• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Spotting An NT

Roflcopter

MBTI Type
ENFP
I don't have any experience with NT's. I have only ever met one in my lifetime, and she was my Algebra teacher. So how do you go about spotting NT's just out of the hallways (I am still in school) or, well, anywhere?

Xenofile

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
Well one way is to look at the eyes. I've been accused of having an intense of judging (the latter especially) stare. Another indicator (in my case at least) is to go into a large store, and look for someone who looks like they don't belong in human civilization, well this could work for INTJ's and perhaps even INT's in general, though I doubt it would help with ENT's.

Xenofile

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
I said it was in my case, and its a description I've heard given to other INTJ's before, though I did edit my comment to say that it was not inclusive of E's, as I have assumed you are based on your posts in the Misunderstanding ENTJ's thread.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you would have to talk to them to actually spot them. I've spotted a few definite NTs in my Philosophy tutorials, The temperament is quite clear when they express really objective ideas that seem to strive for the big picture. Telling how someone thinks from a distance is rather difficult, but you can probably see the effects of someone being an iNtuitive by watching them walk down the street. I've been studying peoples faces (and walking styles) lately, they seem to be so varied that I've discerned almost nothing as of yet. You've got to remember that intuitives make up ~25% of the population, so NTs are quite rare.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i just had to click on this thread to see if you were an enfp with that name! haha and you ARE! how funny...welcome...don't have answers for ya but from the signature gaze thread...it seemed the nts do have a very intense penetrating look in their eyes but who the hell knows.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Either get yourself some industrial camouflage or a pair of thermal-imaging goggles.
They won't come out of hiding easily but if you can either trick them into thinking you're not there, or can see the enormous lot of heat and light coming from their brain you shouldn't have much trouble.

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
i think their usual look is this unemotional detached sort of look, you can see it in their eyes

for me i have to talk to them before i can know, NT is very obvious to spot when you get to conversations

juggernaut

Permabanned
You know, I think a peek over at the sensotard moments thread would prove quite useful in helping one figure out what to look for when NT hunting. We're notoriously preoccupied so it's not at all unusual to find us doing any of the multitude of things described in that thread. Almost all of the INTs and ENTs I've known have had a sort of distracted way about them. The Es often say things that are incredibly off-color or offensive and the Is frequently take a bit longer to verbalize their thoughts than other MBTI types. I suspect both groups are doing the same thing though their behavior looks different. In both cases the NT is "trying out" his/her thought. The E just lets it fly out while the I churns it over in silence first.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
i practice type watching at wallmart and can definitively report that NTs are the ones trying to do everything at once but yet somehow are spotted in the same place they were 20 mins ago. They are also the most aware of the people around them, but yet, not really. In the produce sec they will be the ones who are enjoying the shopping experience the most, almost as if they are there again for the very first time.

And what juggernaut said.

Fiver

MBTI Type
ENTP
The dead give away for me is that 3 sentences into any conversation, an NT will begin to jump to an abastraction or theory. For example:

Sentence #1 "That was a great hit. Go Mets!"

Sentence # 2: "Yeah. That's his second double tonight. He's got a little pop in his bat."

Sentence #3: Yeah...Did you know that the difference between a hacker and a hall of famer is 3.5 hits versus 2.5 hits out of 10. Do you think that it is a purely physical phenomenom, as in athletic strength and timing? Or slightly different, as in an innate ability to transcribe the velocity of the ball and change the direction using an opposing force? Or alternatively, is it purely attitudinal: the batter is slightly more successful at striking the ball simply because he beleives he can? What is the effect of belief system on getting base hits consistently? Do you think that could be measured? If you measured it, would you blah, blah, blah."

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wait till they ask for a hand on the last rep, but make sure that you aren't doing all the work. Otherwise they might as well use a lighter weight.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i just had to click on this thread to see if you were an enfp with that name! haha and you ARE! how funny...welcome...don't have answers for ya but from the signature gaze thread...it seemed the nts do have a very intense penetrating look in their eyes but who the hell knows.

