• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT's and belief in a deity

As an NT, do you believe in the existence of God/gods?

• I am an INTP and I believe in a supernatural god of some kind.

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I am an ENTP and I believe in a supernatural god of some kind.

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • I am an INTJ and I believe in a supernatural god of some kind.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I am an ENTJ and I believe in a supernatural god of some kind.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I am an INTP and I am an agnostic.

• I am an ENTP and I am an agnostic.

• I am an INTJ and I am an agnostic.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I am an ENTJ and I am an agnostic.

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I am an INTP and I am an atheist.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I am an ENTP and I am an atheist.

• I am an INTJ and I am an atheist.

• I am an ENTJ and I am an atheist.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I've never thought about this, and would not classify myself as any of the above.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

juggernaut

Permabanned
If she meant the same thing, why did she ask "how" and "why" as two different questions? If I use the word "why" as a synonym for "how" I don't go through the trouble of distinguishing between the two. And how do you know what I would have argued 250 years ago? Have I given you any indication that I'm making an argument here from a consensus position rather than taking things on their own merits? I can't possibly have, because active disbelief in the supernatural is not the consensus position.

And whether or not we know how a thing happened or how a thing does happen is not grounds for agnosticism about deities. Here's a dialogue:
Man 1: I don't believe in storm giants. In fact, I have good reason for thinking they do not exist.
Man 2: How can you say that? I don't know how the red spot on Jupiter works, so we can't claim that storm giants don't exist. We just don't know.
Man 1: :huh:

We did.

This argument has been conducted illogically and in poor faith, with more presumption of my motives and defects than cases being made. I've no reason to persist in it any longer.

Yes, you've given several. Every single point you've raised has been raised in the literature on the subject by someone else. Nothing you've said hasn't already been said by a zillion other philosophers of religion. Your position is the default in every analytic department in this country. It reflects a fairly decent coverage of the available material, but nothing that is recognizable as original thought.

How and why should not be separated in ontological discussions (this is an ontological argument insofar as we are debating the existence of a deity and whether or not to believe in such an existence). While they are not, logically, necessarily connected in that as we can construct models of one or the other without logically relying on the other, the "why" often determines the "how".

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
How and why should not be separated in ontological discussions (this is an ontological argument insofar as we are debating the existence of a deity and whether or not to believe in such an existence). While they are not, logically, necessarily connected in that as we can construct models of one or the other without logically relying on the other, the "why" often determines the "how".

Very true. How and why matter in reasoning. It's logic based - this is how laws of nature and laws of humanity are defined. It's common knowledge that an object will fall to the earth if you drop it (how) and it's common knowledge that gravity is the reason (why). In a murder trial, we need to know how the suspect killed and there must also be a motive - a "why" - even if the motive seems ridiculous to some. This is common sense. Since I know neither the how nor the why, I cannot come to a firm conclusion. Others may argue that it doesn't matter to them, and that's fine, but it matters to me. And I was under the assumption that this thread was about our personal beliefs.

And we did not create the laws of astrophysics - we merely identified them and named them.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an atheist, not because I don't want to believe in anything. But because I find it more important to live my life the way I think I should live my life. I've a major authority problem!

That said, I have and do look into many forms of religions and the like for inspiration and lessons as to shape my subjective idea on how to best live a life. I'm sort of a perfectionist, in the sense that I try my best to do everything the way I think is right. But not in the sense that anything less then perfect is wrong. It's just important for myself to know I did what I knew was best at the time.

Through this, I've found my own purpose, my own reasons to live and my own way of life. My purpose? To experience. My reasons? To learn. My way of life? As rational as possible (for my standards).

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Well i'm an atheistic agnostic so i put atheist as agnostic is not a very well understood term!

Dietys just don't make any logical sense to me. Why believe in the christian judeo god but consider Zeus a myth? Take that answer and thats why i don't believe in any god.

L

Lasting_Pain

I am an INTP and I believe in God.

There I said it.

*wipes sweat off his forhead*