• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Does the world hate INTP's? All types welcome.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
They are taught to believe that they are inferior in the sphere of interpersonal relations - socially maladjusted, geeky, clumsy, awkward - and tend to devalue themselves, so frequently are skeptical that anyone could really be interested in them. Beyond that, even if they are awesome and know it, few people understand them or get to see anything other than the default vacant expression / blank stare, so they believe it unlikely that they'd attract interest, or if they do, it's for the "wrong" reasons. The ability to reinterpret the same data in 1001 different ways, coupled with an aversion for premature conclusions, means that they tend to err on the side of caution when assessing other's motives. And the drive for objectivity and need for self-sufficiency mean they are less likely to project their own desires onto the object of their desires.

I've been smacked on the head with a marriage proposal before having any idea that someone was into me, but I am pretty damned oblivious, even for an INTP. :D

Wow. That is absolutely perfectly it, in a nutshell. I'm tempted to put THAT on a t-shirt. :smile:

Additionally, some of us learn to function juuuuuuust well enough to "pass" as a more social type in the real world, which leads others to expect us to act a certain way when they befriend us or try to have a relationship with us. And then take it personally when we're not what they expected. I have never figured out a way around this.

I couldn't have said it better than either Morgan or Tal. This is *exactly* the issue as I've always seen it. I don't think people generally hate INTP's (the mature ones, anyway -- an immature INTP can be pretty obnoxious :D). But there is a disconnect between your stereotypical INTP and the population at large -- a disconnect that's probably more severe than people of most other types may experience. I think that part of it is that others seldom see (or are allowed to see) in INTP's what INTP's see in themselves. It's not so much a hate as a misunderstanding that people (including the INTPs) may not make the effort (or have the ability) to bridge.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I am surprised when I hear people say how much they like me when they sure don't seem to much one way or the other. I guess when someone decides they like us it is usually a default win. Like how I vote for President...I don't vote for a person to win; I vote against them.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The good thing about oblivion is that one doesn't realize when one is hated either. :D
The depth of other people's feelings is almost always a surprise to me. I suppose because I don't have strong opinions about most people and ask only to be left alone, I tend to assume a similar neutrality on the part of others. More often than not, I'm am surprised by how much people like me / are attached to me - which I usually only find out when I'm leaving them behind. I put it down to "mere exposure effect". It's not that I don't know how to be likeable, it's just that I seldom make the effort, because it requires that I suppress large parts of who I am, for a reward that frankly, often feels more like a burden.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I just realized that I have no idea how my friends really feel about me. I never bring it up as I feel it's too awkward. I assume they still like me. This is a different type of obliviousness, I suppose.

Frederico Rogeiro

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I think people hardly notice us, and definitly don't hate us. Why should they? We don't mind in their busineses and don't harm them at all.
If people stop to think about us, they probably find us strange and pointless, but being an INTP implies to accept it fairly. After all, deep down we think the same about most common people.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think people hardly notice us, and definitly don't hate us. Why should they? We don't mind in their busineses and don't harm them at all.
If people stop to think about us, they probably find us strange and pointless, but being an INTP implies to accept it fairly. After all, deep down we think the same about most common people.

:D

7thsomebody

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I am an INTP, and I have come to the conclusion that at least 90% of people hate me. Is this congruous with what you other INTP's experience? Other types chime in as well. Keep it clean and on topic.

what? how is this possible? the two INTPs i have met hit it off with a ridiculous bang. I adore them (INTPs), fancied them both like mad, as they did me and well I love them and hope to meet another soon. They are incredibly intellectual but appreciate my zaniness and we have unbelievable chemistry. Maybe its just an ENFP-INTP thing, I don't know...

7thsomebody

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
We are actually quite accomplished at getting lost. Stupid grins we leave up to the ENFPs.

:yes:

Miaow! Talk about getting your claws out. Stupid grin is totally unnecessary and far too subject to be accurate. How about you define 'stupid' and then explain why you assume ENFPs are the perpetrators of them?

IntrovertedThinker

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Verily. I often feel like a black man, or a gay person. I feel like a social outcast that other people just don't accept. As such, I often feel lonely, misunderstood, and a bit frustrated with other people. Most of the time, they make me feel uncomfortable, like I'm a goofy clown geek — like on that Revenge of the Nerds movie. So I usually feel depressed and alienated, as if people just don't like me. It's an ugly feeling.