(assuming you're talking to me here...), What makes you think ENFP? My type has been difficult to discern, It's likely that I'm ENXP, Ne dominates. Fi is my least preferred function (as far as I can tell, but I don't have as much access to my subconscious as I wish I could have.) I seem to be using Ti somewhat, but There's a chance that I'm actually using tertiary Te and that I'm misdiagnosing my Fi as Fe. I'll look into the differences in detail sometime.

My name has no meaning btw, I am no where near being a king of despair, I like the words and the images conjured. I don't seem like the ENFPs that I know, but I don't seem to be able to see anything but Ne and an even mixture of F and T (although I score as a T, and with equivalent Ti-Ne in the cognitive tests). {EDIT}: looks like you could have actually just read ENFP instead of ENTP...

Sorry for hijacking the thread... :hi:

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
i practice type watching at wallmart and can definitively report that NTs are the ones trying to do everything at once but yet somehow are spotted in the same place they were 20 mins ago. They are also the most aware of the people around them, but yet, not really. In the produce sec they will be the ones who are enjoying the shopping experience the most, almost as if they are there again for the very first time.

And what juggernaut said.

:shock: What you said scares me a little bit, because I hate shopping, but that post made me realize that I like shopping for produce because I can potentially find perfection incarnate...in an apple.

NT's. A walking paradox. You know, your type-watching would make for a really interesting thread to read.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Oh dear.

And yes, I will stand and ponder the benefits of any uncertain item for minutes at a time. You should see how long I take going over the candy bars at the corner store.

Which one matches what I'm looking for? What am I looking for, anyway? Does this use real milk chocolate or mockolate? How much does it cost per ounce, compared with this other one? What does this remind me of? Was I going to do something else? What am I doing now? Oh, candy bars. Do I want a candy bar? Will it do me any good? Can I use the money for something else? Maybe I could use the sugar. Am I feeling tired? How can I tell? Would they cost less at another shop? Do I want to go to the effort of looking? What if they cost more? Oh, wait, this is new. Okay, I'll take this.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
This is probably more NTP, but the sort of person you spot in a public place, walking around as though they're not quite sure what they're doing there and where they're going.

Dark circles is always a good characteristic. Nocturnal brainstorming.

The females look slightly disheveled, especially INT wummenz.

The sort of person who'll frown at you when you smile at them and say, "Good morning", or perhaps return the smile with a slightly embarrassed smirk.

R

Riva

This is probably more NTP, but the sort of person you spot in a public place, walking around as though they're not quite sure what they're doing there and where they're going.

Dark circles is always a good characteristic. Nocturnal brainstorming.

The females look slightly disheveled, especially INT wummenz.

The sort of person who'll frown at you when you smile at them and say, "Good morning", or perhaps return the smile with a slightly embarrassed smirk.

+100

and weird walking. NTs walk in a weird way. so i have been told by a lot of people. :(

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(assuming you're talking to me here...), What makes you think ENFP? My type has been difficult to discern, It's likely that I'm ENXP, Ne dominates. Fi is my least preferred function (as far as I can tell, but I don't have as much access to my subconscious as I wish I could have.) I seem to be using Ti somewhat, but There's a chance that I'm actually using tertiary Te and that I'm misdiagnosing my Fi as Fe. I'll look into the differences in detail sometime.

My name has no meaning btw, I am no where near being a king of despair, I like the words and the images conjured. I don't seem like the ENFPs that I know, but I don't seem to be able to see anything but Ne and an even mixture of F and T (although I score as a T, and with equivalent Ti-Ne in the cognitive tests). {EDIT}: looks like you could have actually just read ENFP instead of ENTP...

Sorry for hijacking the thread... :hi:

haha...that's funny but no sorry meant the op person...their name is roflcopter! totally silly...thought it had to be an enfp. :smile: