving but i'm starting to see how wrong I was.

Out of interest happy puppy what kind of problems have you solved that NTs couldn't (at all or as fast)?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Do you love your job? Gotten invested in it? Do you find it valuable to create solutions? I'm having a hard time understanding how Fi contributes to problem solving per se other than thinking it provides motive. Ne provides insight; Fi motivates paying attention; Te organises...

Dunno. I'm slavishly following function descriptions in a bid to... to... something. Fi before Te is outside my experience, as is Ne.

sculpting

Out of interest happy puppy what kind of problems have you solved that NTs couldn't (at all or as fast)?

This is a good one below (few more earlier in thread). These problems typically are people contaminated, :
can I run two different software packages on the same scientific instrument with the same pc, on different assays without violating fda guidelines for a given assay in different labs?

There is a correct technical answer (yes), a marketing answer (maybe), a sales answer (yes, no or maybe) and a regulatory answer (maybe but it is open to interpretation and is the true pivot point)

So what starts as a clean technical answer becomes a mess of a problem requiring consulation of ten different individuals and different agendas. The pivot point is who you pick to consult with and understanding the background, motivations, experience, and base interests of each before you consult with them. Also when you walk in the door to ask the question, are they happy, stressed, moody, pissed, or overburdened with other projects? Maybe come back in ten minutes, two hours or two days instead? Fi helps out here, even if only with an accuracy rate of 70-80%. Ne kicks in by recognizing all of this almost instantly and finding the best "path" through the puzzle-from the very start, within 30 s of problem presentation and also giving multiple alternate possibile ways to navigate the path. The logical answer may not be the correct answer. Te dominates those who get in the way.

Do you love your job? Gotten invested in it? Do you find it valuable to create solutions? I'm having a hard time understanding how Fi contributes to problem solving per se other than thinking it provides motive. Ne provides insight; Fi motivates paying attention; Te organises...

Dunno. I'm slavishly following function descriptions in a bid to... to... something. Fi before Te is outside my experience, as is Ne.

K, typically the Fi motivates me to finish crap but it's not the key player here. I think Costrin is right in some aspects that I use super Ne. I dont have to be interested in the problem for this to happen. I am actually drawn to puzzles/problems neurotically, then I just turn the gooey stuff upstairs loose on them and see what pops up. Perhaps it is the lack of Ti, moreso than the presence of Fi. Although in the OP, I do seem to recall Fi having aspects of congruence it seeks out. Perhaps those "congruences" make Ne-Fi extra sensitive to lumps?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I would enjoy adding to this discussion too - I work as a computer programmer, not necessarily your typical INFP profession. :p.

My strengths - to capture needs requirements faster and more accurately than the other programmers in the office +. Solve client issues ++. Train clients in application usage +++. Sometimes, when listening to a client, I instantly see a solution to issues or what application will fit their needs. Very big picture focussed. I think that's the contribution Ne brings to the table. I love those sudden flashes of insight!

Anything that has a human element seems more of a challenge to many of my NT colleagues. Plus, I find that they always want to build apps from scratch rather than repurpose existing code, or heaven forbid, use a COTS application! I once customized and implemented a COTS solution in 6 weeks that a coder was prepared to spend the next 6 months programming, and the client loved the finished product. It is easy to get stuck in the weeds when you are thinking from the bottom up.

What my coding colleagues do better is ... code! I admit a loathing to pure programming; it can be so tedious to sit at the comp ALL DAY! And my brain appreciates a mix of function use. :) The pure coders always are so line-to-line focussed, but I like to use their strengths to align with my own to create a better product. We all need each other, after all!

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Sorry, but this post is my Ne-kicking in because I don't see what the big deal is, at least now with how certain assertions have been made.

If there's a problem and it gets solved, whether it be by an NT or an NF or both, there's no way to judge how a solution could be "superior" unless if there was some objective way to describe it or way to recreate and test the situation.

The whole topic is kinda iffy, so I'll try to break it down like this.
NT Problem-solving: It's like an instruction manual that tells you how to make a cabinet step-by-step.
NF Problem-solving: It's like telling a kid why the sky is blue when they don't understand the concept of light refraction.

That's all I've got for now. I can't break it down any simpler. In short, the "superior" answer is based upon what you're trying to do with the answer.