• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NT's in an NF culture???

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
So I started a somewhat-the-opposite of this thread thread over in the NF forum, "NF's in (N) TJ environments", and thought it'd be interesting to ask the reverse question. So, do any of you NT's find yourself working in NF environments? If so, how do you act or preserve your NTness in those environments? Also, just since I've never ever encountered an NT in an NF environment, if you are in that situation what kind of work do you do?

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, and please don't laugh too hard. I'm trying not to. NT's in a NF culture, that's utterly ridiculous... Well, maybe an ENTP somehow got into alternative healthcare or something...or maybe doctors without borders, or an INTJ that got a PhD in english literature. Just think "no you icnompetent morons, that is NOT how old english was pronounced!" j/k

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm an INTP in a majority NFJ environment (there are a couple ENTPs and one ESTJ, interestingly enough). It's a PhD program in rhetoric. It's okay for the most part, though I do get scoffed at for being too logical in some cases. I don't even try consciously to be logical (for fear of the scoffing), but I guess my way of thinking is thrown into relief when placed against the more highly valued intuitive thinking style. Let's just say I have to use my Ne overtime, and it still doesn't measure up to the better trained Ni of the NFJs in, say, classes that ask for advanced interpretation of fiction pieces, or the psychobabble of some postmodern or post-structural theorist or other.

One thing that is tiresome to me is the extreme Fe that's going on. I don't know if it's like this in less NFJ oriented departments, but it seems as though the impression that you give off to people through stuff like getting coffee with a prof and talking, exchanging friendly emails, and other external, relational sorts of things is more important than your actual work. I've been told on several occasions that one of the most vital ways of surviving the department is through meticulous "impression management." I have a feeling that in other, more NT based fields and departments, the work counts for more than the interaction. This was apparent to me when I took a history and philosophy of science class (chock full of NTs) and noticed that they are far more tolerant of silent (or quiet) people that just focus on their research.

Also, compared to other departments, mine is very intent on searing student's words to their identity. I mean that the words that you say in seminar strongly reflect how you are viewed and treated personally. They don't separate ideas from the person. Of course, you can imagine what a restricted intellectual environment this produces, as people are afraid of openly engaging ideas unless they are willing to personally commit to all the things they verbalize. There is no impersonal playing with ideas. The ideas instead reflect on your identity. I don't know if this is the result of Fe or not, but it's definitely there.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an INTP in a majority NFJ environment (there are a couple ENTPs and one ESTJ, interestingly enough). It's a PhD program in rhetoric. It's okay for the most part, though I do get scoffed at for being too logical in some cases. I don't even try consciously to be logical (for fear of the scoffing), but I guess my way of thinking is thrown into relief when placed against the more highly valued intuitive thinking style. Let's just say I have to use my Ne overtime, and it still doesn't measure up to the better trained Ni of the NFJs in, say, classes that ask for advanced interpretation of fiction pieces, or the psychobabble of some postmodern or post-structural theorist or other.

One thing that is tiresome to me is the extreme Fe that's going on. I don't know if it's like this in less NFJ oriented departments, but it seems as though the impression that you give off to people through stuff like getting coffee with a prof and talking, exchanging friendly emails, and other external, relational sorts of things is more important than your actual work. I've been told on several occasions that one of the most vital ways of surviving the department is through meticulous "impression management." I have a feeling that in other, more NT based fields and departments, the work counts for more than the interaction. This was apparent to me when I took a history and philosophy of science class (chock full of NTs) and noticed that they are far more tolerant of silent (or quiet) people that just focus on their research.

Also, compared to other departments, mine is very intent on searing student's words to their identity. I mean that the words that you say in seminar strongly reflect how you are viewed and treated personally. They don't separate ideas from the person. Of course, you can imagine what a restricted intellectual environment this produces, as people are afraid of openly engaging ideas unless they are willing to personally commit to all the things they verbalize. There is no impersonal playing with ideas. The ideas instead reflect on your identity. I don't know if this is the result of Fe or not, but it's definitely there.
That would be quite a mind F#@%.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think an ENTP would fare reasonably well compared to other NTs, especially in the NFJ situation :lol:. However, I'm pretty serious when it comes to work mostly, so there's probably a bit of a chance of alienation.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh, and please don't laugh too hard. I'm trying not to. NT's in a NF culture, that's utterly ridiculous... Well, maybe an ENTP somehow got into alternative healthcare or something...or maybe doctors without borders, or an INTJ that got a PhD in english literature. Just think "no you icnompetent morons, that is NOT how old english was pronounced!" j/k

Or maybe a single dad ENTP whose main means of contact with other humans is through the hugely female dominated population that congregates around kid-related stuff. Who homeschools his kids, and thereby comes into contact with a great number of vegans, vegetarians, religious people, people who live on boats and communes, eco-warriors and suchlike. And said ENTP finds himself feeling always like he's the asshole who's said something un-PC but can't work out what it was, and he has to walk around on egg shells all the time because there's never anyone in any group at any time whose values won't be violated by pretty much anything you could possibly say.

Yes people, welcome to my life. All I can say is that I must've done something really bad in my last one!

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have a hard time getting along with some of my friends with strong F preferences sometimes. It usually happens when I get into an argument with them, and their "argument" makes absolutely no sense to me.

I think that if I was in an all NF environment, I'd be disliked. Mostly cause I'm a fan of "tough love", which they probably wouldn't be fond of.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Or maybe a single dad ENTP whose main means of contact with other humans is through the hugely female dominated population that congregates around kid-related stuff. Who homeschools his kids, and thereby comes into contact with a great number of vegans, vegetarians, religious people, people who live on boats and communes, eco-warriors and suchlike. And said ENTP finds himself feeling always like he's the asshole who's said something un-PC but can't work out what it was, and he has to walk around on egg shells all the time because there's never anyone in any group at any time whose values won't be violated by pretty much anything you could possibly say.

Yes people, welcome to my life. All I can say is that I must've done something really bad in my last one!

Hahaha! I was just sitting here thinking hey you should talk to substitute as hes in a really similar situation. Then i realised i was you with a different avatar!

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
So I started a somewhat-the-opposite of this thread thread over in the NF forum, "NF's in (N) TJ environments", and thought it'd be interesting to ask the reverse question. So, do any of you NT's find yourself working in NF environments? If so, how do you act or preserve your NTness in those environments? Also, just since I've never ever encountered an NT in an NF environment, if you are in that situation what kind of work do you do?

you will generally find a NF enviroment in a church or some cult. :)
Thjose people just love bomb you until you shudder.

how to preserve your NT ness?

Tell them God doesn't exist and you are beliving in a lie.

Frank

I'm not sure that I could accurately predict what it would be like to work in an nf culture. I'm sure I could get alot done with the enfj's and the the infj's although the latter would probably prefer a more low key but still effective role. enfp's would probably have to be in sales or some sort of customer relational fun role. infp's hmmmm, I'm thinking something related to employee morale or light p.r.

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram

You must have been an INFJ...