• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Easter dinner with a table full of sensors

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
There's got to be someone with a family like this. Do you go along with the talk and let it exhaust you, or ignore it and sit there? I can't take it anymore. Someday soon I'll be across the country and my parents won't be around.

juggernaut

Permabanned
I bring the laptop and step away from the table at the earliest opportunity.

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
It really depends what they are talking about.
If they talk about why Brad pitt is hot, or some crap along that line.

Well, if i feel bit like an asshole i can start provoking a discussion regarding how he is not so great. or try to change the subject.
Usually there is at least 1 or 2 SP in the group, which will take the bait and join along.
No matter how boring the topic i can usually lead to the direction which is relatively interesting for me and my party.

There's one exception...

Just.. not sports... that's a death sentence for me...
If they talk about football or hockey, etc. Oh gosh... i dont even know what i'll do.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Here's a though. Direct the conversation till you find common ground.

Sensors are not incapable of in-depth discussions you know. Besides it’s just dinner right.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
deal with it.

if it dont kill you, it makes you stronger...or at least youll have a full tummy

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I just go. I grew up with all these people, so I guess I got used to it. At least I know why they don't "get" me, now.

Manimal

MBTI Type
INFP
everyone in my family is ST so i can relate. i usualy just disapeer for hours at a time then when im bored i enguage them in some seriously idealistic conversation, like the meaning of life or the latest conspiracy circaling the internet. after about an hour the women usualy leave the room offended or on information over load and my brother just gets irritated that i refuse to see reason (things his way). lol good times..

but its all in good fun i actualy get along great with my family they are wonderfull!!!

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's got to be someone with a family like this. Do you go along with the talk and let it exhaust you, or ignore it and sit there? I can't take it anymore. Someday soon I'll be across the country and my parents won't be around.

What do they talk about? Sports? The news? When you want to talk about nuclear physics or what it would be like if we were all fruit?

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
a table full of sensors at Easter dinner = bleh

a table full of sensors @ easter dinner + my ISTP stepdad pointing out inconsistant/odd shit that no one feels comfortable acknowledging = priceless.

Plz, think of the ISTPs.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
What do they talk about? Sports? The news? When you want to talk about nuclear physics or what it would be like if we were all fruit?

That was the best line ever. :rofl1:

When I'm at the table, I just play along. My goal is always to make others comfortable in my presence and I don't want anyone to feel that they are not valued or their interests are not important. But even I have my limits. In which case, I just stfu and listen. You don't have to join in every conversation if you have nothing to say.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP

If i get too bored i phase out and leave asap either that or stir up a bit of argument. My sis is an INFP so we Ne-wind up my ESTJ dad who doesn't understand that he is having the piss taken out him. Or he understands we are laughing at him but not any of the jokes.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm too busy cooking to care what they're talking about.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are they the kinds of people that just sit around and talk about sports or what? I don't have a problem with talking with people unless they're like that (talking about stupid things), much less sensors.

Frank

I am either quiet or pushing the envelope a little with the conversation while trying not to make anyone too uncomfortable. I have to steer away from debate topics as I can come off as pretty intense and sometimes hurt peoples feelings unintentionally. Other times I'll just do oddball shit to try and entertain. Last year I ate a spoonfull of the hottest horse-radish made on a dare from my brother.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
It highly depends on how I feel, sometimes I'll be giggly and cheery and play along and at other times I'll be all critical, sarcastic and non-responsive. In general, I like the family atmosphere, though.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Alienation.

Ear plugs during the supper, weed before it.
You'll be fine.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
all i know is that no one was interested in my discussion about what our executive branch is doing to help remedy the drug war situation in mexico. :(

but talking about my stepmom's ovaries and her so called weight loss were the topics of the night. how fun.:doh:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
all i know is that no one was interested in my discussion about what our executive branch is doing to help remedy the drug war situation in mexico. :(

Oy. That's the kind of current events-type stuff I'd be steering my sensors away from. :smile:

I think at this point, I'm just immune to talk about who's doing what and who's seeing whom in our town, etc. I just kind of go to a happy place in my own brain. Really, the more invisible I can make myself, the better, because that means no one asks me questions about my job, who I'm seeing, etc., etc. I hate answering stuff like that.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
You have two options as I see it, kill yourself or kill all of them. I would go with the latter and justify it with the fact that one iNtuitive is worth at least 8-10 Sensors.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP

a table full of sensors at Easter dinner = bleh

a table full of sensors @ easter dinner + my ISTP stepdad pointing out inconsistant/odd shit that no one feels comfortable acknowledging = priceless.

Plz, think of the ISTPs.

With this in mind (and thanks for the invite, nozf :hi:)...
Try this on for size, run:

You're going to need to deal with the fact, sooner or later, that people are different than you. It won't matter how far across the country you are from what you think your problems are, because you're going to have to deal with similar problems your whole life. Everywhere.
Whether S or N, T or F, or any other arbitrary distinguishing characteristic, everyone has to deal with other people whom they don't want to.

It might seem like the easiest solution is to sit there and try to ignore it while staying insulated inside your own head, but that's just going to make things more tiring. Ultimately, the path of least resistance is to just adapt to it so you can enjoy it.

I know, I know, you don't have feelings to consider and don't need to enjoy anything, but while you're not distracting yourself with that, it comes down to this: do you really want to spend your time (cue existential angst) feeling like crap, or would you rather find something to enjoy in it? Your choice.