• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Single ENTPs

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I was thinking the past few days about how nice relationships sound in theory, but I can't reconcile it with my compulsive need for freedom. Are there any single ENTPs that regret being single? Are there partnered ones that have regrets about being in a couple? I'm just trying to figure out if happy long term relationships for this type can really happen or if I'm just kidding myself...

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
GoodTommyMoeder.jpg

Get yourself a girl so you could settle down!

Sure, mom, I settle down with a nice girl every night, then I'm free the next morning.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm a girl and am interested in men... But I'll take your idea to heart.

Fiver

MBTI Type
ENTP
Being in a relationship does not necessarily rule out freedom. I've been married for many years and I think there is a different kind of freedom in that.

See my sig.

Vanitas

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One ENTP I'm pretty close to is in a relationship she says she's happy in.
It's exclusive but they don't see each other that often and have their own lives.

And the man is 20 years older, for some reason my friend believes that the age gap makes the relationship sustainable.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I know that marriages have compromise and offer a different kind of freedom, but I mean it in the most literal sense. To come and go as you please while answering to no one.

20 years older? I can see how that could work if I was younger, but I don't think I could date with such a huge gap now. I'm not sure I would be able to date a man in his 50s.

Oh well, I guess it is what it is. I don't expect anything more out of life than what I already have anyway.

ring the bell

I wonder sometimes if I will end up old and alone. Where that used to have a negative connotation to it, it just doesn't anymore. Alone is okay! I can be happy and alone. I think I've spent so many years of my life trying to fit with my families ideals, societies ideals, and my own jaded ideals. Some people just think there must be something wrong with you if you are past a certain age and haven't settled down with one person. I feel as if I battled my own self for so incredibly long that I never really got a chance to see who that really is! It's a great thing to realize, actually.

I see it like this... that I am a highly unique individual. I'm special, great, amazing in my own right. Not just anyone will do. Someone has to be absolutely as stellar as I am if I'm going to even think of being in a long term relationship, or even, marry him. That can take time. OR it might never happen if I spend so much time looking for some specific that I don't see the big picture. So, instead of spending all of my time looking, I will just take comfort in who I am and live life as fully as I can. I've really met some amazing guys along the way but I just don't look at it with regret for not having settled down with any of them. Obviously, if it were meant to be, it would have been. I won't look for love, but I will welcome it if it comes along. I am, quite honestly, all I ever need! But who knows.. maybe I will be one of the ones lucky enough to find my better half :)

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
I see it like this... that I am a highly unique individual. I'm special, great, amazing in my own right. Not just anyone will do. Someone has to be absolutely as stellar as I am if I'm going to even think of being in a long term relationship, or even, marry him. That can take time. OR it might never happen if I spend so much time looking for some specific that I don't see the big picture. So, instead of spending all of my time looking, I will just take comfort in who I am and live life as fully as I can. I've really met some amazing guys along the way but I just don't look at it with regret for not having settled down with any of them. Obviously, if it were meant to be, it would have been. I won't look for love, but I will welcome it if it comes along. I am, quite honestly, all I ever need! But who knows.. maybe I will be one of the ones lucky enough to find my better half :)

I'm the exact same way. I work in a city that is overflowing with young professionals who have had it hammered into their head that the key to life is to seek any form of companionship at any turn. It's not uncommon to hear of women getting very aggressive towards men in bars who won't acknowledge their flirting. I just can't get my brain wrapped around such an obsessive need for companionship; be it instant gratification or some loveless long-term "business deal" just so your peers don't look at you like some kind of outcast.

But then again, all of the women I've ever had serious crushes on in my life were characters in books, so that very much creates near-impossible-to-attain standards since if people like that really existed I probably wouldn't read so much. :nerd:

(takes his INTPness elsewhere)

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I feel ya. I've always known that I would always be single and I am ok with it. Actually, more than ok with it.

But hearing about all these supposed great relationships are making me wonder what it's like, so I'm just curious if it's even possible to be satisfied and happy with another person... at least as much as I am happy being alone.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Jen, I just went shopping. THAT I can be in a long term relationship with. Shoes? Body Shop? Mac? Tristan? Heck yes.

But people? I'm not sure. I'm not even sure why guys would want to date me. Yes, when I'm truly into someone I will do my best to give them everything, but I still need my independence. Their trust is a crucial part of this scenario as well. Why would someone want to be in a relationship with another person who desired more autonomy? And then if you are lucky, you end up with guy who wants to "tame you" or "make an honest woman out of you." Yuck.

