• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Reason leads to conclusions, Emotion leads to action

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
emotions lead to procrastination, determination leads to action :)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well, I'm sorry, but crying has never fixed a problem in human history. :p ...
I beg to differ with you.

Three weeks ago when my husband died and a police officer was driving me to the hospital where they were going to officially pronounce him dead and I was bent over in half from my bowels twisting and cramping like nobody's business for God knows what reason... I burst out crying... and when I was done crying... almost all the pain was gone. So crying does fix SOMETHING.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
emotions lead to procrastination, determination leads to action :)
I disagree.
I've seen emotions lead to action.
Most fistfights are proof of that.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
I'm 100% positive I am an INTP and I'm 100% positive I have very strong feelings. I just have a very strong control over my feelings. I kind off assumed it's the same for every NT.

curious... that is sort of what i have, but i always considered myself a feeler for having those feelings in the first place.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Btw, assuming that ^ are A and B.

A - F is feeling as in feeling emotion
B - attempt at classificiation is a reality.

Neither are my thoughts. You inferred incorrectly.

Is illogical, given above premise.
Both are examples of the stated theory not, as you supposed, the opposing sides of it. F does mean feeling but it does not mean that feeling means F. Otherwise feelers would be less inclined to think and that's just complete BS.
I don't leave much for guessing, I'm a very no nonsense guy to people close to me, they know exactly where I stand. :) (In a positive light.)
Then if they still think you're a cold fish... illuminate :)
What's the difference though, between feeling and emotion?
ISFJ "You have to do that because you're supposed to". If F was all about emotion then there wouldn't be this strain of irreverent traditionalism running through it. It'd be more independent and individualistic.

Oh and that example is from a negative feedback ISFJ so it's not even about gaining approval particularly.
I'm an INTP with baggage. But trust me, INTP nonetheless. :)

(I switch between Ne+Ti and Ti+Ne a bit by the way. Around close friends and on the internet, I'm quite possibly ENTP instead of INTP in many ways. But I still remain INTP by nature nonetheless. As I am not always capable of maintaining Ne+Ti.)
High energy INTP, possibly positive feedback. Most people think I'm an E until they see my choices.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp

Three weeks ago when my husband died and a police officer was driving me to the hospital where they were going to officially pronounce him dead and I was bent over in half from my bowels twisting and cramping like nobody's business for God knows what reason... I burst out crying... and when I was done crying... almost all the pain was gone. So crying does fix SOMETHING.

I have heard that before too...emotional release is coming out to be a big one for T-types especially if they have the I...so for the IxTx

more specifically IxTJ

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I'm sorry that happened to you, INTJMom. That sounds like a very traumatic experience. :(

But you aren't really making a reasonable argument, so much as sharing an anecdotal experience that can only be interpreted in subjective terms.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ehm yes INTJmom, I suppose I should have said crying has never solved any of my problems. I lost a loved one as well, I did cry (despite it taking me ages to actually cry about it. Took me two years. >.< The first two years I basicly just drank, used and abused away. :/), I pitied myself afterwards. It may have been a play in getting over myself but in no way did it really do anything positively to me. In the end, it was my actions after I decided to move on, that helped me move on. And not the crying or sadness.

I understand it's not like that for everyone. :)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
But you aren't really making a reasonable argument, so much as sharing an anecdotal experience that can only be interpreted in subjective terms.
An accumulation of such leads to a system or theory like the MBTI. Which is more valid the acorn or the tree?

Qre:us

Both are examples of the stated theory not, as you supposed, the opposing sides of it. F does mean feeling but it does not mean that feeling means F. Otherwise feelers would be less inclined to think and that's just complete BS.

Again...what? Of course, we're trying to see if there's connection to MBTI given the OP....I thought that was the intent of the OP?

Where did you deduce that whatever I said would mean that feelers have 'less inclination' to think?

F does not mean feeling, nor does feeling mean F. F stands for "Feeling"...a term in MBTI-speak. And "Feeling" is abbreviated as F. This "Feeling" in quotes has a very specific definition according to MBTI, just as "Thinking" does...which....does not...literally translate to thinking (as we use the term, in everyday usage).

Again, I'm having a hard time understanding your point, and your point of what you think I'm trying to say. Esp. this:
Both are examples of the stated theory not, as you supposed, the opposing sides of it.

