• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Te] My understanding of Te

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
So is definition of Te is.....

Organizing
contingency planning
risk averse
scheduling
put life and events into order
following schedules
goal setting
put life into order
chaos averse

please feel free to add more or correct me if I am wrong

redacted

Te = given what is tangible, x is true/false
Ti = given what I think about, x is true/false

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Te: for saying things that make people go "eww!"

You have Ne/Ti for that.

Te is a "Too much information!' kind of eww. Ne/Ti is "You're just making that up!"

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
Te = given what is tangible, x is true/false
Ti = given what I think about, x is true/false
INTJs have Te as their secondary function, but are notorious for their lack of amenability to tangible evidence that they are wrong about something. Te and Ti are not a predisposition to one of coherence or correspondence over the other in the valuation of statements, but probably denote whether or not the thinking function is used in an organizational capacity. Te is demonstrated among the top two functions for xyTJs (it is the primary function of ESTJs and ENTJs, the secondary function of ISTJs and INTJs), while Ti is more pronounced among xyTPs.

In short, Te is more about planning and executing than epistemological beliefs definition and determination of truth value.

Te: That isn't a stick up my ass, that's a small tree.
Ti: All of life is a beautiful system.

Last edited:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
This is probably a good place to put some thoughts I've had lately, is it right to say that Ti deals with chaos a lot better than Te, what I mean is Te reduces complexity (or disregards its existence) and by doing that allows or encourages the Te user to make long term plans. Does Te generally see existence as ultimately simple and stable (and therefore able to be planned and controlled easily), and the Ti user generally sees existence as ultimately complex and dynamic (and therefore hard to plan and control easily).

I have Ian Malcolm vs John Hammond from Jurassic Park in mind.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible

You have Ne/Ti for that.

Te is a "Too much information!' kind of eww. Ne/Ti is "You're just making that up!"

WTH:shock: I don't get it.

what if things don't work out as planned, then what you do?

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP

You have Ne/Ti for that.

LOL - I do get that.

Fortunately, it takes a hell of a lot to make me say "eww." I more often take off on a tangent (and make things up along the way - hell, it might be true).

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
This is probably a good place to put some thoughts I've had lately, is it right to say that Ti deals with chaos a lot better than Te, what I mean is Te reduces complexity (or disregards its existence) and by doing that allows or encourages the Te user to make long term plans. Does Te generally see existence as ultimately simple and stable (and therefore able to be planned and controlled easily), and the Ti user generally sees existence as ultimately complex and dynamic (and therefore hard to plan and control easily).

I have Ian Malcolm vs John Hammond from Jurassic Park in mind.
If you're up for anecdotal evidence, I'm usually the first person to be accused of the dread duo of materialism and reductionism.

But, hell, if I can affect a description of a system which captures all of its behaviors and explains them in terms of only the interactions between that system's constituent parts, then the onus is on the pious little holist to come up with a darn good argument why that description is "too reductionistic". If such a description is given and stands up to experiment, then the proof that the complicated behavior came from an ensemble of simple interactions is in the pudding. My delicious radical empiricism pudding.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you're up for anecdotal evidence, I'm usually the first person to be accused of the dread duo of materialism and reductionism.

But, hell, if I can affect a description of a system which captures all of its behaviors and explains them in terms of only the interactions between that system's constituent parts, then the onus is on the pious little holist to come up with a darn good argument why that description is "too reductionistic". If such a description is given and stands up to experiment, then the proof that the complicated behavior came from an ensemble of simple interactions is in the pudding. My delicious radical empiricism pudding.

according to daniel dennet there is greedy reductionism and 'good' reductionism

good reductionism uses a 'crane' ie: you reduce temperature to the kinetic interaction of molecules, but dont deny the phenomenoa of 'temperature'.

bad reductionism uses a 'sky hook' ie: you reduce temperature to the kinetic interaction of molecules, but deny the existance of 'temperature' (thus you view temperature as a sky hook building from nothing).

and yes, i tend to notice that TJs are much more reductionist/materialist in their descriptions of systems. The NPs seem to be open to reductionism too, but only after hours of debate and concessions :D (this is probably why NPs are more open to 'new scientific discoveries' that go against conventional thought than the TJs are)

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
That's a helpful distinction to draw, particularly since many people are accused of being proponents of a sky hook interpretation of things when they are really talking about cranes. And that's a strawman, whether one cares to reduce him to an anthropomorphic bag of canvas stuffed with dried grass or not.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ

Nup, I wouldn't say existence is simple or stable. I would say that I'm content to simplify what I say about why something is true. That's either a result of relying on Ni or a result of Te itself slimming expression down for efficiency. That's about all I know to say. Trying to make a difference between Te and Ti is mysterious to me beyond having made this joke:

You have Ne/Ti for that.

WTH:shock: I don't get it.

what if things don't work out as planned, then what you do?

Well, see, NTJs tend to consider everything "out there" to be fair game for chat. If it's not part of their inner-focused psychology, then it's "out there" and they can talk about it, especially if it's part of some kind of physical system. That's to say, they don't just focus on thinking about stuff outside themselves, they extrovert that thinking: they say stuff. And other people say, "Eww, what? No, I didn't want to know about your itch, thanks so much!"

But what NTJs tend to blurt out also tends to be true, probably because it's a product of Te, and doing whatever the hell Te does to promote true/false distinctions outside the inner-focused parts of the person. Seems like STJs do this too.

Illuminating? Probably not.

Maybe the best I can come up with is a recent thought that where Ti is basically solipsistic and follows truth connections from one conclusion to the next, Te claims conclusions rooted in a (probably) acknowledged physical reality.

But I may have just made that up.

deleted
The basic difference between Te and Ti is that Te is logic based on certainty and Ti is logic based on uncertainty. Kind of what Evan already said.

Except I'm pretty sure this thread isn't about the differences between the two systems, so let's keep Ti out of this for now in case of our Te list.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, for what it's worth, I was talking to a really smart kid the other day and trying to work out if she was INTJ or INTP. The INT is fairly clear, so I asked her, "Do you know something's true and try to prove it, or do you follow thoughts until you find out everything?' She said, "the former." I figured that suggested INTJ.

To take Ni out of the question "What is Te?" we need some STJs to comment.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Te: Logic with the supporting framework of empirical established fact, relevance, effiency.
Ti: Logic with the supporting framework of knowledge and underlying principles, aswell as in/conclusive constructs.

basically Ti is pure knowledge based.. while Te is only concerned with relevant empirical knowledge. Ti supports Te by building the methodology and facts for Te.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Te is the web, Ti is connecting the web with other webs." - Lemons

xD