But yeah, shoes are awesome. Let's go shopping.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
I feel ya. I've always known that I would always be single and I am ok with it. Actually, more than ok with it.

But hearing about all these supposed great relationships are making me wonder what it's like, so I'm just curious if it's even possible to be satisfied and happy with another person... at least as much as I am happy being alone.

The way I see it most relationships are just four faces instead of two. When I was with my ex we were able to go out, socialize and laugh it up then as soon as we got home we were practically just roommates.

That leads in to my other problem: once it gets routine, it gets boring. The appealing thing about an unstable relationship is that it's like trying to juggle spinning plates forever. Gotta stay on your toes!

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
But yeah, shoes are awesome. Let's go shopping.

Twinkle!!! How come every time you get on, I have to run out the door?? Boo to you! Yes, I have quite a love affair with my shoes and they love me back and that's all I could ever really ask for.

But you are the cat's meow and don't you ever ever forget it!

That leads in to my other problem: once it gets routine, it gets boring. The appealing thing about an unstable relationship is that it's like trying to juggle spinning plates forever. Gotta stay on your toes!

You totally get me.

ring the bell

I'm the exact same way. I work in a city that is overflowing with young professionals who have had it hammered into their head that the key to life is to seek any form of companionship at any turn. It's not uncommon to hear of women getting very aggressive towards men in bars who won't acknowledge their flirting. I just can't get my brain wrapped around such an obsessive need for companionship; be it instant gratification or some loveless long-term "business deal" just so your peers don't look at you like some kind of outcast.

But then again, all of the women I've ever had serious crushes on in my life were characters in books, so that very much creates near-impossible-to-attain standards since if people like that really existed I probably wouldn't read so much. :nerd:

(takes his INTPness elsewhere)

Yeah, some of my biggest crushes have been movie star men. there's just an intensity and a depth that I require in order to be content that seems to be unreal on a lot of levels... except in the movies! I've had a taste of that fire before, so I know it exists at least. But now, I have to have it.. I couldn't even imagine being in a relationship without it.

I know what you mean. Maybe it will happen. Maybe it won't. But I do wonder too what it's like for those people on the other side of the fence. I think, though, it's not as easy as it seems. Look at the divorce rate. I'd rather know that I was absolutly with my soulmate, even if it took 10 years of dating to figure it out. Maybe I'm one of those hybrid people who never will know. I'll be that old lady smiling, reminiscing about all those almosts I met along the way.. but at least I'd be smiling.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
It's because NTP's are the most selfish types. So, relationships are particularly difficult.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Selfish with personal space maybe... But in my eyes, I'm wise enough to realize that and benevolent enough not to subject anyone else to it. :tongue:

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Selfish with personal space maybe... But in my eyes, I'm wise enough to realize that and benevolent enough not to subject anyone else to it. :tongue:

Yeah, yeah. I know. Personal space. This is code for "getting my way".

marmandahalf

I'm only happy in dysfunctional relationships. And even then, I think it's just advanced social experimentation. Romantic relationships fascinate me because it's a whole new set of roles and theories to test out. But I can't handle peace. Because then it's not going anywhere, y'know? Steadiness=routine=me out the door.

But then I'm very young and very very immature.

I like to think that I'm one of these: Quirkyalone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do you guys relate to this?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm only happy in dysfunctional relationships. And even then, I think it's just advanced social experimentation. Romantic relationships fascinate me because it's a whole new set of roles and theories to test out. But I can't handle peace. Because then it's not going anywhere, y'know? Steadiness=routine=me out the door.

But then I'm very young and very very immature.

Peace doesn't mean necessarily mean stagnate. Nor does movement suggest progress or excitement. False dichotomy. Question your fundamental assumptions.

marmandahalf

Peace doesn't mean necessarily mean stagnate. Nor does movement suggest progress or excitement. False dichotomy. Question your fundamental assumptions.

See: Young. Immature.

My fundamental assumptions are really only based off of two real relationships, and a handful of fragments.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
See: Young. Immature.

My fundamental assumptions are really only based off of two real relationships, and a handful of fragments.

Well, why do you have a problem with things being ...not dysfuctional functional? Do you want or expect to be hurt? So, if you elect to be in a relationship you know will never work you can save yourself from the danger of happiness?