• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs at the gym.

Do you work out regularly?

• I'm an ENTJ and I work out regularly.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • I'm an ENTJ and I do not work out regularly.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I'm an ENTP and I work out regularly.

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • I'm an ENTP and I do not work out regularly.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I'm an INTP and I work out regularly.

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • I'm an INTP and I do not work out regularly.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I'm an INTJ and I work out regularly.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I'm an INTJ and I do not work out regularly.

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

juggernaut

Permabanned
It takes a... special... person to take the claim that I have an army of SJ gnomes seriously, or that any post with as much browbeating as I inject into mine could be something other than a grotesque cartoon of the MBTI stereotypes. The refrigerator story was meant to get some laughs, because it is stupid. Two people in this thread did take it the way it was meant -- funny, self-deprecating, and worth laughing about. Responding to something that is clearly self-deprecating humor with a mean-spirited jeer is just asinine.

And this may come as a surprise to you, juggernaut, but gnomes don't actually exist. Neither do SJs, for that matter.

Didn't you say something about being done with responding to me sincerely? I'll take it then that this must be another one of your stupid, insincere responses and treat it as such. You, sir, are in no position to talk about asininity. Almost every thing you post is overtly mean-spirited or has a mean-spirited tone. If you think the others were just joking, you're sadly mistaken. SF was not intended to refer to MBTI-type btw. If you think real hard you'll probably be able to figure out what it really stands for in this context. Other NTs caught it immediately.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I don't go at the gym since they are not "popular" over here.
But I do walk a lot so I am in good shape and I am not fat.

Jaguar

Apparently not. Juggernaut seems to be having some difficulty with the concept.

I have a fondness for satire.
The problem with satire is, unless it's understood, the opposite conclusion can be drawn.

You should have seen all the women who flipped out,
after they read Brett Easton Ellis' novel, American Psycho.
For Chrissake, the guy had death threats from women after he wrote it.

It was a *ucking satire!

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think I'll start flagging my posts with (IC) and (OOC). Evidently bragging, with thesaurus in hand, about having an orbital weapons platform doesn't seem to be a clear enough indication that I'm joking around.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
The moment I read the title "NTs at the gym" the thought that came to my mind was "I imagine they get injured a lot."

The NT's I know have a knack for repetitive stress injuries. Remember: your body should govern how to do the movement, not your thoughts.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
The moment I read the title "NTs at the gym" the thought that came to my mind was "I imagine they get injured a lot."

The NT's I know have a knack for repetitive stress injuries. Remember: your body should govern how to do the movement, not your thoughts.

Reminds me of my ENTP buddy.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

EDIT: I just read the second page and realized that this had turned into a shit-show :doh:

:popc1:

Kind of agree with this. I've absolutely destroyed my shoulders. It really sucks.

heart

heart on fire
SF was not intended to refer to MBTI-type btw. If you think real hard you'll probably be able to figure out what it really stands for in this context. Other NTs caught it immediately.

Does NT mean nutjob trekkie then? :huh:

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Holy crap, I hurt myself a lot when working out. My fingers seem to bear the brunt of it. I can never figure out why...

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Kind of agree with this. I've absolutely destroyed my shoulders. It really sucks.

Two years ago - I blew out my left rotator cuff. Shoulder injuries REALLY suck. Ligament/tendon injuries suck even MORE.

L

Lasting_Pain

I guess people expect NTs not to take care of their body.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Two years ago - I blew out my left rotator cuff. Shoulder injuries REALLY suck. Ligament/tendon injuries suck even MORE.

I can't bench more than 150 anymore. It's sad. My shoulders can't stabilize the weight. I can barely military press the bars. How'd you heal up? Did you need surgery?

L

Lasting_Pain

I can't bench more than 150 anymore. It's sad. My shoulders can't stabilize the weight. I can barely military press the bars. How'd you heal up? Did you need surgery?

Do you have free weights or a machine. I find machines to be better for working out.

L

Lasting_Pain

Machines are not always a natural movement which can actually increase chances of injury so I avoid them.

Oh, do you receive injuries easily?
If you do, than I will admit that I can receive them easily too and I have never had problems with my machines and I can bench 160 and up.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Eh, I've never injured myself playing a sport or while working out. I'm too much of a bitch to deal with getting injured. =D

But in all seriousness, I'm pretty durable and I'm a fast-healer to boot...although not as much as I used to be. I swear I could stab myself with a knife when I was seven and watch the wound heal like Wolverine. o_O.

And Jock's got a good point about machines, many of them don't allow natural movement to increase strength, but that all really depends on the machine you're using. I personally prefer free weights since you can actively control what you're doing and I personally find less risk of injuring myself while using them and I can move freely.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Oh, do you receive injuries easily?
If you do, than I will admit that I can receive them easily too and I have never had problems with my machines and I can bench 160 and up.

I don't actually, my shoulder injury was more a result of trying to lift too much too fast than being a fragile person. Otherwise I have considerable resilience. Also, everyone's body is different, yet machines do not take this into account and pigeonhole everyone into the same movement, which I do not like.

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I had to stay out of the gym for about half a year - and then I began working all muscle group except for the vertical push group (deltoids/traps/upper tris)

After a few months exercising the other groups and a fair amount of concentration on core work, I started adding in some shoulder stuff.

But not the heavy stuff, mind you. I'm talking the 5lb DBs. Using the granny weights was humiliating but I've slowly gotten my shoulders back up to where I can hang clean and press 45lbs with out pain - which is still granny weight.

the injury itself was over two years ago and I'm still not fully recovered yet. :steam:

L

Lasting_Pain

Eh, I've never injured myself playing a sport or while working out. I'm too much of a bitch to deal with getting injured. =D

But in all seriousness, I'm pretty durable and I'm a fast-healer to boot...although not as much as I used to be. I swear I could stab myself with a knife when I was seven and watch the wound heal like Wolverine. o_O.

And Jock's got a good point about machines, many of them don't allow natural movement to increase strength, but that all really depends on the machine you're using. I personally prefer free weights since you can actively control what you're doing and I personally find less risk of injuring myself while using them and I can move freely.

I have balancing issues, that is why I use the machines.