• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] I want to be deprogrammed

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Errrr...humans are animals. Sexual drive is a necessity in the survival of the species. If we didn't have it, it would be a dissaster as fewer people will procreate and we would have a law to mandate and pair people off to make sure its being done. Then we would have issue on being force to do something we don't want to do.

The difference between you and I, is that you see sustaining human life as an ideal. I do not, and think there's something more important than that.

Crude necessities that destroy and distort consciousness and self into a single, oppressive form that disregards a person's unique mental or emotional nature, are not something I will ever consider positive. Inevitable, perhaps, but not good.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Women are objectified for their bodies.
Men are objectified for their money.

And a lot of my friends try to warn me about men I meet, pointing out that he is only interested in whatever body part of mine he was staring at. I couldn't care less. That body part is no less valid then, say, my interest in his sense of humor. It works the same way with a woman who is interested in a partner's earning potential. You like what you like, plain and simple, and we are all just a sum of parts. If you happen to value one part over another, should you be demonized?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
And a lot of my friends try to warn me about men I meet, pointing out that he is only interested in whatever body part of mine he was staring at. I couldn't care less. That body part is no less valid then, say, my interest in his sense of humor. It works the same way with a woman who is interested in a partner's earning potential. You like what you like, plain and simple, and we are all just a sum of parts. If you happen to value one part over another, should you be demonized?

Yes. The thoughts and feelings of a person are the only parts that are really them. If you like something else about them, you're essentially pulling a thinking, feeling, conscious person into a role that an object, animal, or someone in a coma could fill just as easily. It means you essentially have no real appreciation for the fact that the person has a heart or mind, or at least very weak ones.

I think only a few people truly feel anything wrong with it, though. Some may pretend to see the problems in it in order to sympathize with me, but I think most of them don't get it.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yes. The thoughts and feelings of a person are the only parts that are really them. If you like something else about them, you're essentially pulling a thinking, feeling, conscious person into a role that an object, animal, or someone in a coma could fill just as easily. It means you essentially have no real appreciation for the fact that the person has a heart or mind, or at least very weak ones.

I think only a few people truly feel anything wrong with it, though. Some may pretend to see the problems in it in order to sympathize with me, but I think most of them don't get it.

But would you love a partner any less if he or she became severely brain damaged or suffered from Alzheimer's? My point is we are all parts, and all of our parts will deteriorate. Brain included.

I like wisdom and wit, but I acknowledge that my partner will be less sharp with age. If he likes my chest, same thing... Usually those that value a brain end up with those who also value one. Those that value a tight toned body, end up with those that value one. It works out, usually...

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
The difference between you and I, is that you see sustaining human life as an ideal. I do not, and think there's something more important than that.

Crude necessities that destroy and distort consciousness and self into a single, oppressive form that disregards a person's unique mental or emotional nature, are not something I will ever consider positive. Inevitable, perhaps, but not good.

Procreating isn't a ideal, its a way of life. Every species goes thru it in different ways. Your perspective that its wrong to have these desire because of a higher calling is subjective.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
But would you love a partner any less if he or she became severely brain damaged or suffered from Alzheimer's? My point is we are all parts, and all of our parts will deteriorate. Brain included.

I have to admit... I probably would love them less. Because to me, "they" are not there anymore at that point. They're just a shell with no real awareness of who I am, or what anything means. Essentially, I would consider them to be dead at that point.
Procreating isn't a ideal, its a way of life. Every species goes thru it in different ways. Your perspective that its wrong to have these desire because of a higher calling is subjective.

I didn't say it was wrong, I just said it wasn't good because of the fact that we're conscious and can think/feel. The thing is, I wouldn't call them feelings. I'd call them instincts.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I have to admit... I probably would love them less. Because to me, "they" are not there anymore at that point. They're just a shell with no real awareness of who I am, or what anything means.

I love your honesty. I would probably feel the same way. But it is shallow, just like leaving someone when their body fails them. Attraction can't be measured or judged. You just like what you like. What you do with that attraction - the distance you are willing to go for a person - is the part that I have trouble coming to grips with.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ

I like wisdom and wit, but I acknowledge that my partner will be less sharp with age. If he likes my chest, same thing... Usually those that value a brain end up with those who also value one. Those that value a tight toned body, end up with those that value one. It works out, usually...

