• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Does the world hate INTP's? All types welcome.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Wanker. Now to speak in talk that might be dumb enough for the rest of the world to understand: B N1Ys Na0, 0r 1 gun T4k 4way 411 yur pr0n.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
People (once they get to know me) tend to like me a lot.

I've had jobs in retail where people refused to shop unless I was working because I was so nice and helpful.

To the rest of the world I'm just invisible. Like air. Do you hate air? How can anyone hate air? Air is awesome!

Except for the air that killed my parents.

Shelovesyoumaybe

MBTI Type
INFP
I am an INTP, and I have come to the conclusion that at least 90% of people hate me. Is this congruous with what you other INTP's experience? Other types chime in as well. Keep it clean and on topic.

ILOVEYOU!

No, seriously. I love INTPs. Some of them are a-holes and I hate them while loving them, but I still love them all the same.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
ILOVEYOU!

No, seriously. I love INTPs. Some of them are a-holes and I hate them while loving them, but I still love them all the same.

That's just because you're an F, an NF at that ;) .

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
It can be easy to feel out-of-touch and trodden-over, especially when you're young. The INTP's traits are just about converse to mainstream expectations -- that of the outgoing, observant, decisive, obedient bundle of energy.

If you've got problems, then my suggestion is to change your scene. You know what you need better than anyone else does -- even if you don't rationally know at all. Screw anyone who demands that you justify yourself. Seek out interesting people who will accept and appreciate you at face value.

It's actually not as hard as it sounds; scanning doesn't take much energy. Ne is pretty good at picking up jibe-vibes. You should know pretty quickly when a scene or a person isn't working. If it's a no-go, be polite and look elsewhere.

I found a cafe thirty seconds from my apartment where, as my friend put it, everyone loves me. Sometimes a bit more than I'd prefer, but hey.

One doesn't need much.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I am an INTP, and I have come to the conclusion that at least 90% of people hate me. Is this congruous with what you other INTP's experience? Other types chime in as well. Keep it clean and on topic.

Depends on what you consider the world.

I think ESxx types probably hate them, but then they hate most Introverts. ISxx and ENxx types are kind of a throw up, and I'm pretty sure that INxx and xNTx like them a lot.

I like INTPs most of the time, but they can be creepy when they start showing more emotions, because those feelings tend to come out in freaky, unpredictable, unnerving ways (especially if their F is underdeveloped). As long as they stay in their normal, detached mode... they're fine.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Depends on what you consider the world.

I think ESxx types probably hate them, but then they hate most Introverts. ISxx and ENxx types are kind of a throw up, and I'm pretty sure that INxx and xNTx like them a lot.

I like INTPs most of the time, but they can be creepy when they start showing more emotions, because those feelings tend to come out in freaky, unpredictable, unnerving ways (especially if their F is underdeveloped). As long as they stay in their normal, detached mode... they're fine.

Lol. I think the immature F tends to scare a lot of people. Hence, most of the world would condemn us to being detached robotic specters. Or, the INTP can choose to get in touch with that F side and let it develop, despite the blows they may take from those in society who are less appreciative of their innocent Fi.

Galusha

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7?
my mum's an INTP. I hated her when I was in high school, of course, but now I realize that she was a way cooler person than I ever gave her credit for. I had trouble distinguishing what she said and how she acted from what she actually did, which was where all of the awesome came out. so now I love INTPs.

generally speaking, though, people are just hesitant around them because they're not as open about themselves as they are about everything else. the same bonds aren't formed as quickly because it takes more than time to actually know an INTP. to form friendships with them, I have to decide that knowing the person is more important than my pride. it's just usually a big step to take without some reassurance.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Honestly I thought the Western world currently preferred NTs: scientific, rational thinkers. Isn't that part of the dominant culture type? I read somewhere that Americans idealize ENTJs or something like that.

I don't hate NTs. I don't like all of them, but I could say that about any type. Why do you feel that people hate you?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mortabunt is a troll, and he is doing his job trolling. That's why he thinks the whole world hates him.

Plus, I'm pretty sure western civilization idealizes SJs, a lot of work is centered around an environment an SJ would be comfortable in. I'd say the ESJs are idealized as types in culture.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Honestly I thought the Western world currently preferred NTs: scientific, rational thinkers. Isn't that part of the dominant culture type? I read somewhere that Americans idealize ENTJs or something like that.

Nope, it's an SJ culture with strong SP tendencies.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Even schools are arranged toward pushing SJ students through -- which is a little screwed-up, as the methods involved don't actually involve learning on anyone's part. What they do is allow S-oriented students to leap some proscribed hurdles and claim a tool to help them succeed in the world. Meanwhile all the NTs who are actually interested in learning something are instead left memorizing lists of arbitrary junk...

finnegan

MBTI Type
INTP
I agree with BlackCat and MacGuffin, that the general culture is set up for SJs, especially ESJs. I find that I'm usually invisible to the general population, so I have to make sure I find manager sponsors in my job that realize that what I do is important to the organization so that I'm treated fairly (e.g. getting fair pay, getting onto the good projects).

In academia, it is totally different, where NT is king. I did like the intellectual part of academia, but I found the whole "publish or die" part of the equation a bit much since I just felt like I had to prove myself over and over, ad infinitum.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Even schools are arranged toward pushing SJ students through -- which is a little screwed-up, as the methods involved don't actually involve learning on anyone's part. What they do is allow S-oriented students to leap some proscribed hurdles and claim a tool to help them succeed in the world. Meanwhile all the NTs who are actually interested in learning something are instead left memorizing lists of arbitrary junk...

I have that experience a lot myself. We just learn the SOL stuff, which is just a joke. Just keep on putting in answers until they match up. The NT's that watn to learn have probably already found out what they were after on the first day after getting the textbook.

P.S.: I am not trolling.

Vildechaya

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Some people feel threatened by our emotional distance, and resistance to manipulation. They "feel" that they should be able to "reason" with us.
The word "reason" has a very different meaning for us.

Frank

I thought it was intps who hated the world. I've always liked the few people I know that are intp. Probably the most logically intelligent people I have ever met.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The INTPs I've known were funny, easy-going, and not overly attached to the acceptance of others. Possibly the majority of environments are in some way out-of-step with the INTP way of operating and thinking so that employment can cause issues of demoralization and internal shut-down, but this does not equate to people hating INTPs. The one's I know are charming and likeable. I've also known cases where if the whole world hated them, they might think it was funny, be frustrated when it conflicted with their own mode of operating, but seriously not care about it like most people would. I worked for years to emulate that sort of detachment. It is necessary for survival I think, and I've known few who have it in spades like the INTP.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
The INTPs I've known were funny, easy-going, and not overly attached to the acceptance of others. Possibly the majority of environments are in some way out-of-step with the INTP way of operating and thinking so that employment can cause issues of demoralization and internal shut-down, but this does not equate to people hating INTPs. The one's I know are charming and likeable. I've also known cases where if the whole world hated them, they might think it was funny, be frustrated when it conflicted with their own mode of operating, but seriously not care about it like most people would. I worked for years to emulate that sort of detachment. It is necessary for survival I think, and I've known few who have it in spades like the INTP.

I don't really know, while this detachment works well in certain environments, when it comes to relationships it's absolutely disastrous. It makes me wonder why NFs like us at all. It is difficult to explain to someone the complete apathy one can have for another's situation. My mom thought I needed psychological help, as she's Fe dom. I just...don't care, most of the time.