• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTJ] ENTJ, how do you get back on track when you've lost yourself to your worse functions?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
My example goes here, an actual problem I posed here under a different title, and found a working solution shortly afterwards:

Part 1, the problem
I've got results sometimes pointing myself to ISTJ for quite some time now:

attachment.php

Too bad it isn't the sign for wonderous re-discovery of type. I'd make an awful ISTJ.

On the top of it, I feel really bad for my creativity having been so low for long time now, unless if it's about doing something the most efficient way.

Something is stressing me up and making me step away from my more developed functions. I feel like being in a loop.. ah, Ti loop, then.

The thing that disturbs me the most is my lack of daring and big-picture thinking. I've really been paying attention to miniscule details for few weeks now (part of schoolwork), but it isn't doing a good job for me.

I guess my feelings are a result of distressing period that have continued a few months now, surfacing every now and then and then going away. I'm having a tough time making all my chores fit in my schedule and maintaining a happy life on the top of it.

Suggestions?

Foremost, I'm looking to recover my big-picture thinking, and secondly, my bravery, optimism and the will to work.

The skills and habits are there, I just can't seem to get the feeling I need to use them. I feel so tired sometimes.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Part 2, the solution :D

Okay, thinking about this, I think I got the problem.

I have to reinstate my workout program, efficient household chores, make a new budjet and start pushing myself to do all the work. Healthy eating, hurrying to do my stuff again, plus making time for relaxation every now and then.

Getting out of the lazy mood is easy and required for this to work. I have to feel in control of myself and my work again, and it means preparation and sufficient ability for every task I start.

I need to switch tasks often enough to stay out of that Ti loop (or something) I've been into. I've gotten unresponsive to boredom, which is bad, as boredom is a good indicator of some task progressing, or not so.

I'll better start to continue on schoolwork etc in short enough time fragments. Usually what I do is interesting; if it isn't, I'm doing it wrong. I've abused the lot of free time I've had in the last 10 days to the point of throwing more and more time to meaningless tasks, instead of trying to do everything fast and trying to maintain interest at what I do.

So. I started the thread to ask you help me with this; but with it solved, all I can ask now, for conversation..

Your part: ENTJs, what do you do to get back on track when you've gone astray from your better personality traits?

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
hmm i want to know the answer to this as its school holidays and i have literally did nothing since friday!

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I was going to say "accomplish something" - set yourself a task, and do it. Whenever I get into a laziness rut, I just need to go out and get something done. That always ups my mood and makes me want to get more done.

But you kind of already answered your own qeustion saying the same thing! So, I concur. :)

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I suggest you take thje MBTI less seriously and just be yourself.:)

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
top four things to do when ever you are in a rut of not being productive:

1. get up early, even if you 'dont have to', just do it. put the alarm clock across the room and dont get back in bed after you hit the alarm!!! (if you have to, you can practice this during the day time a few times for a few days if you've been a chronic snooz hitter in your past). people just ARE more productive in the morning. i dont care what people say about how sluggish they are bla bla bla, if you get up early on a consistent basis you just ARE more productive...

2. block the internet (or at least part of it) download leechblock for firefox (very customizable! can have multiple block lists that activate diff days of the week, diff hours of the day etc...also a trusty 'lockdown mode' that you can just hit for an hour or two). Make sure to uninstall internet explorer too, just to remove the temptation (use add/remove programs--> windows components...its not permanent in case you're worried)

3. workout in the morning or by midday (say 2pm at the latest). either weights or 2 mile runs or less (any more and your running pace is soooo slow)

4. make to do lists. make sure they are written in the form of an action (that can be achieved at one sitting). So instead of "work on 15 page paper" write: "create worddoc, compile call numbers of relevant book sources via/ library website".

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp

that would be usually true, but hes (she) looking to get back to his old self because current life just isn't fulfilling him

been there...it sucks

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Part 2, the solution :D

Okay, thinking about this, I think I got the problem.

I have to reinstate my workout program, efficient household chores, make a new budjet and start pushing myself to do all the work. Healthy eating, hurrying to do my stuff again, plus making time for relaxation every now and then.

Getting out of the lazy mood is easy and required for this to work. I have to feel in control of myself and my work again, and it means preparation and sufficient ability for every task I start.

