• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] Ne + MMORPG character creation

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I recently tested out a new mmorpg with my infj and to my initial surprise she told me that she hates the part when it comes to character creation and me :D. I never quite noticed, until I read recently on wikisonicon:

About the entp:

Loves prolonged preparations and therefore not inclined to hurry.

So the thing is, if it comes to character creation, I indeed can get far offtopic :D. The character creation screen will stay online as a background task on the computer, while I am surfing the net for possible combinations of my to-be characters abilities, traits and so on :D. Due to this there are two possible scenarios: the first one is me giving my infj a lecture about what she can possibly become by choosing this or that abilities :D. Or the second one is me needing like 2 hours to decide on possible abilities + having read a lot of information about it on the internet, which I by then have relayed 1:1 to my infj :D.

Thats fucking insane *lol*. I was never actually quite aware of me doing that. I wonder if there is a possible connection to be drawn, concerning that Ne loves to think or live for, or better, in the future ? :D

Qre:us

EH???

I got a question: what is the fascination with video and/or computer games? In all seriosity(!), I ask.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thats fucking insane *lol*. I was never actually quite aware of me doing that. I wonder if there is a possible connection to be drawn, concerning that Ne loves to think or live for, or better, in the future ? :D

Ne sees all the possibities and is looking for the "best one" that best expresses/fulfills the requirements, as determined by Ti. But you're more apt to explore than you are to try to make the model solid. Thus I think INTP would reach a conclusion first, whereas for you, you're more interested in following everything out.

I love character creation, btw; that's more fun that playing, usually. ("Playing" for me also is either "exploring the world" or "figuring out all the best strategies for each character.") My MMO behavior consisted of having all my character slots full of level 10-20 characters, because I'd 'figure them out' and then want to create another one... I only have ever leveled 1-2 toons up all the way in any MMO I have ever played.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I recently tested out a new mmorpg with my infj and to my initial surprise she told me that she hates the part when it comes to character creation and me :D. I never quite noticed, until I read recently on wikisonicon:

So the thing is, if it comes to character creation, I indeed can get far offtopic :D. The character creation screen will stay online as a background task on the computer, while I am surfing the net for possible combinations of my to-be characters abilities, traits and so on :D. Due to this there are two possible scenarios: the first one is me giving my infj a lecture about what she can possibly become by choosing this or that abilities :D. Or the second one is me needing like 2 hours to decide on possible abilities + having read a lot of information about it on the internet, which I by then have relayed 1:1 to my infj :D.

I will do the same. I will often spend more time theorizing/theorycrafting and spending time on forums discussing tactics and strategy of choices rather than playing my character.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ne sees all the possibities and is looking for the "best one" that best expresses/fulfills the requirements, as determined by Ti. But you're more apt to explore than you are to try to make the model solid. Thus I think INTP would reach a conclusion first, whereas for you, you're more interested in following everything out.

I love character creation, btw; that's more fun that playing, usually. ("Playing" for me also is either "exploring the world" or "figuring out all the best strategies for each character.") My MMO behavior consisted of having all my character slots full of level 10-20 characters, because I'd 'figure them out' and then want to create another one... I only have ever leveled 1-2 toons up all the way in any MMO I have ever played.

Hehe yeah exactly and thats intresting too by the way. I do it exactly the same way, actually in WoW I played 6 characters to around level 30 and then I started a new one. But not because I figured them out, but some other character caught my glimpse and I wanted to try him out :D. So the intp and entp seem to show a similiar behaviour but with different motivation.

I think thats why my infj is so pissed by the character screen at last. Because there are so many times we are looking at it :D

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
you freakazoid entropie! for a start, I don't do MMORPG's, but ordinary RPG's like Neverwinter and that sortsa shizzle I do. And I take like, ten seconds creating a character cos I tend to go for the same thing each time: lawful evil or chaotic good, barbarian or fighter/cleric. Male, human, random haircuts and shit, and put all the skill points on heal, intimidate, use magic item and concentration. Insert random name that I take from the ether, usually a swear word in some other language, and let's go!

If I'm watching a newb create a character, I just tell them that if they wanna know what something is, click on it, and then leave them to it while I get a coffee lol I figure, they'll learn as they play, what they "should" have done :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Actually I always end up with rogues myself :D. But then I see that level 50 Warden, who does a level 60 elite all by himself, barely surviving the fight but winning in the end and I watch me having troubles at level 30 to kill that level 28, I go all I need to try out a warden. Then after I played the warden to level 20 I figure that his offensive capabilities totally suck and he is not meant to be a fast killer, but is very good in endurance fights *zZz*. By then I probably already spotted an intresting mage.... :D

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP
EH???

I got a question: what is the fascination with video and/or computer games? In all seriosity(!), I ask.

Play the inspiration of my username, and you will soon understand.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
well, I've played EQ for 8 years on and off now, so I think just by spending that much time in that worl, I of course have come to my own idea concept for a class: psion/caller, somewhat similar to whats her face in ff3.

I CAN attribute that to Ne..... but other functions could do this as well.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have spent about 3 months of my entire life straight playing neverwinter nights and morrowind and about a month of that was on the character creation screens!

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have spent about 3 months of my entire life straight playing neverwinter nights and morrowind and about a month of that was on the character creation screens!

Ah with me it's the battles. Maybe that's one time, when gaming, when I'm more ENTJ-like. I'm very quick and decisive with the little details like character creation is really quick for me. But when it comes to the big battles, those are the parts I love, where I take all the AI off and totally field marshal it, painstaking strategies to minimise loss of life and resources on my side, whilst maximising them for the enemy! :Caesar:

What about The Witcher though? Cool or what?!

Gauche

Fack yea!
Im gathering information about gameplay and races/classes during downloading and installing, browsing forums and wikis you know, and then spend ages in character creation screen, trying all possible visuals, comparing chicks of each race, making my "dream elfess" and so on

Sponge

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
You guys ever play City of Heroes/Villains?

The whole game is the character creation system!!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You guys ever play City of Heroes/Villains?

The whole game is the character creation system!!

yes I played the trial. Always wanted to return to the game. I played an evil mastermind with thugs doing the dirty work :devil: :smile:

Gauche

Jennifer said:
My MMO behavior consisted of having all my character slots full of level 10-20 characters, because I'd 'figure them out' and then want to create another one...

entropie said:
actually in WoW I played 6 characters to around level 30 and then I started a new one. But not because I figured them out, but some other character caught my glimpse and I wanted to try him out

I completely satiated this hunger at instant pvp servers. You know, you have max level at the beginning, tons of gold, then you have vendors with superb gladiator and pve stuff, and you just walk around like in a supermarket and grab what you like. And then hurray into BGs or some raid to test new skills. Fack yea!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I spend a TON of time at the character creation screen. In fact, character customization (not only at the creation stage, but also throughout, collecting armor and everything) was my main impetus for playing games such as WoW.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I completely satiated this hunger at instant pvp servers. You know, you have max level at the beginning, tons of gold, then you have vendors with superb gladiator and pve stuff, and you just walk around like in a supermarket and grab what you like. And then hurray into BGs or some raid to test new skills. Fack yea!
+1

I like doing that in mmorpgs. Not overly much the mmo part, but the skill/build tweaking/customization bit. Sometimes I'll sit in front of a skill tree/stats calculator for hours. You sure this is just an Ne business? Or maybe I have abnormal Ne... :doh:

An ENTP gamer friend of mine likes to do research to figure out the best build etc before starting a character. He doesn't have many though... Usually just create a tank or a knight because he says those tend to be the strongest classes.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't really do that a lot. In fact, I'd say it seems like an annoyingly practical and reductive kind of focus that takes all the personality out of the character. The few times I have done it, it satisfied my curiosity but ruined the game for me (and thus I had to find another one), because I couldn't be satisfied with any one character long enough to play through more than the first level. And it would become a repetitive cycle where I would create a character, go through the first area, get bored, create another character, etc... until I got so sick of the first area that I never wanted to play again. But if that's how you like to play, well... then I guess it's fine. It sounds like it might be better for NTs.

I usually prefer to choose a character's race/class based on the kind of personality that implies to me, possibly trying to match it up with my own (or another I've got in mind).

Sometimes if a class/race conbination feels really unworkable or awkward, I'll go ahead and try something else. For instance, I usually prefer a Mage (because they're the most Introverted and bookish types)... but in some games, this is too challenging for a first character. So then I might end up going back and settling for a Paladin as my second choice.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Man I love creating characters. In MMO's I usually take a long time to level up because I like to make a variety of different characters to play.

I love making characters for tabletop RPG's too. I remember once I felt the urge to make up three characters for absolutely no reason. I already had a character that I was enjoying in a campaign that we'd played for a while. I just love making up characters. One day I just showed up and said, "Hey guys these are three characters I made up that I'm never going to use." They got a good laugh out of it. :)