I would have to agree. All do, talking about your chest all day would get tiring versus the ability to form a conversation with your brain. Belongs in the same catergory, but one is less diverse than the other. Hence the meaning of shallow comes to mind.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have to admit... I probably would love them less. Because to me, "they" are not there anymore at that point. They're just a shell with no real awareness of who I am, or what anything means. Essentially, I would consider them to be dead at that point.

I didn't say it was wrong, I just said it wasn't good because of the fact that we're conscious and can think/feel. The thing is, I wouldn't call them feelings. I'd call them instincts.

Instinct and feeling are two sides of the same coin. Just like voluntary muscles and involuntary muscles.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I love your honesty. I would probably feel the same way. But it is shallow, just like leaving someone when their body fails them. Attraction can't be measured or judged. You just like what you like. What you do with that attraction - the distance you are willing to go for a person - is the part that I have trouble coming to grips with.

Ah. You know, what's funny is... I can't even see why mine would be shallow. I can see how other people's would be, but not mine. If people really do instinctively value different things (like some valuing the mind and some the body), then it's not bad to me. It works fine. But if everyone is inherently drawn to the same things regardless of what kind of person they are or how they think, that's kind of disgusting. It's hard to explain why.

Instinct and feeling are two sides of the same coin.

Probably for an INTP, anyway. I think a lot of NFs would disagree with you, though.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Ah. You know, what's funny is... I can't even see why mine would be shallow. I can see how other people's would be, but not mine. If people really do instinctively value different things (like some valuing the mind and some the body), then it's not bad to me. It works fine. But if everyone is inherently drawn to the same things regardless of what kind of person they are or how they think, that's kind of disgusting. It's hard to explain why.

I don't find it disgusting to like what you like, as long as you are not false about it. Not everyone needs a witty wife. Maybe a man is not that intelligent himself. Maybe he just needs a wife that can cook well, everything else be damned. Who cares? I don't find that shallow, I find it honest about wanting your life to be a certain way and taking the steps to make that happen. It's honest.

I was head over heels for a professor of mine. All the girls loved him, even some of the boys, I suspect. He was in a horrible car accident and lost his ability to express himself. Mentally, he was a 2 year old. Physically able enough to move around though. Well, his wife left him. Is that really til death do us part? It's always shallow if you love as long as it's convenient to do so, imho. Everything else is fair game.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was head over heels for a professor of mine. All the girls loved him, even some of the boys, I suspect. He was in a horrible car accident and lost his ability to express himself. Mentally, he was a 2 year old. Physically able enough to move around though. Well, his wife left him. Is that really til death do us part? It's always shallow if you love as long as it's convenient to do so, imho. Everything else is fair game.

This got me thinking about something that happened to an aquintance of my dad. Heh, this happened before I was born but this is how the story was told to me.

My dad is a member of the round table and one of its members used to have a disability that made him very dependant on his wife and all. And it was pretty sad. So the members of the branch of the round table he was part off all chipped in so he could get some expensive surgery in Switzerland that could cure him of his liability. (Can't remember what it was exactly what he had, would need to ask my dad.) Anyhow, they payed for the expensive surgery and it was a success. He could do the things he wanted again.

Within a few months he dumped his wife and went on with his life messing about with one woman after another.

So, for some relationships, disabilities is what keeps them together, not tear them apart. :p

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't find it disgusting to like what you like, as long as you are not false about it. Not everyone needs a witty wife. Maybe a man is not that intelligent himself. Maybe he just needs a wife that can cook well, everything else be damned. Who cares? I don't find that shallow, I find it honest about wanting your life to be a certain way and taking the steps to make that happen. It's honest.

People who are openly materialistic/vain being drawn to other people who are openly materialistic/vain is one thing. That's acceptable to me. What bothers me is the notion that everyone is inherently attracted to the same things, regardless of their personal thoughts, feelings, or personality. I would also be bothered by the consequent idea that people who don't really like things that are materialistic/vain are thus forced to act because of pressure (against their will) as if they value those things even when they don't.

Ah. I see. I guess shallow behavior isn't what bothers me, then. Just people who value the physical nature over the mental and emotional nature. Well, not even that. The idea that everyone is inherently forced to value the physical nature over the mental and emotional in such situations, regardless of their own thoughts or feelings.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
So, for some relationships, disabilities is what keeps them together, not tear them apart. :p

Hahaha, I know... it definitely works both ways!