I need to switch tasks often enough to stay out of that Ti loop (or something) I've been into. I've gotten unresponsive to boredom, which is bad, as boredom is a good indicator of some task progressing, or not so.

I'll better start to continue on schoolwork etc in short enough time fragments. Usually what I do is interesting; if it isn't, I'm doing it wrong. I've abused the lot of free time I've had in the last 10 days to the point of throwing more and more time to meaningless tasks, instead of trying to do everything fast and trying to maintain interest at what I do.

So. I started the thread to ask you help me with this; but with it solved, all I can ask now, for conversation..

Your part: ENTJs, what do you do to get back on track when you've gone astray from your better personality traits?

So that is what Te is like, making time 100% efficient, forcing yourself to follow a rigid schedule and wake up early.......

nanook

a scream in a vortex
So that is what Te is like, making time 100% efficient, forcing yourself to follow a rigid schedule and wake up early.......

yes, thats it. even i do it. sometimes for up to three days in a row.
ah, that reminds me of something ...

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I was going to say "accomplish something" - set yourself a task, and do it. -- --

But you kind of already answered your own qeustion saying the same thing! So, I concur. :)
I woke up late today, went for 30 minute run around the city, and this thought popped in my mind: someone of my personality shouldn't wait for the right mood to do something, but instead do what's needed to get in the right mood. I don't actually really need to be in any kind of particular mood to start something I need.

Yeah, if I would get upset from ISTJ results. But my problem was in my reality, and I only used ISTJ results to illustrate that reality.

top four things to do when ever you are in a rut of not being productive:

1. get up early, even if you 'dont have to', just do it.
Absolutely :) My favorite thing.
2. block the internet (or at least part of it)
I haven't needed to, but I've written some personal restrictions over gaming and forums to the same effect. Astonishing, that's actually the same thing!
3. workout in the morning or by midday
OMG that too. I've used to run in the morning, max 30 minutes from waking up.. I can combine the shower needed in the morning + shower needed after exercising. It's good use of time and gets my motor running!
4. make to do lists.
Ohh absolutely. Those too. But I also do plans, schedules, and sometimes even contracts for myself. Making a decision in form of a legal contract for myself is a good trick to emphasize the importance of the issues in the paper. Silly, isn't it? :D

Schedule yes, rigid - heavens, no! I have fragments of schedule for different things I might use in different situations. For example, I have a full workout / exercise plan for 10 hours of exercise per week, but for the starters I'm not doing that much yet. So I try to live best I can, and fit in parts of that schedule in my day when possible. My schedule is mostly made on the fly, for the next day, with reservations for some unexpected events.

yes, thats it. even i do it. sometimes for up to three days in a row.
ah, that reminds me of something ...
I guess it's common for many types to "start doing something about it" and then get in the mood later. I just wonder, which types?

Should I be looking the opposite types from those which are said to be unable to act unless they've handled their feelings about the subject?

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Yeah, if I would get upset from ISTJ results. But my problem was in my reality, and I only used ISTJ results to illustrate that reality.

I think you were ecpecting to get an entj result or something similar(perhaps like entp or intj?)But you got istj instead and that is why you are making an issue in this thread.

Schedule yes, rigid - heavens, no! I have fragments of schedule for different things I might use in different situations. For example, I have a full workout / exercise plan for 10 hours of exercise per week, but for the starters I'm not doing that much yet. So I try to live best I can, and fit in parts of that schedule in my day when possible. My schedule is mostly made on the fly, for the next day, with reservations for some unexpected events.

Why develop a schedule if you are not planning to follow it?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think you were ecpecting to get an entj result or something similar(perhaps like entp or intj?)But you got istj instead and that is why you are making an issue in this thread.
Hypothesize all you want, but your hunches gave you a miss this time. My concern is not test-driven; it's reality-driven.
Why make a schedule if you are not chosing to follow it? Whats the point of making a schedule, then? Scheduling things itself is alrady a rigid behavior, because you are limiting your life into square boxes. What are you afriad of? Being too P and procrastinating. That you won't be an entj anymore and lose that false sense of invincibility?
It's a working solution I've made.

I haven't been happy with my results if I haven't planned my time; but I've found myself unable to completely schedule my activities in some more innovative pursuits, such as computer programming. It's just impossible to tell exactly when you'll figure something out.

I've got stress from my inability to keep up with fully planned schedule, and I've learned from some advisors it's best to keep about 40% of the time relatively unscheduled, or only weakly scheduled. That is to say, scheduled for whatever comes up, or the most pressing task at the moment, or relaxation, if that seems to fit best for that particular time.

So rather than give up, I've divided my time differently. One of my biggest problems is money, as I try to spend my time learning as opposed to a full time job right now. I don't get to know my work schedule until 1 week in advance, and I have to keep my schedule flexible for the most part. I've set aside time for tasks I consider obligatory; school on thursdays from 5pm-9pm, volunteer work on mondays from 11am to 4pm, etc.

Friday evening is a good time to meet with friends, so I'm in a habit of inviting them at my place for a movie. Other times haven't be so suitable. I don't do it every friday though - if I've been low on money or not in the mood for leisure time, I work instead or use the time with my gf.

I usually have calendar and a paper notebook with me on the bus, so I'll try to fill in the next few days however possible. I try to find things to do that are needed at the time, and efficient to do one after another (or at the same time). For example, shopping for some needed items in 3 shops that are close to each other. Or, configuring and installing 3 computers at the same time, so I can multitask.. searching the correct settings for one computer, while another computer is installing something, and the third is undergoing a stability test.

If I have to deliver one computer to the customer at one time, I prepare extra time. If the schedule is free, I wait for the right moment, untill I have such workload that will enable efficient working on many subjects at the same time. If I get a work that doesn't benefit for multitasking, I can work on it at any available time independently of other tasks. Sometimes I don't know what kind of a task it is, until I see it, demanding me to be flexible about it while still assigning some time to it.

Some things I have to keep fixed; it would be impractical to alter my schedule of meeting many of my friends at the same time, as it would require communication with many of them - and many of them have somewhat fixed schedules as well. Sadly, I've had to drop out some friends that cancel their commitments 80% of the time; it brought a lot of stress to my more responsible friends, when for example, we couldn't play a game of 4 person with 1 person often cancelling the game evening entirely.

Then, to add some flexibility to the thing, I've started to host more games that are fun with almost any number of participants. Movies, drinking and talking can be fun with any number of people, from 2 up to whatever.

I've told examples and examples. Different actions have different optimal modes of flexibility and rigidity. I plan my actions accordingly.

If I would not plan, I'd miss many of the things I do. I would not figure out nearly as efficient way to do things, and I couldn't host as many meetings with friends, and the arrangements would bring more stress for most people.

So, bottom line, planning brings an improvement for my social life, well-being, education and financial issues, while not making it possible to plan everything strictly. Everything a person does is an interconnected web of events, complex but somewhat manageable. The trick is to manage all items in the manner most appropriate for the whole.

Sorry for my long response.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
yeah totally, turn off your computer and go outside and play, and get things done, and play some more... just basically get up and go out and do real things in the real world. ENTx's are people who get a lot of satisfaction from making things happen out there in the world, we tend to believe it's important, it's part of who we are. If we're not doing this, it eats away at us and we go down in our own estimations, it's a downward spiral.

The way to get out of a behavioural spiral is to change your behaviour. It takes a big push to begin with, but then the momentum builds up again and you can keep rolling for ages :)

/veteran of re-motivating despondent ENTJ's :D
(it's easier to do face to face though :/)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yup, that sounds something like it. Outside, I've forgotten about that :D I feel so alive when going out with friends. Haven't done that almost at all for a few months. Well, the wheather here has been less than uninviting.. but.. yeah, gotta do some of that, yes :D

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Why make a schedule if you are not chosing to follow it? Whats the point of making a schedule, then? Scheduling things itself is alrady a rigid behavior, because you are limiting your life into square boxes. What are you afriad of? Being too P and procrastinating. That you won't be an entj anymore and lose that false sense of invincibility

I take back what I said, that was mean. :eek:uch:

If you believe using your Te will make your life better, that is good for you.

juggernaut

Permabanned
At this stage in my life, I generally just ride it out. I know the little demon that keeps the fire lit under my backside will inevitably resurface so I just enjoy the quiet time as much as possible until it passes. Sometimes it gets hard to be patient enough to let it run its course but I've found if I really try to beat it it just gets worse. While in one of those weird patches, I go through the motions of my usual ENTJ life only as much as is necessary (keeping the house clean, taking care of the kids, getting to class, etc.) but I don't take on new projects or "start" things though.