• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Does Sex = Love for NTs

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Seriously, I've never been able to listen to a single song all the way through. I just space out. I've a similar problem with jazz, particularly from the late '50s on. I'm sure I must have heard Stairway to Heaven dozens of times, but whenever it comes up I fail to recognize a note of it. I just... my brain turns off.

It's great if it grabs you.

Hahahha, I can't get through Stairway either. I don't care what you like or don't like, my tastes change with the wind. Just took exception to the fact that you compared carefully written and composed music to a jam session... But whatevs, live and let live...

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, fair enough. That wasn't the best phrasing ever. It's carried over from a discussion I had the other night, and I've probably failed to connect all the dots.

Music with any life to it tends to be either about tinkering with the form or about impressing people with your masterful skills. N versus S, perhaps. However carefully composed their music might be, I am inclined to slot Led Zepplin in the latter category -- alongside other performance-oriented music. Pretty much anything that makes people go "DUDE, LISTEN TO THAT SOLO."

I tend to think, yeah. That guy is... certainly playing a guitar, isn't he.

This is just the first thing that popped to my head, mostly because I can't remember any of it! I figured there must be a reason for that.

Last edited:

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Only on the NT forums would a discussion about Love and Sex turn into an analysis of music preferences

:smile:

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yes, fair enough. That wasn't the best phrasing ever. It's carried over from a discussion I had the other night, and I've probably failed to connect all the dots.

Music with any life to it tends to be either about tinkering with the form or about impressing people with your masterful skills. N versus S, perhaps. However carefully composed their music might be, I am inclined to slot Led Zepplin in the latter category -- alongside other performance-oriented music. Pretty much anything that makes people go "DUDE, LISTEN TO THAT SOLO."

I tend to think, yeah. That guy is... certainly playing a guitar, isn't he.

This is just the first thing that popped to my head, mostly because I can't remember any of it! I figured there must be a reason for that.

For some weird reason, I find your logic utterly adorable! :wubbie:

Although I have a very different viewpoint, it's not important to argue it. People are drawn to what they like and it's totally subjective.

But back to the sex=love thing, music makes me love sex so much more!! Somehow, when the music gets into me and is passionate and emotive, both my mind and body are both lost in a sea of feeling. That kind of unity doesn't happen in many other aspects of my life.

ring the bell

For some weird reason, I find your logic utterly adorable! :wubbie:

Although I have a very different viewpoint, it's not important to argue it. People are drawn to what they like and it's totally subjective.

But back to the sex=love thing, music makes me love sex so much more!! Somehow, when the music gets into me and is passionate and emotive, both my mind and body are both lost in a sea of feeling. That kind of unity doesn't happen in many other aspects of my life.

I feel the correlation between sex and music as well. Music has the power to turn me on AND to really intensify things when in the moment. I love having a good soundtrack going in the background. I feel music, and it really contributes to my being able to release myself over to utter and complete abandon.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Well, it is kind of relevant. Here's the reasoning, now that I've worked it out again. It was a few days ago that I last thought of this, so I'm a bit rusty. And this is going to conflict a little with earlier drafts, above.

What I'm drawing here is a totally false dichotomy, but let's go with it, between a focus on the message versus a focus on the messenger. In the first case, the performance exists to get the message across; in the latter, the message is constructed to provide a framework for the performance.

In case one, the song is "I love you". The performance exists to convey that song. In this scenario, there's a distinct air of figuring-it-out. Although the execution is a work in progress, that just underlines the effort and sincerity that went into the composition.

In case two, the performer is Sugarman -- and he's going to blow you away with a little song he's got for a time like this... a little song called "Love". This guy has it all figured out already, and he's here to get the job done. Because he knows what you're here for.

I think this is turning out more ridiculous than I expected.

What I'm saying is that you can prioritize performance as the object of the enterprise, or you can look it as a delivery mechanism for a more abstract subject.

Me, I'll go with something more like this:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZwMs2fLoVE"].[/YOUTUBE]

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm involved with an INTP who seems to be able to keep sex purely recreational - or at least, detached. I can't read her. When together, she is completely present and into the moment. When apart, she falls off the face of the earth. Question: is it easier for NTs to detach from the emotions involved in sex? As I said in a post elsewhere, for an ENFP sex + no contact for next few days = gasp!! Although, she does always return - on her terms...

I know this is a really old thread, but I feel a need to address this. It isn't about her "type" it could be anything. It could be her age. It could be what she's going through right now. It could be that she just doesn't like you very much, and I'm sorry to say that. Or maybe she's afraid of getting hurt so she pulls away before someone can pull away from her.

I am an INFP, and like most NFs I much prefer to have sex with love, but that doesn't mean that all the sex I've had was loving. I went through a phase when I was younger where I was definitely capable of casual sex. For me it was something I went through, but not a lifelong way of being.

My personal opinions aside, I'm trying not to put any of that here I swear, I seriously don't think this is ultimately a "type" thing, and should be judged situation to situation because different people have different motives for why they're doing what they're doing.

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
I feel the correlation between sex and music as well. Music has the power to turn me on AND to really intensify things when in the moment. I love having a good soundtrack going in the background. I feel music, and it really contributes to my being able to release myself over to utter and complete abandon.

I've been thinking about this for several months now. The seventies rock radio station he sometimes has playing in the background just pulls me in one direction and then another, depending on the song and the memories it might drag up from the depths. Silence is OK, but it doesn't take me anywhere (not to say that just being together isn't good). I can think of several CDs I'd rather have playing - all of them multi-layered with changing tempos.

I think it would be fun.

ring the bell

I've been thinking about this for several months now. The seventies rock radio station he sometimes has playing in the background just pulls me in one direction and then another, depending on the song and the memories it might drag up from the depths. Silence is OK, but it doesn't take me anywhere (not to say that just being together isn't good). I can think of several CDs I'd rather have playing - all of them multi-layered with changing tempos.

I think it would be fun.

I've found it's nice to build a playlist.. or a compilation CD. Music is definitly not a necessity, but it really can add to the experience. It's kind of like Pink Floyd's "dark side of the moon" and Wizard of Oz. Each are good seperately. But together, they take on a whole new meaning!

Last edited: