• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs, do you have trouble falling asleep?

Do you have trouble falling asleep in an unmedicated state?

• INTP - Yes

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • INTP - No

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • INTJ - Yes

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • INTJ - No

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • ENTP - Yes

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • ENTP -No

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • ENTJ - Yes

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • ENTJ - No

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Mine too, fluff. They even nap throughout the day.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
perhaps NTs are the only types with a conscience that has to be tangible in a way. What i mean by that is a conscience that has to be seeked out. And when it is found, it keeps us awake at night trying to clear everthing up inside. Keep in mind as you all read my scribbles, a conscience is also something (dative of interest to us) that we use to be sure we are treating ourselves correctly. So you can even say that we have an even deeper conscience when it is visable to ourselves on the surface. I'll bet the deeper root of insomnia comes from thinking through everything but never finding what could be the source of the feeling that put us in that illusive waking thought pattern. I'll bet a conection with Fi has a big role to play in this.

Introverted Feeling

Ezion

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Nope. I put off sleep until I'm so tired that I my ability to function starts dropping, then I can usually fall asleep pretty quickly. I'd much rather not sleep, but I start dropping efficiency if I don't.

Over the last 2 months my body seems to have reconfigured itself for about 7 hours of sleep. I feel fine at that amount. Not sure if I want to drop it below that because of health concerns.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It usually takes me hours to nod off. I envy all my SJ friends; they nod off within minutes.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
ick! I hate it when it gets like that. People don't quite get it when you say you are so tired and you just can't sleep. "Oh, just relax" is what I've heard so much.... not so easy when your mind is racing, even if in gibberish.

I remember when my mom - Mrs Mainstream of like every decade since before she was born, white picket fences being all she aspired to in life, etc etc... she went through her menopause and started thinking she had one foot in the grave, so she starts thinking about "spiritual" stuff all of a sudden and, naturally (?!!?) starts reading Erich Von Danniken and similar charlatans.

So we're in a car one day and I said to her, "So how's the reading going? Any more revelations about the aliens building the pyramids?" and she says "Well that's the funny thing - I've had to stop reading those books. I found they just ended up making my mind go wild, thinking all these things in ways I'd never thought before, and I'd be going to bed at night and finding I couldn't sleep because my mind was racing with ideas about the universe and the meaning of life and thinking how there's so much more to life than I ever realized, and..."

And I'm just looking at her like :mellow: and she's like "So I've stopped reading them, I mean how is anyone supposed to function like that?"

I was like, :dry:

foodeater

MBTI Type
PINT
It normally takes me half an hour to an hour of laying in bed with no distractions to get to sleep.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've heard of these things they call 'micronaps'. Like, people who are regularly quite severely sleep deprived (*hands up*), cos your brain literally cannot function without a minimum amount of rest, if you don't get proper sleep it sort of forcibly shuts itself down for the occasional second or so, so you're like, to all intents and purposes seem to be awake, but in fact, every certain number of seconds your brain's shutting itself down fleetingly, to gain the energy to go on. Which, if there's anything in that (cos I can't remember the source), it would totally explain why people say to me "damn you I TOLD you that TWICE about five minutes ago!" and I really, honestly, I mean I rack my brain and I just literally, I'd swear under oath or even torture that they totally didn't, cos I have literally no recollection of it at all.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've tried that. I just end up reading in bed for three hours.

Or until the sun comes up.

I haven't been able to sleep properly for years without (self-)medication. Right now I'm sick and can't sleep even with it. I'm thinking of paying someone to hit me over the head with a shovel.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've heard of these things they call 'micronaps'. Like, people who are regularly quite severely sleep deprived (*hands up*), cos your brain literally cannot function without a minimum amount of rest, if you don't get proper sleep it sort of forcibly shuts itself down for the occasional second or so, so you're like, to all intents and purposes seem to be awake, but in fact, every certain number of seconds your brain's shutting itself down fleetingly, to gain the energy to go on. Which, if there's anything in that (cos I can't remember the source), it would totally explain why people say to me "damn you I TOLD you that TWICE about five minutes ago!" and I really, honestly, I mean I rack my brain and I just literally, I'd swear under oath or even torture that they totally didn't, cos I have literally no recollection of it at all.

I totally had that once. Due to work.

I worked on the most boring administration work for 3 days straight, 20 hours a day. Trying to make a very important deadline. And it was just numbers and numbers. I mean really awful boring shit for an INTP to do you know.

Eventually I just felt like a robot and also experiences short sleep lapses. Disorientation and such. Not tiredness though, I got past the tiredness. Just had a really narrow'd focus. As if there were parts of my brain that just went to sleep, only the parts I needed to input stuff stayed awake. That's pretty much how it felt.

Anyhow, the last day was truely awful and I vow'd never to do anything like it again. :p

Or until the sun comes up.

I haven't been able to sleep properly for years without (self-)medication. Right now I'm sick and can't sleep even with it. I'm thinking of paying someone to hit me over the head with a shovel.

Oi, doesn't sound very nice! Have you ever tried taking a night cap? (alcohol). Might help. Glass of whiskey or such, recently learned you are scottish. Good whiskey there. o/

I also particularly hate it when people say "Oh, when i go to sleep I just go think about nothing". How is that gonna help. When I think about nothing whole freaking philosophies about nothing surface. :D

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
sounds familiar Fluffy... I wonder sometimes about that. I mean if I can still function in a way that convinces people I'm awake and engaged but just a bit, you know, scatty - just how much of my brain could shut down before people start to notice? And that ties in with the ennui thread, cos if I'm doing this shit half asleep and not breaking a sweat, it's no wonder that on the occasions when I am actually wide awake and well rested, I feel like if I can't conquer the world, or at least a small city, I'll explode with pent up energy.

mind if I ask the reason why you're using those super quaint and cute old fashioned apostrophes in some of your past tense words? :cheese:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
mind if I ask the reason why you're using those super quaint and cute old fashioned apostrophes in some of your past tense words? :cheese:

They're just things that slip out of me, and that I hope to never need to explain. And I don't expect people to catch on to it either. But maybe subconsciously they do.

In this case, narrow'd, a word-joke to make my point. And vow'd to insinuate that due to my brain being mostly incapacitated at the time I might change my vows in the future, should I feel the need for it. :p

I know I'm odd. :D

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
Aww, I picked that I had no problem. I didn't bother reading that more than 15 minutes was having trouble. Anyways, I have about 30 minutes of time between me getting into bed and falling asleep.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I said yes, because it does take me longer than 15 minutes. However I just read or watch some TV and I can usually fall asleep just fine. Sometimes I can't though, for odd reasons. Seems too intermittent to be considered real insomnia though. I will, however, just put off sleep because I don't think I need it and can function on very little.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well in bed, I do not have any trouble sleeping. It's getting to the bed that is the problem! :doh:
I have a million things to do and so little time. Even if the things are just for fun, it feels like everything takes preference before sleeping, sometimes...
I have learned to cope with having slept for 30 minutes and then having to work for 9 hours, but it took some serious time. :doh:

I'm doing this shit right now... After this message and a liiiittle bit of lurking, i'm heading off to my nice, big bed. :)

And let's assume an unmedicated state, for those who would take sleep medication. :)

Trouble falling asleep means it takes longer then 15 minutes, sometimes much longer.

No trouble meaning you are capable of falling asleep in under 15 minutes regularly.