• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] The role of argumentation in ENTPs

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
In effect, by giving you my mind, I'm giving you me. When you take that as some egotistical and infantile deliberate point scoring bullshit, it's like the biggest insult ever.

+1

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTP have to argue. They worry very much about looking incompetent. In my experience.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTP have to argue. They worry very much about looking incompetent. In my experience.

Hm yeah, maybe immature ones... but tell me a teenager who doesn't?

I'm pretty sure when the ENTP's hit 30+, there's a sense of "nothing to prove" now, and just honestly wanting to understand and dialogue with the world around them.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hm yeah, maybe immature ones... but tell me a teenager who doesn't?

I'm pretty sure when the ENTP's hit 30+, there's a sense of "nothing to prove" now, and just honestly wanting to understand and dialogue with the world around them.

You make a good point. If it is something I feel strongly about, I feel like I have to set things straight.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That Jen/Peguy exchange was brilliant. I do the same thing. If the "other side" does something clever, I applaud it and show appreciation. It's the INFJ way. The ENTP way would be to escalate and try to outdo them.

That was classic.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
You make a good point. If it is something I feel strongly about, I feel like I have to set things straight.

Yeah that's different - when it's something you feel strongly about, that you feel you KNOW, then winning can be important, but not for the puerile reason of just wanting to score points - but because you really care about this issue.

If it's something that I as yet have no real strong view on - which is an awful lot - and I'm just giving out my latest hypothesis to test it out, so to speak, which is what I'm doing far more often, then I couldn't give a shit about winning. I want to learn, to find the flaws in what I know already or put it into the right perspective.

That Jen/Peguy exchange was brilliant. I do the same thing. If the "other side" does something clever, I applaud it and show appreciation. It's the INFJ way. The ENTP way would be to escalate and try to outdo them.

That was classic.

If I say something "clever", the last thing I'm looking for is appreciation. I'm looking to see if I'm right. I think that's the fundamental P/J miscommunication... the J thinks what I say is what I think, period. Whilst in fact, it's more like what I'm thinking, and it's open to change each moment in light of new evidence, which is what I'm looking for in throwing it out to the floor.

If someone says something clever, my response of cross-questioning them is not about one-upping at all. It's quite the opposite - it shows I've actually been impressed by what they said and am considering taking it very much on board, but I first need to check it for consistency and how it fits into other things.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP

That was classic.

If I tell you how wrong you are, would you consider that escalation?

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7

That was classic.

That comes from passion

S

Sniffles

That was classic.

ENTPs are fun to fuck with, and overall I love them. I just hate the particular ones who try to act cocky when all they're really doing is blowing hot air. I don't mind the aggressive argumentation, as long as there's actually something behind it.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

That was classic.

I have great respect for someone who can point out flaws in my thinking because it means they are paying attention. I can't tell you how many times me and Synarch have gone at it on this forum, but have stopped to applaud each other. But that doesn't mean the debate is over... :devil:

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
You know, I thought she just meant that if you want to know how an ENTP sees something, don't ask an NF cos it's like asking a dog why a cat likes mice.

thank you. that's exactly what i meant.

ENTPs are fun to fuck with, and overall I love them. I just hate the particular ones who try to act cocky when all they're really doing is blowing hot air. I don't mind the aggressive argumentation, as long as there's actually something behind it.

just so you know, ENTPs don't like dumb assholes either.

as a matter of fact, the post of mine that started this actually speaks of stupid arguments.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have great respect for someone who can point out flaws in my thinking because it means they are paying attention.

Yes, you know that "show appreciation and applaud" thing? I really hate it when people do that, they've SO missed the point, it's like they're staring right at me but they have no idea who I am. Jesus, that's like when my kids ramble on about Pokémon and I'm sure what they're saying is perfectly consistent and correct but I'm not in the slightest bit interested so I just don't really listen then say "hmm" occasionally and "very good" at the end!! That says to me that you're not interested in what I think, not even enough to listen properly and have a response. And if you're not interested in my mind, you're not interested in me. Again, the ultimate insult. I'll find it difficult to respect people who do this to me, you know? That they can just be so dismissive of another human being sticking their neck out as it were, trying to share themselves? I wouldn't know how to be that cold.

If someone starts engaging with me and really, well you know, like that? It gets me really excited, it's like OMG, you're actually LISTENING to me, and you've realized that I want to listen to YOU too cos you're talking BACK to me! People like that can become like gods to me in my head. Sorta, heh. :D

S

Sniffles

just so you know, ENTPs don't like dumb assholes either.

I'm sure they don't, and I'm not saying ENTPs are dumbasses.

However, from my perspective many arguments presented by ENTPs(or even NTs in general) on various issues are often so thin I'm amazed at how easy it is to slice through them.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP

However, from my perspective many arguments presented by ENTPs(or even NTs in general) on various issues are often so thin I'm amazed at how easy it is to slice through them.

how the hell does any of your "cocky" bravado have anything to do with how we work, why we do anything, or even this thread?

go start your own thread about how much smarter you are than ENTPs or write about it in a blog.

you've got a lot of nerve running your mouth about others talking out of their ass and not getting to a sensible point.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Can you explain what thin means to you? You also mentioned that arguments shouldn't rest on logic... Can you clarify?

(please note: I am not trying to draw you into an argument - I'm genuinely curious)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In response to Substitute:
Speaking very honestly, you're right now that I've thought about it. I could not care less what you or anyone else thinks. It has about zero effect on me if you have not earned my trust and respect. I think absolutely for myself. I don't need anybody to tell me I'm right or wrong.

BUT I'm very interested in why you think it, because it shows something about what makes you tick. That's the part that's interesting to me. And if an exchange is pretty in the abstract, it pleases me, whether I agree with the actual points of view or not.

Not all praise is patronizing and not all arguing means you're being treated as an intellectual equal.

S

Sniffles

how the hell does any of your "cocky" bravado have anything to do with how we work, why we do anything, or even this thread?

This thread is about the argumentative nature of ENTPs, and I'm adding my own thoughts on the issue based upon my own experiences with this aspect of the ENTP personality.

go start your own thread about how much smarter you are than ENTPs or write about it in a blog.

My aren't we sensitive? Even after I clearly stated that overall I love ENTPs and I'm not saying ENTPs are dumbasses.