7thsomebody

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Verily. I often feel like a black man, or a gay person. I feel like a social outcast that other people just don't accept.

I'm a black female - I almost never feel like a social outcast. But hey - I live in multicultural London... where are you from that these people are treated in such a manner? Also - this is awful to hear, that you feel like an outcast but you should consider the people who are not accepting you. Are they interesting, intellectually and creatively? Do they inspire anything in you, or intrigue you? Are they people you actually want to relate to? If not then possibly the feeling of rejection is more hurtful than the people who are rejecting you. If so consider that these particular individuals are not people you would choose to spend time with anyway. This probably sounds 2D and like a simple solution compared to what you are experiencing. I cannot begin to imagine what you are going through, or why because as I said a. I am not going through and b. mainly, I love INTPs. Every one of them I have met I have adored. I find introverted people on principle more interesting and intriguing than extroverts anyway. They have so much to reveal and NT's rational relationship to ideas and structures is just something I adore. Anyway my point is I am sorry that my response cannot really go the distance as far as helping you. I hope your plight changes soon...

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I believe that many INTPs believe the world hates INTPs. And why wouldn't we? We have to come up with some concrete reasons for why we are where we are. Complacency isn't for everyone, we have all the time in the world to speculate on what others think of us.

rav3n

Does the world hate INTP's? No. Like every other type, there are some INTPs worth disliking and others who are great!

Something I've noticed is when feelings are the inferior function with Tx and Nx as dominant and auxiliary functions, we can internally spiral downwards since we create possibility loops.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
your never hated or liked as much as you think

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
The oblivious bit? Or the crazy stalker bit?:)
INTPs are in their heads most of the time and oblivious to just about everything in their environment, unless it is a focus of study, in which case it is scrutinized to excess.

They are taught to believe that they are inferior in the sphere of interpersonal relations - socially maladjusted, geeky, clumsy, awkward - and tend to devalue themselves, so frequently are skeptical that anyone could really be interested in them. Beyond that, even if they are awesome and know it, few people understand them or get to see anything other than the default vacant expression / blank stare, so they believe it unlikely that they'd attract interest, or if they do, it's for the "wrong" reasons. The ability to reinterpret the same data in 1001 different ways, coupled with an aversion for premature conclusions, means that they tend to err on the side of caution when assessing other's motives. And the drive for objectivity and need for self-sufficiency mean they are less likely to project their own desires onto the object of their desires.

I've been smacked on the head with a marriage proposal before having any idea that someone was into me, but I am pretty damned oblivious, even for an INTP. :D

This post is spot-on. I often wonder what people get out of hanging out with me, but apparently I do bring something to the table in social interactions because people keep wanting to hang out with me.

But then my inner paranoia suggests that maybe they're just being nice.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love most of the INTPs I know :blush:

They're awesome. They're like INTJs, just without the asshole-ness.

Where INTJs are

lincoln-memorial-address.jpg

INTPs are

living_statues_contest_47.jpg

You guys have life and dimension while still having the NT qualities that make you so unique :blush:

If I've ever met an INTP I didn't like, it was rare, and I don't remember. And some of the best friends I have that are NTs are INTPs. You guys are awesome :laugh:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Where INTJs are

INTPs are

You guys have life and dimension while still having the NT qualities that make you so unique :blush:

If I've ever met an INTP I didn't like, it was rare, and I don't remember. And some of the best friends I have that are NTs are INTPs. You guys are awesome :laugh:

If Abraham Lincoln was an asshole, he was the most awesome asshole ever.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If Abraham Lincoln was an asshole, he was the most awesome asshole ever.

Not Abraham Lincoln the person.

Abraham Lincoln the statue :shock:

I mean, seriously. That arm-clutch-constipated look makes him look like he has a massive stick up his butt lol

And then just something about the pure white of the marble makes it look even more serious... I use that picture for all IxTJs lol

It just fits them so well :devil:

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey, Abe was my favorite prez!!! You....you hate me!!! T-T

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Where INTJs are

INTPs are

This post more properly goes in this thread.