• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs: Argument outcome preference

What if your prefered argument outcome?

• Be right

Votes: 28 70.0%
  • Have everyone else think you are right

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Self-explanatory.

I would rather be right. Winning arguments even if I'm wrong gives me no satisfaction.

I consider your choice to reflect whether you would rather impress people or have certainty in yourself/the subject. Social values or knowledge almost.

EDIT: To clarify a bit (guess it wasn't so self-explanatory):
The second option means that you know you are wrong, but through tact have made the other party and your audience think you won.

juggernaut

Permabanned
I don't care about winning an argument as much as getting things clarified and understood. Probably a J thing.

Come to think of it, I don't care if anyone is "right". I just want all parties to be, roughly, on the same page.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd rather have everyone think i'm right as being right all the time would be boring.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My preferred argument outcome is someone learning something.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Retarded assumption.... what makes you think i prefer to win or lose an argument? Quite insulting to my intelligence and over-inflated ego, frankly. I don't care about winning arguments, that's for pissants who have a high "need for achievement" because they know they're stupid and don't measure up to ideal NT perfections.

I argue to seek for any potential truths, whether they reside in myself or another. that's it. need a 3rd "don't care" option for that possibility IMO

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
i'd hope the outcome was constructive, even if it had to be revisited sometime/a couple more times down the road for more clarity. Some angles/ideas probably weren't articulated well the first time due to the mood of the moment. And other newly learned things could be added sometime later that could possibly help reach a consensus.

All in all i'd hope that i presented my angle in such a fasion that didn't need any proof to back it because it was unarguable by nature. i wouldn't necessarily want to be right, i do however, would like the other party/s to see my argument as believable. This could be because i believe my argument to be so naturally truthful.

Jaguar

Neither for me.

It's not about being right or others thinking I'm right.
I don't give a shit.
I just want to spark a discussion.
To stir the pot.
To get people thinking.
Seeking what is true is what I'm about.
Being "right" sounds dictatorial.
That's bullcrap.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
There is only one preferential outcome for me when it comes to arguments: for them to conclude that I'm some sort of deity.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't mind admitting that I'm wrong. However, what really ticks me off is when I KNOW I'm right, but people think I'm wrong or they'll stubbornly stick to their point of view. Why won't some people admit they're wrong so we can just move on? Being right or wrong isn't the issue: it's accepting the truth that's important.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I prefer arguments to be insightful, and if they are, I'm quite comfortable with dragging them on without conclusion.

My INTJ brother seems to view arguments as strictly objective driven, and has said that he wants arguments to end as quickly as possible. Personally, I think this translates to "I wish everyone would just obey my orders", but that's just me.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I don't mind admitting that I'm wrong. However, what really ticks me off is when I KNOW I'm right, but people think I'm wrong or they'll stubbornly stick to their point of view. Why won't some people admit they're wrong so we can just move on? Being right or wrong isn't the issue: it's accepting the truth that's important.

Yeah, that mindset is not gonna help explain to them why they should agree with you though :p People know they are right all the time, even when they are not. And a good argumentator (is this the correct english word?) knows how a falsity can still be backed by a seemingly convincing argument...

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
EDIT: Nevermind.

I agree with what a lot of people have said about arguments not being about winning or losing, but that wasn't really what I was trying to get at with this thread. I probably should have come up with a better example or situation to use as a context.

I was mainly trying to see how much NTs here really valued social approval vs knowlege, since I suspected that asking it straight up would get biased answers here (I recall a previous thread on the pure topic that seemed suspicious). I went about it with a poor question, though.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
I can't stand arguments. The point is always to figure out what the heck is going on. Not knowing is what kills me.

Jaguar

You sound like me but the type you dislike is my brother.
Everything is either, "That's right" or "NO YOU'RE WRONG!"
And he doesn't say it, he yells it.
He's like some rabid attack dog who will argue about lint.
A single meaningless detail.
No depth. No vision.

lbloom

MBTI Type
INTP
Not attached to perceived outcome. I don't think I have a preference towards being right.

If the other people involved aren't interested or enjoying the argument, I draw my conclusions quite independently.

Vanitas

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't argue. It rarely works. : \

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Neither of the given options. my choice would be: don't care who's right, I just want to feel like we've both learned something. In fact, if I end up giving in and realizing I was wrong, that's even better. Not only did I learn something, but the other person has gone up in my estimation and will be considered a reliable and good quality sounding board from henceforth!

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
When I engage in a discussion, it is out of a compulsive need to challenge the convictions of the other party - it's not that I think I'm right, it's that I think that you're not entirely either ("Yes, but!"). I just react to what is thrown my way without having in my head a well-defined argument or a clear vision of what it is that I want to reach. Most of the discussions I engage in fizzle out and never reach a conclusion or aren't "won" by anyone anyways. My style can be very direct and intense, though, which might give people the impression that I want to convince them of "my" viewpoint no matter what when I'm just mainly playing advocate of the devil.

I guess learning something then.

I don't think that I would be good at/enjoy debate.