In MBTI, eight "things" have been paired off, i.e., dichotomized. E/I, N/S, T/F, P/J. Meaning, in the theory of of MBTI, the pairs are opposite to each other. I didn't say any more or less. Hence, me saying extremes...the true dichotomy. In reality, unless one is a robot, I don't think you have to sell me hard on the idea that "thinkers" can feel, as I never contested that. My point was (from the beginning) that "Thinkers", because they're predisposed to face situations through the "thinking" function, when faced with a situation that overwhelmingly calls for the utilization of a "feeling" function, would be more awkward/uncertain of how to tackle it, than a comparative "Feeler" in the same situation. Which, I called, 'less control'.

ISFJ "You have to do that because you're supposed to". If F was all about emotion then there wouldn't be this strain of irreverent traditionalism running through it. It'd be more independent and individualistic.

Oh and that example is from a negative feedback ISFJ so it's not even about gaining approval particularly.

Well, I think, the SJ has more to do with following tradition, than F...so I don't really get your illustration there.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Again...what? Of course, we're trying to see if there's connection to MBTI given the OP....I thought that was the intent of the OP?

Where did you deduce that whatever I said would mean that feelers have 'less inclination' to think?

F does not mean feeling, nor does feeling mean F. F stands for "Feeling"...a term in MBTI-speak. And "Feeling" is abbreviated as F. This "Feeling" in quotes has a very specific definition according to MBTI, just as "Thinking" does...which....does not...literally translate to thinking (as we use the term, in everyday usage).
You appeared to be inferring that feeling (ie F) indicated emotion, the two are not directly linked. If that reading is wrong you have by abject apologies.
Again, I'm having a hard time understanding your point, and your point of what you think I'm trying to say.
Xander said:
You're either wrong because you think that F is feeling as in feeling emotion (A) or you're wrong because you're thinking that an attempt at classification is the reality (B). A implies B does not imply that B implies A.
F does stand for feeling, feeling emotions is a common thought strain but F does not equal emotion.
-or-
We are told that this thing is an orange, ergo it is limited to being an orange however it was what it is before it was labelled and will continue to be exactly the same. The definition given reflects what is not the other way around. (Without perfect understanding room must always be left for the observations to be wrong.)
In MBTI, eight "things" have been paired off, i.e., dichotomized. E/I, N/S, T/F, P/J. Meaning, in the theory of of MBTI, the pairs are opposite to each other. I didn't say any more or less. Hence, me saying extremes...the true dichotomy. In reality, unless one is a robot, I don't think you have to sell me hard on the idea that "thinkers" can feel, as I never contested that. My point was (from the beginning) that "Thinkers", because they're predisposed to face situations through the "thinking" function, when faced with a situation that overwhelmingly calls for the utilization of a "feeling" function, would be more awkward/uncertain of how to tackle it, than a comparative "Feeler" in the same situation. Which, I called, 'less control'.
In such clinical terms you are correct but in reality such terms are never met. There are too many variables in humans for dichotomies anyway, the MBTI is being purely illustrative in that regard in my opinion. I have seen no great divide, no chasm to cross only those with their left ear pierced and those with their right ear pierced. Of course that is a difference but it's hardly as important or crucial as many seem to imagine it to be. My ENFP friend can analyse with the best of them, my ENFJ friend can cut people down with a few choice words like an NT would (though he tends to shout so perhaps an ENT). The type is never the person, only an indication, in general, of part of their psyche.

Also, and in combination, the MBTI does not indicate prevalence, only preference. Many people seem to be making that mistake in concept recently.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ehm yes INTJmom, I suppose I should have said crying has never solved any of my problems. I lost a loved one as well, I did cry (despite it taking me ages to actually cry about it. Took me two years. >.< The first two years I basicly just drank, used and abused away. :/), I pitied myself afterwards. It may have been a play in getting over myself but in no way did it really do anything positively to me. In the end, it was my actions after I decided to move on, that helped me move on. And not the crying or sadness.

I understand it's not like that for everyone. :)
Alcohol was sounding pretty enticing today.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alcohol was sounding pretty enticing today.

Trust me, it doesn't help one bit in the longrun. It might be nice occasional for some stress relief, but it's important not to get lost in it. Which is very, very easy to do. ;(

At least for me, since I had no one on my supporting side at the time. That may have been my downfall into substances at the time come to think of it. :yes:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get it now! Alcohol leads to 'action'! :banana:

...or did I miss the point again :sadbanana:

I think you're closer to the point than you may realise...

I'm assuming however you do realise it. In which case, best reply ever. *tips hat* :D