Ah. I see. I guess shallow behavior isn't what bothers me, then. Just people who value the physical nature over the mental and emotional nature. Well, not even that. The idea that everyone is inherently forced to value the physical nature over the mental and emotional in such situations, regardless of their own thoughts or feelings.

Yeah, ok. You value thoughts and feelings over the physical. I get that, and in my personal life, I also agree with that. I never feel forced to like anything, although I can understand how some people are brainwashed to like something. All the images that we see on a daily basis are just standards and ideals that most can't compete with on a physical plane. Intelligence and kindness are often underrated traits in our culture. Such a pity. I'm with you on the thoughts and *cough* some feelings... :tongue:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, ok. You value thoughts and feelings over the physical. I get that, and in my personal life, I also agree with that. I never feel forced to like anything, although I can understand how some people are brainwashed to like something. All the images that we see on a daily basis are just standards and ideals that most can't compete with on a physical plane. Intelligence and kindness are often underrated traits in our culture. Such a pity. I'm with you on the thoughts and *cough* some feelings... :tongue:

Ah, interesting. I never feel forced to like anything either, but I hear other people say they are, and claim it's because of instincts (although they might just be making excuses to do something they actually do want to do without being judged). But the other possibility you bring up is interesting... that it's because of culture or imprinted standards rather than instinct. It's kind of hard to separate that out, so I guess no one really knows for sure which case is which.

And then there are more questions... does everyone have exactly the same instincts? Do some people have stronger ones than others? And how much can instincts be affected by culture? It looks like there's a lot of potential for complexity here.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Ah, interesting. I never feel forced to like anything either, but I hear other people say they are, and claim it's because of instincts (although they might just be making excuses to do something they actually do want to do without being judged). But the other possibility you bring up is interesting... that it's because of culture or imprinted standards rather than instinct. It's kind of hard to separate that out, so I guess no one really knows for sure which case is which.

And then there are more questions... does everyone have exactly the same instincts? Do some people have stronger ones than others? And how much can instincts be affected by culture? It looks like there's a lot of potential for complexity here.

I think everything on this planet is affected by your culture - even the concept of good and evil. There are some cultures that value large women because it appears that they can cook well. There are cultures that value large men because it appears that they can provide well. There are cultures where a man can grab any woman's breast, but touching her hair is taboo...

But regarding, the OP it all comes down to procreating and selecting the best genetic traits that you want in your offspring, and choosing the best mate to care/provide for your offspring. It's innate and none of it is 'wrong'.

We cannot transcend the beasts that we are.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think everything on this planet is affected by your culture - even the concept of good and evil. There are some cultures that value large women because it appears that they can cook well. There are cultures that value large men because it appears that they can provide well. There are cultures where a man can grab any woman's breast, but touching her hair is taboo...

It looks like we agree here...
But regarding, the OP it all comes down to procreating and selecting the best genetic traits that you want in your offspring, and choosing the best mate to care/provide for your offspring. It's innate and none of it is 'wrong'.

We cannot transcend the beasts that we are.

But now it looks like you went back and reaffirmed that everyone has the same innate traits without variation, regardless of how they think or feel?

Lethal Sage

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Too bad it's too late to become a eunuch, but there's always castration.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
But now it looks like you went back and reaffirmed that everyone has the same innate traits without variation, regardless of how they think or feel?

What I mean to say is the actual values that we find attractive differ from culture to culture (through customs, brainwashing, etc...) but the end result is all the same. You value x and I value y because we want to get laid and we want our offspring to be a certain way and maintain a certain lifestyle. That particular lifestyle that we desire for our offspring, is the one in which our parents instilled in us - and this is where the values come in.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What I mean to say is the actual values that we find attractive differ from culture to culture (through customs, brainwashing, etc...) but the end result is all the same. You value x and I value y because we want to get laid and we want our offspring to be a certain way and maintain a certain lifestyle. That particular lifestyle that we desire for our offspring, is the one in which our parents instilled in us - and this is where the values come in.

Ah, okay. Now I think I get it. That's not as bad, then. It sounds like there's more room in that for individual differences and personalities.