• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs, do people come to you when they have problems?

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I used to go to God with my problems... then I stopped. I think I need to start again.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the difference between intp advice and that of entp is that entp's seem to be more scattered. intp's anaylze everything and actually TAKE TIME to give you the correct and accurate answer whereas entp's see it a million different ways and are pretty indecisive and seem to work too fast to give you a correct answer (one quick answer will lead to another possibility that makes for an answer, goes on for ages)
and if anything, other entp's always seem to be in the same boat as i am, anyway.

ha, yeah, ENTPs can get themselves into trouble.

Look at it by function: Ne is all about seeing all the possibilities and following things in every direction at once, radiating outwards. The Ti is used to manage the "leaps" and judge what is just crazy talk and what is feasible to get from Intuition A to Intuition B. When it's reversed and Ti is in charge, it is seeking to create a comprehensive and complete model/theory that describes the situation and it has Ne playing the role of "fetch dog" to go out and bring back lots of possibilites so Ti can sift through the pieces and then put them together in a way that makes sense.

plus, intp's are i's which in some way, makes it easy for them to listen and hard for them to say no when someone does goes to them. maybe because a lot of them seem to be 'softer' compared to e's

That's interesting. What do you mean by "softer?"

(I feel like EPs are far softer, "I" makes the P more resilient -- the core of the tree at work there. Unless you just mean that with E's, you get everything in process where the I will hold itself back a lot and not be in your face.)

This.
But they never fucking LISTEN to me!
Stupid people. I'm always right too.

Heh.

First lesson of counseling:
Don't take it personally if the client insists on not giving a shit about your advice.

(Put another way, the knowledge a counselor gives can be too theoretical, the client has not "earned it" yet for themselves. Until they do, they tend to not follow it.)

I remember when a friend of mine was told that her husband was cheating on her, and she didn't want to believe it. Once she told me all the info (what he had said, what he was doing, etc.) I was like, "Yeah, that's garbage: He is cheating." But she wouldn't believe it, and no one else would believe it either (!)... I just recognized the pattern and the types of lies he was telling.

And i was right. That marriage didn't last much longer after it came out.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah I used to be like that, but I found the way to get out of it was just to give really bad and destructive advice.

Candid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My friends never seem to tell anyone anything about their personal issues. I've had a few people who confided in me regularly about their problems, and I usually dealt with them in an aggressively logical manner, but there's a softer side of me that gives into irrational feelings.
Those people who hang around me for too long and take my advice all the time turn a bit cynical and catch some of my bad habits. They're usually Feelers.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
I unfortunately don't get to play counselor with people. I'm open and ready to listen to problems, but I scare the mind out of people and I don't know why. I am very good at rationally finding ways to create feelings and boost them.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am in trouble and need counselling: pm me if free space is availiable !

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
INTPs are darn good but they are somewhat biased in the possible angles they suggest one to take in solving their dilemma. They're either dead on or half wrong in their calculations/diagnosis, yet the angles they do present are worth their weight in gold even when they are wrong. i'm only basing this off INTPs here. I only know one INTP IRL and she's F'n Wacko yet somehow very competent at the same time. Not competent enough for advise though.

Imo, the best advise i've always gotten was from ENFP and INFJ. But that last statement also comes from a full fledged ENTP:)

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Yay!!! Welcome to the dark side...

JENO! tx. I'll bet there's some truth to the ENFP dynamic. Just look at all those previous threads between the two. When all that dust settled, both partys seemed like they entered a moment of clearity after observing their behavior since all that soup cooler exercise. Problem is it will soon again need to be reenforced due to missplacement of the knowledge gained by way of cognitive noise. That or the experience was missplaced just because it was simply lost. That is where INTP has an edge. Objects can be invisible until they become interested again. Which would work out quite well with an ENTP in search of advise because an ENTP could easily add some sause (BS) to their story to peek the interest of INTP enough to gain INTPs angle to it.

But i'd rather go in circles with ENFP and then forget it all and then repeat to seek advise because, at the very least, it's not boring. And ENFPs are alot harder to gaf off once the insight was predictably (not conveniently) spaced off somewhere after. Probably because they provide advise in a romance novel kinda way.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hey professor....

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!?????

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
hey professor....

I think basically he said, you dont emit wisdom @enfp. And wisdom is the domain, behold, bold men claim, which dont know how to talk about emotions any way other (which absolutely doesnt describe what he meant)

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
hey professor....

It slips my mind. Care to go in circles and remind each other? Seriously though, i forgot most of the content but i do remember the atmosphere of the whole date in time very well. The atmosphere was quite meditative, if you will. I also memember that i gained alot of insight/advise from those threads i just seem to have missplaced the details. But yet, i should intuitively be able to fall back on my training:) Perhaps an INTP will leave premeditated hypnotic suggestions embedded in their advise.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm not sure but a horsestash may have been involved...could've been a rodeo of some kind...it was dusty...and the ne was ripe...could've caused the confusion..maybe it was laced...watch out for that shit....said the hidden intp.

or something. ;)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Pragmatism will get you nowhere in the NT forums, my lady

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
i'm not sure but a horsestash may have been involved...could've been a rodeo of some kind...it was dusty...and the ne was ripe...could've caused the confusion..maybe it was laced...watch out for that shit....said the hidden intp.

or something. ;)

oh right. The details are comming clear now. It's most relaxing to reminisce on this fond memory. What are you talking about?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
exactly!

but...would you rather be confused or bored? :smile:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
INTP give the kind of advice I'm seeking. They examine all the parts, they are not too dedicated to any particular viewpoint, which makes them excellent advisors. Usually my talk with them ends up with be being refreshed of their ideas, and having to stop the flow of thoughts at one time, "thanks I got it, I made up my mind now" :)

edit: like with anyone, me included, no-one delivers 100%.. and neither do INTP. I still consider them the best for many kinds of problems. Their detachment of feelings doesn't make them as detached from the influence of feelings as they would have you believe - detachment gives a kind of characteristic distortion, compared to just having feelings and acknowledging them. But yes, they are one of the best advisors. No-one particular, or no one type has the undisputed #1 spot for me.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
That friend I mentioned earlier -- I took her for sushi this evening, partly to replace some sushi her boyfriend didn't provide her the previous night, on her birthday. Over the course of a few hours we talked extensively and in some depth about her relationship problems. I mostly asked questions and pointed out similarities between things. At one point she began to take notes to some comments I just made off the cuff. When we parted, I think she took home a full plate of options. She was buzzing as I hadn't seen her.

That was splendid; it's not often I get to have such a straightforward, rational conversation with someone about a completely irrational subject.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
INTP give the kind of advice I'm seeking. They examine all the parts, they are not too dedicated to any particular viewpoint, which makes them excellent advisors. Usually my talk with them ends up with be being refreshed of their ideas, and having to stop the flow of thoughts at one time, "thanks I got it, I made up my mind now" :)

edit: like with anyone, me included, no-one delivers 100%.. and neither do INTP. I still consider them the best for many kinds of problems. Their detachment of feelings doesn't make them as detached from the influence of feelings as they would have you believe - detachment gives a kind of characteristic distortion, compared to just having feelings and acknowledging them. But yes, they are one of the best advisors. No-one particular, or no one type has the undisputed #1 spot for me.

Absolutely agreed.