• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How Many Layers of Thought Do You Have?

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Sup?

So, I've just been wondering if I'm the only one, but I'm aware that I have three layers of thought. It's very difficult to describe properly, since I don't think anyone's really thought about just discussing this casually, so here's an example to hopefully illuminate the situation.

Main/Conscious Thought: What the fuck is wrong with Doug?

???/Other: He's the kind of person that makes America a fucked up place to live.

Sub-Conscious: I fucking dislike that guy.

Blah, that doesn't really describe how it works so much, but in my mind, I've got my "voice," which is bolded, my true feeling and motivation, which is italicized, and this odd other layer of thought which modifies or clarifies my primary thought process. So I'm just checking to see if I've already lost it. How about you?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
1 layer of thought, I am loyal to and force on all people. its what I do

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've thought layers of thought are like this..

#1 I am hungry
#2 I don't like being hungry
#3 I'd wish not to dislike being hungry that much
one writer thought people are only capable of 3 or 4, though I'd like to find the quote.

I guess I spend most of my time thinking at level #1, a significant minority of the time thinking #2, and #3 when I guide myself to some new direction.

#3 is kind of complex and hard - especially when it considers feelings, so when I do it, I try to translate the ideas of layer 3 to the simpler levels.

sculpting

Once I learned about the different functions I realized I could treat them as almost seperate personalities in my brain and watch them converse as I try and make a choice about something.

At first I thought I was a nutcase, as I didnt notice anybody else talking about this. However I found a book by a Jungian psychoanalyst where they encourage patients to identify these "personalities" which can be much more complicated then simple functions, and learn to balance interactions among them, observe them, and understand what they are thinking and why.

In NLP they also use this same technique but I think they call it taking a "meta" stance (or something like that).

For me I can sort of sense Ne, Fi and Te in isolation, Te especially, but much more often they tag team: Ne-Fi or Ne-Te. The sum of all parts is when they work together.

As an INTP, you are Ti, Ne, Si... but the other intps would be better to comment on how that would express itself.

foodeater

MBTI Type
PINT
I've got a layer that is in English, one lower that isn't in English but is about to be translated, and one before I even 'decide' to translate it (my initial thought). The lower two are just ideas, no language, and as the thoughts progress through the layers it becomes more understandable.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Always two, at minimum.

I describe it like CNN or a news channel: a main picture and a scrolling text at the bottom. Sometimes the text is more interesting and becomes a higher priority.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Sup?

So, I've just been wondering if I'm the only one, but I'm aware that I have three layers of thought. It's very difficult to describe properly, since I don't think anyone's really thought about just discussing this casually, so here's an example to hopefully illuminate the situation.

Main/Conscious Thought: What the fuck is wrong with Doug?

???/Other: He's the kind of person that makes America a fucked up place to live.

Sub-Conscious: I fucking dislike that guy.

Blah, that doesn't really describe how it works so much, but in my mind, I've got my "voice," which is bolded, my true feeling and motivation, which is italicized, and this odd other layer of thought which modifies or clarifies my primary thought process. So I'm just checking to see if I've already lost it. How about you?

So you have a feeling that drives a judgement.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
my way of thinking is focused very much around intent and idea. i don't plan anything down to detail, but if there's something i need done, i will focus on the object or tool to get it through with.

example: in a meeting, i need to convince a person to side with me to win the favor of a funding organization. prior to the meeting, i have no thoughts about what to say whatsoever. the only thing i know is that i have to talk to him, and an overwhelming sense of self esteem.

i don't remember what happens during the meeting. i remember talking to the person, and the person being satisfied with my claims and reasoning. there is no trace of any topic in my mind. all i know by the time i exit is the full personality type of the person, and that i got the job done.

i do this with everything. whenever i start working with something, i have a general idea of where it is heading, and i go into a trance like state of mind where things just start happening. some would call it meditation - but would meditation be a state of action?

it should be noted that i have been accused/praised for using NLP subconsciously before.